Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

bobb25 -

What do you think? You must have an opinion on the subject?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

I asked first, so you tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by yelram View Post
    What is the unit of measurement for freon flow? Obviously BTUs can give you an idea of how much is being moved, but is it measured in CCs or litres? Whats the unit of displacement. I also asked earlier what sort of situation an undersized compressor would cause. I know the obvious lower capacity, but as far a longevity goes.
    Unit of measurement for refrigerant flow:

• BTU per pound circulated
    • Feet per minute
    • Cubic feet per minute
    As the Poodleman said, lower capacity compressors coupled to higher surface area coils equals lower compression ratios...and tends to tilt the pyschrometric angle toward higher sensible capacity since the evaporator coil will run warmer at higher suction pressures.

There is much discussion regarding higher SEER systems not performing as well in humid climates compared to the system it replaced. The reason being the latent capacity is not as it needs to be for the locale and/or building.

In short, if you undersize the compressor in relation to coil size, you will increase sensible heat transfer, but at the expense of dehumidification ability.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    Do most of the "Professional Members" on this forum have about this same level of technical competence as 'yelram'?
    Why is everyone digging on me? WTF did I do to deserve this? Would you rather I pretend I know everything when I dont? I install residential systems. I want to learn more, i'm friggin 25 years old. I never saw you answer my original question, instead you assumed I made a mistake that only an absolute idiot would make. Its not like I went "Oh yeah a 4 ton compressor, that'll work for sure" I saw the free compressor, I knew my friend had a bad compressor, and I wondered what the exact problem with putting it in there would be. Obviously I knew that a correctly sized compressor would be the way to go. If a person cant ask a question on here without being pounded by a bunch of negative nancies who think they know everything and always have, whats the point of this forum? So a bunch of guys who think everyone but them is a hack can have cannon fodder after work? I've been helping install furnaces since I was 13, I was working in the metal shop in second grade. I've had alot of service experience, but i've never needed to worry about the consequences of installing a higher capacity compressor in a lower capacity system. If you want a pissing war, take it somewhere else, i'm here to learn about systems from people who know more than me, and are willing to share their knowledge without belittling me.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Unit of measurement for refrigerant flow:

• BTU per pound circulated
    • Feet per minute
    • Cubic feet per minute
    As the Poodleman said, lower capacity compressors coupled to higher surface area coils equals lower compression ratios...and tends to tilt the pyschrometric angle toward higher sensible capacity since the evaporator coil will run warmer at higher suction pressures.

There is much discussion regarding higher SEER systems not performing as well in humid climates compared to the system it replaced. The reason being the latent capacity is not as it needs to be for the locale and/or building.

In short, if you undersize the compressor in relation to coil size, you will increase sensible heat transfer, but at the expense of dehumidification ability.
    Thank you for your help, you and poodleman should be teachers. I have many other questions, but from now on i'll just pm you two.

Why is everyone digging on me? WTF did I do to deserve this? Would you rather I pretend I know everything when I dont? I install residential systems. I want to learn more, i'm friggin 25 years old. I never saw you answer my original question, instead you assumed I made a mistake that only an absolute idiot would make. Its not like I went "Oh yeah a 4 ton compressor, that'll work for sure" I saw the free compressor, I knew my friend had a bad compressor, and I wondered what the exact problem with putting it in there would be. Obviously I knew that a correctly sized compressor would be the way to go. If a person cant ask a question on here without being pounded by a bunch of negative nancies who think they know everything and always have, whats the point of this forum? So a bunch of guys who think everyone but them is a hack can have cannon fodder after work? I've been helping install furnaces since I was 13, I was working in the metal shop in second grade. I've had alot of service experience, but i've never needed to worry about the consequences of installing a higher capacity compressor in a lower capacity system. If you want a pissing war, take it somewhere else, i'm here to learn about systems from people who know more than me, and are willing to share their knowledge without belittling me.
    Your "dads been doing this 30 years, and his best answer was it probably wont work". If you're looking for politeness, go talk to your dad. Maybe you should start listening to him more anyway. Maybe, just maybe he knows what he's talking about. If you want to learn more, don't come on a message board, go to night school.

Your "dads been doing this 30 years, and his best answer was it probably wont work". If you're looking for politeness, go talk to your dad. Maybe you should start listening to him more anyway. Maybe, just maybe he knows what he's talking about. If you want to learn more, don't come on a message board, go to night school.
    Okay, maybe you are appeased with that answer, and you will always be at your current knowledge level, but for some people, they need to know WHY. Like specifics, because that information is applicable to other things. I wasnt saying "my dad doesnt know what hes talking about". I was saying "Why is what hes saying right or wrong". You have been nothing but a smarta$$ who has yet to do anything to demonstrate even a scrap of technical knowledge beyond "listen to your dad", while criticizing me, a person you dont even know. We have had more problems with people who went to technical school, than self motivated individuals willing to learn. All I know is if people come out of school, and somehow cant do simple things like changing an oil filter, or hanging a lineset, than I want nothing to do with "technical" school. What is your background may I ask? Are you some hvac wizard?

I happen to agree with yelram on this one...this board is primarily an educational tool, IMO. I guess with the title "education committee" under my handle, I'm a bit predisposed to take that position.

Somewhere in yelram's posts I thought I was picking up a desire from him to better understand the various dynamics of a refrigeration system, and the consequences of tweaking it from design. I think my discernment was correct...any desire for a tech on this board or elsewhere to push his knowledge envelope beyond the norm should be encouraged, IMO, even if the approach at first might strike you as a bit off the wall.

Do most of the "Professional Members" on this forum have about this same level of technical competence as 'yelram'?

Personaly i think he is extremly competent. He just like the rest of us wants to learn and inprove. What is the harm in that. As far as the question yes a lot of us ribbed yelman but most was in fun. He also got the answers he wanted and also so did some one else that may have been wondering the same thing and affraid to ask for fear of sounding stupit.

I personaly think it took a great deal of passion for learning to come in here and ask this type of question knowing you will be ribbed and teased even though you will still get an answer.

Yelman keep asking. Best way to learn. Not asking will just heep you where you are. I personaly have learned a great deal from this board and am glad i found it some years ago because all i have done it inprove because of it

I still say but the dam thing in ans see what happens

I see nothing wrong with asking questions, everyone needs to constantly learn, but coming on a message board is no substitute for going to school and at least learning the basics.

Yelram

Yes this is the site for questions to be asked. But just sit back and reread the entire post from the beginning. You’re original question was:

Alright, I broke the cardinal rule and set up a friend of mine with a cheap setup consisting of a 2.5 ton HP that we took out under warranty, and an aspen coil with a TXV, it sits atop his electric furnace in a trailer. The other day he told me it was kicking the breaker, so I checked and it was shorted to ground. My question is, if I shoehorn in a 4 ton compressor I have laying around, how likely is it that I will be changing it again soon? Or is it even feasible? I'm not familiar with mis-matches since we always match our equipment. I'm just looking to get him up and running again before summer as cheap as possible. I appreciate any help.
    This opening statement leaves much to be asked about you’re abilities. I’m not busting your balls here but have tried to educate you, by giving you an answer and also by trying to get you to think at the same time.

All of us have made mistakes. This is how we learn. My mentor told me more then once If it wasn’t for our mistakes we’d all be stupid so learn by you’re mistakes.

You’ve been given a lot of answers, maybe there not the ones you want to here, well life’s a *****. Get over it.

Personally I’ve never stopped learning and never will until they bury my ass.

Grow a thicker skin; Wake up every morning with the attitude “Its going to be a good day” Don’t take any of this personally, Life’s to short

I see nothing wrong with asking questions, everyone needs to constantly learn, but coming on a message board is no substitute for going to school and at least learning the basics.

although this is a point and a good one. You will also find a lot of very good and qualified techs that came up the hard way. Hard knocks is also a good tool. Schooling is great and dont get me wrong but unless you apply what you learn how are you going to learn. If you dont ask how are you going to know the true answer. Doing something with out at least trying to find out will it work or not can make you look bad in the long run

To remark that unless you went to school you havent learn isnt fair to a lot of people that could teach us all something at some point.

I dont plan on doing it, I actually have found out that its a 3.5 ton compressor, so its not quite as bad. Either way I was interested to hear what you guys thought, and found out that some of you can be more accusatory and belittling than others. I appreciate your patience, and help.

I'd like to belittle you a little, but why waste my time. Put it in, blow it up, and do it again. What kinda idiot would even keep a used A/C system for 6 years unprotected, then try to install it. Cut it up for scrap metal, thats all it is now. And you have another used 2½ ton compressor?????? Why????? Your not really in the biz are you? Your a garage sale mechanic, installing equipment bought at garage sales, etc. Huh?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast