How long should a vacuum be pulled? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I've left a pump on over night more then once.

Those dang 40 ton condensers with barrels and 180' linesets just take time to get down.
    I know this thread is going astray but I think all you answered the OPs question very well.

I wasnt talking about a 40 ton just a 2 ton my newest guy was working on today. His logic was that since it would only pull 24" following a compressor change well duh just leave the pump running must be dirty. Grinds my %^&$ and tickles me pink. His quages were about 5 pounds out of calibration too low and seal in the hoses hi connect was bad. The system was indeed tight though. Oh well live and learn and comp some time.

We do a lot of 100 ton plus stuff and even then we can pull most of them down in fairly short order with a proper pump.

How long? Until it's done of course

It doesn't happen on time - it happens on quality of vacuum. When the quality is correct - the time is done. But not before.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by airon View Post
    I know this thread is going astray but I think all you answered the OPs question very well.

I wasnt talking about a 40 ton just a 2 ton my newest guy was working on today. His logic was that since it would only pull 24" following a compressor change well duh just leave the pump running must be dirty. Grinds my %^&$ and tickles me pink. His quages were about 5 pounds out of calibration too low and seal in the hoses hi connect was bad. The system was indeed tight though. Oh well live and learn and comp some time.

We do a lot of 100 ton plus stuff and even then we can pull most of them down in fairly short order with a proper pump.

He was using his charging gauges to pull a vacuum and read it?

[QUOTE=bobb25;1774455 Know what a Bimba valve is? [/QUOTE]

Leave my wife out of this.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Oh, you mean the cylinder that opens the air shutter.
    Contractor locator map

Oh, you mean the cylinder that opens the air shutter.
    Yea, was sent on a call for loud start up. Bad Bimba valve. Called in and the boss said it didn't have to work, just light it off on high fire, 28gpm. Boy, you should have seen that thing take off. About a 50# cast iron door would blow wide open on every start. LOL

LOL.

I have one that I use to light off on 21 GPH. Had to wait for a relay to come in.
    Its back to normal now.

Anything over 30, I let run on low until the part comes in. (next day air )

Hope you got one on order.
    Contractor locator map

LOL.

I have one that I use to light off on 21 GPH. Had to wait for a relay to come in.
    Its back to normal now.

Anything over 30, I let run on low until the part comes in. (next day air )

Hope you got one on order.
    No, boss said it hadn't worked in years, and leave it like that. Only worked there a short time and quit. Wouldn't let me take service truck home, wanted me to leave all my tools in the truck every night in an open lot, and wouldn't pay me for the time it took to load and unload my tools.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    wanted me to leave all my tools in the truck every night in an open lot, and wouldn't pay me for the time it took to load and unload my tools.
    Dang, that would bite.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by airon View Post
    His logic was that since it would only pull 24" following a compressor change well duh just leave the pump running must be dirty. Grinds my %^&$ and tickles me pink. His quages were about 5 pounds out of calibration too low and seal in the hoses hi connect was bad. The system was indeed tight though.
    Sounds to me like you aren't useing a micron guage. No technician can be a good technician without one. That would have told him in short order if it was tight or not. If you don't use them you are short changing your customers.
    Buy American! The job you save may be your own.

Dang, that would bite.
    One night I got a service call. Drove 30 miles one way. Loaded all my tools into service van. Drove to within 3 miles of my house. Half hour service call. Drove back to shop. Unloaded tools and drove home. They would only pay me from the time I left their lot to the time I got back. That was enough for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12