Frankenstein monster help... - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I still say this entire subject belongs in a secure area.

Mods Please Move It

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I still say this entire subject belongs in a secure area.

Mods Please Move It

Move it to the
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    To remark that unless you went to school you havent learn isnt fair to a lot of people that could teach us all something at some point.
    I'm not saying schooling is all you need. Hands on experience is the best teacher, but if someone doesn't understand basic engineering principles of heating and cooling, they're not only fighting an up-hill battle, they're probably going to get hurt sooner or later.

What happens if he tries to fill a container completely full of liquid on a cold day and drives around with it in his van on a hot day? What happens if he installs another zone on a heater and the only place available is by removing a relief valve, and the end of the expansion tank blows out and across the basement?

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Yelram

Yes this is the site for questions to be asked. But just sit back and reread the entire post from the beginning. You’re original question was:

This opening statement leaves much to be asked about you’re abilities. I’m not busting your balls here but have tried to educate you, by giving you an answer and also by trying to get you to think at the same time.

All of us have made mistakes. This is how we learn. My mentor told me more then once If it wasn’t for our mistakes we’d all be stupid so learn by you’re mistakes.

You’ve been given a lot of answers, maybe there not the ones you want to here, well life’s a *****. Get over it.

Personally I’ve never stopped learning and never will until they bury my ass.

Grow a thicker skin; Wake up every morning with the attitude “Its going to be a good day” Don’t take any of this personally, Life’s to short

Umm, I didnt do anything wrong. Quit being a jerk for no reason. I set up my friend with a unit we took out under warranty, it didnt take much time, and it didnt cost him much money, and his dogs didnt die in his 90 degree trailer over the summer so STFU. We installed the same model unit, but a 3 ton, in our shop, and its still running beautifully. And I dont care about what you think, because you are a jerk.... Oh and maybe somehow you assumed that an aspen coil isnt matched or something, it is, we use them in situations where we dont have alot of height. They are approved for use with our units, I just assumed when anyone heard "aspen" they would know what I meant.

Next hater...

Spotts.

Quote Originally Posted by spots
    I'd like to belittle you a little, but why waste my time. Put it in, blow it up, and do it again. What kinda idiot would even keep a used A/C system for 6 years unprotected, then try to install it. Cut it up for scrap metal, thats all it is now. And you have another used 2½ ton compressor?????? Why????? Your not really in the biz are you? Your a garage sale mechanic, installing equipment bought at garage sales, etc. Huh?
    Our family has been in business since 1976, I personally have been working installing furnaces since I was young. We keep things, we arent stupid wasteful big company idiots. We have over 50 used oil burners that we often sell, thats 100 bux you would have thrown in the garbage, good for you, you're a wasteful idiot, and you probably would have charged a hard working customer 3 to 4 times that because in your tiny little world a new one is the only option. It was being kept mainly for controls, but when my friend asked me, it was taking up space, and I gave him a good deal, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. if you think there is, you need your friggin head checked. I have cut up 100s of acs and heatpumps, but those were all taken out because of blown compressors, or upgrades, and they were junk. I even keep the brass screws out of old units. Short wires with terminals on both sides. I keep all kinds of stuff. There are units we have parts for that you cannot buy. You may like to bid a new furnace because of some simple part you cant get, but our customers would not be happy with that. I dont care what you think, i'm looking for answers to questions, not your personal opinions.

Bobb25, If you think because I wanted to know the specifics of a larger compressor in a smaller unit that somehow means I dont understand thermostatic expansion, or the use of a pressure relief valve, I really feel bad for you. I knew that stuff when I was 16. I find it quite funny that someone would have to go to school to learn what a "pressure relief" valve is. My guess about you is that you are a young schoolie, probably younger than me. Probably under 50 service calls in your life. But thats just an unsubstantiated guess.
    Last edited by yelram; 02-27-2008 at 07:23 PM.

double post.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    I see nothing wrong with asking questions, everyone needs to constantly learn, but coming on a message board is no substitute for going to school and at least learning the basics.

School didn't sink in much until I sat down here and had a few good conversations about why something was not correct. In my case it was mis matching equipment and ended in something like a 400 or 500 post thread. Now my school work means so much more.....did I pass the test...yes...did I truly understand it or comprehend even the basics...no....not at least until I sat down here with some folks from the educational committee. In my case I'm a lone soldier not much chance to discuss proper techniques if no one around you even knows what your talking about.

Even then I'm still a rookie at best by I do learn (believe it or not ) and I do listen.

Quote Originally Posted by yelram View Post
    Bobb25, If you think because I wanted to know the specifics of a larger compressor in a smaller unit that somehow means I dont understand thermostatic expansion, or the use of a pressure relief valve, I really feel bad for you. I knew that stuff when I was 16. I find it quite funny that someone would have to go to school to learn what a "pressure relief" valve is. My guess about you is that you are a young schoolie, probably younger than me. Probably under 50 service calls in your life. But thats just an unsubstantiated guess.
    If I was your dad, I would have told you the same thing "it probably won't work", because he is most likely fed up with your attitude problem. Grow up and get the chip off your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    If I was your dad, I would have told you the same thing "it probably won't work", because he is most likely fed up with your attitude problem. Grow up and get the chip off your shoulder.
    Well I noticed you deleted your "When I was your age" post, but i'm going to respond to it anyway. When you were my age, you STARTED going to school. You didnt already have over 10 years worth of experience. You didnt know how to lay out ductwork, diagnose furnaces, install boilers, heatpumps, all things I have been involved with since before I could drive a car. If I went to school it would be a big waste of my time, and money. I am in the ultimate school, the school of hard knocks, but I appreciate those of you who offer your help, and answer my questions without an "attitude". I respond to attitude with attitude.

Well I noticed you deleted your "When I was your age" post, but i'm going to respond to it anyway. When you were my age, you STARTED going to school. You didnt already have over 10 years worth of experience. You didnt know how to lay out ductwork, diagnose furnaces, install boilers, heatpumps, all things I have been involved with since before I could drive a car. If I went to school it would be a big waste of my time, and money. I am in the ultimate school, the school of hard knocks, but I appreciate those of you who offer your help, and answer my questions without an "attitude". I respond to attitude with attitude.

School is never a waste of time. With your exp. and schooling. You would be answering the questions you have yourself. just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    School is never a waste of time. With your exp. and schooling. You would be answering the questions you have yourself. just my .02
    I went to college for two years, and it was the biggest waste of time I've ever experienced. The professors would tell you to read the book, then you'd come to class and they'd read the book real slow, so that the people who dont absorb what they read could have it spoon fed to them. I will always have unorthodox questions. I am a question asker, almost to a fault. I learn through feeding my inquisitiveness. Not through regurgitation. I more or less knew the answer to the question I asked, but was hoping someone would like it wont work unless you ________. But alas, no such luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    I've been at this hvac/facilities thing in one capacity or another since 1980. Not only do I learn things all the time in the field, I've returned to school to get a degree. I'm finding that even with a good amount of time in the saddle, there's gaps in the knowledge banks in my mind that are being filled as I go through the HVAC program at my local community college, which has a reputation of having one of the best associate degree level HVAC programs in the state of Texas.

I have no doubt some schools exist out there that really are a waste of time...the instructors are uninspired and fail to motivate their classes to develop a hunger for this trade. That's a shame, as this trade is plenty vast enough...anyone with a strong curiosity will have to go a long way to run the well dry....and I doubt that could even happen. The pace of change is always keeping things fresh.

I went to college for two years, and it was the biggest waste of time I've ever experienced. The professors would tell you to read the book, then you'd come to class and they'd read the book real slow, so that the people who dont absorb what they read could have it spoon fed to them. I will always have unorthodox questions. I am a question asker, almost to a fault. I learn through feeding my inquisitiveness. Not through regurgitation. I more or less knew the answer to the question I asked, but was hoping someone would like it wont work unless you ________. But alas, no such luck.
    Putting aside previous comments. You don't say what courses you were taking, but there's a big difference between a regular college and a good HVAC school. They deal in specifics that you can readily relate to, not in stuff you'll never use in a million years. Most trade school teachers have worked in the field. Sure you can learn out in the field, but in one night at trade school, you can sometimes learn more than a year in the field. You have very little to lose and a lot to gain by trying.

Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia
    Without going back to re-read all of your posts, I think you mentioned a question about putting in an undersized compressor. I have, in my home, a 3 ton Trane HP in which I installed a 2.5 ton compressor. The loss of dehumidification capacity relative to the loss of BTU capacity was offset by the increased run time of the unit. It has worked beautifully for 4 years. I'd much rather see a slightly undersized compressor installed in your situation than an over sized compressor. I'm with the others though.. it's free, put it in and post the results. I'm curious. I don't think it was a stupid question, a dumb question, an unnecessary question, or a question that would justify the beating you've taken. As to the moving to a different forum, this post doesn't contain step by step nor DIY and would probably give HO's a pretty scary insight as to how we treat each other. Good luck.
    "Surprised ?! If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised."
    Clark Griswold

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast