Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    The 4.0 compressor won't be doing any more work than the 2.5 was.

The capacitor will need to match the 4.0 though.

I think it will work for heating. Not for cooling as the indoor coil will freeze in cooling mode.

Suction pressure will run low so it may defrost more. But the head pressure will run as high or higher so the heating capacity will be more dependent on the indoor coil sizing.

What the hell? In two hours you can have it up and going.
    Oh oh Mr. Kotter, I know I know...he could put hot gas bypass in, and then his four ton pump might actually survive longer than a day!

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Is this the start of a pool? I'll take 22 hours. (you just never know)
    I give it 72 hours, Is there any money in this pool?

I dont plan on doing it, I actually have found out that its a 3.5 ton compressor, so its not quite as bad. Either way I was interested to hear what you guys thought, and found out that some of you can be more accusatory and belittling than others. I appreciate your patience, and help.

OK I take 72 hrs run time now we know its a 3.5 ton can
    good luck young man keep us informed
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

its kind of like sticking a V8 in a gremlin that had a 4 cyl with all original parts otherwise - it willl run but its days are numbered
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Exclamation

why was it originally removed under waranty ? wouldnt the compressor possibly still be under manufactures waranty ? or is this unit stolen ?

Quote Originally Posted by yelram View Post
    I dont plan on doing it, I actually have found out that its a 3.5 ton compressor, so its not quite as bad. Either way I was interested to hear what you guys thought, and found out that some of you can be more accusatory and belittling than others. I appreciate your patience, and help.
    I think we are that way because we have had to go repair these systems and tell the HO that it is all screwed up and needs replaced. That is not always a pleasant experience, especially if the HO is down on their luck and has no money. I read somewhere that most people move every 2 years, so it is possible some unsuspecting family could get stuck with this system.
    From an operational point of view, as some posts explained, the compressor would pull more gas out of the evap than the metering device could make up. This would cause the pressure to run low and the coil temp would be well below freezing. This would cause the coil to ice up and reduce the air flow (load) even further. The liquid refrig wouldn't boil into gas, and would return to compressor and ruin it. Even if the txv could let through enough refrig, there wouldn't be enough air flow(load) with the undersized fan to boil it off fast enough to keep the pressure up. Matching of all components is crucial to a quality installation. You would be wasting your time to ignore known rules.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    I know...he could put hot gas bypass in, and then his four ton pump might actually survive longer than a day!
    Pfft... hacks... go back to school! Everyone knows that an EPR is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by dave82323 View Post
    why was it originally removed under waranty ? wouldnt the compressor possibly still be under manufactures waranty ? or is this unit stolen ?
    They had problems with the capillary tubes rubbing through, and then the lack of a low pressure switch led to alot of problems, and we ended up changing alot of them out under warranty. Even if the unit still had its numbers, it wouldnt be covered, so it doesent matter. Heres a couple more questions that you guys will probably call me stupid for. What is the unit of measurement for freon flow? Obviously BTUs can give you an idea of how much is being moved, but is it measured in CCs or litres? Whats the unit of displacement. I also asked earlier what sort of situation an undersized compressor would cause. I know the obvious lower capacity, but as far a longevity goes.

An undersized compressor would increase efficiency

To a large extent that is the only difference between 6 SEER equipment and 12 SEER equipment - bigger coils. The compression ratio of the compressor falls, suction gas density increases, the compressor draws fewer amps, and so costs less to operate.

I did that years ago. I installed 180 HP compressors with 300 ton air cooled condensers. I had them built with twelve condenser fans and then staged them on and off with pressure controls.

There was no water available for cooling towers.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    To a large extent that is the only difference between 6 SEER equipment and 12 SEER equipment - bigger coils. The compression ratio of the compressor falls, suction gas density increases, the compressor draws fewer amps, and so costs less to operate.

I did that years ago. I installed 180 HP compressors with 300 ton air cooled condensers. I had them built with twelve condenser fans and then staged them on and off with pressure controls.

There was no water available for cooling towers.
    So this leads to my other question, higher seers are the same compressors? And how much of a difference is there in actual coil size? If we are comparing 10 to 13 seer, what percentage larger is the 13 than the 10? Not by weight but by the actual space inside the pipes.

Well; I specifically excluded 13 SEER and higher <g>

Because up to 12 they were the same compressors. That is: the unit tonnage was the sme as the compressor's rating capacity.

With the 13 SEER units that changed. Now an 036 condensing unit most likely has a 24,000 BTU rated compressor in it.

As far as "how much bigger the coils are" - I really don't know but I would be willing to guess that a 13 SEER is 30% larger than a 10 SEER.

Why do you want to know that?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Do most of the "Professional Members" on this forum have about this same level of technical competence as 'yelram'?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast