Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home A/C confused -- please help

Hi there,

I'm new here and have been reading through the forums over that past few days. There's so much information and opinions but yet I still find myself lost. So I figured maybe I'd post something and see if anyone could help me.

I live in Central NY in a 2000 sq foot 2-story house. I been looking into getting central air. My house is fairly new at 4 years old. I currently have a Rheem furnace. In process of finding a good contractor and getting estimates I found out there is aleak in my furnace in that exhaust trap or something like that. Most places that came to give me an estimate told me they will fix the leak for no charge (some will just charge me for the part but not the labor involved to fix the leak). We haven't "needed" central air and up until decided to get it since looking forward if we go to sell our house, most buyer may ask about central air...figuring it's better to have from a seller's standpoint...might as well get it and enjoy it now rather than installing it to sell if that makes any sense.

Anywho, amongst all that, we have receive several quotes one different units. Being torn between going with an R-22 unit versus a R410a unit we are lost not.

We've been quoted a 3 ton unit...for r-22 models
    Trane XR13
    Rheem RAND 13 seer
    Payne PA13
    Armstrong 13 seer

For R410a models:
    Carrier Comfort
    Trane XLi14
    Rheem RANL
    Armstrong 13 seer
    Payne 13 seer

Amongst these I'm leaning towards the Trane XR13, Carrier Comfort (R410a..if the price can be negotiated down), Rheem RANL...should I be considering Payne as well. I read about how there is a shorter warranty on this and yes I get the whole you get what you pay for thing. I keep going back and forth between the whole R-22 versus R410a and my head is spinning. I just don't know what the better choice would be...and as for brand names I have no clue. If it weren't for the leak in the furnace I might just give up and not bother getting the a/c but since they will fix it if we do the whole thing might as well go for it.

Sorry this is so long but I really do appreciate any help any one can provide in this decision.

A Rheem/Ruud coil will be cased and sit perfectly on top of your furnace. I didn't see where you mentioned if it's gas or oil, but Rheem gas and oil flue/vent pipes come out the top, and another brand of cased coil may not fit, or at least will probably look like crap.

Instead of an air conditioner, get a heat pump. It'll be a little more expensive, but you can use outside air to heat your home during milder temperatures, and you will basically have two heat systems if one fails. As for R-22 vs. R410a, generally speaking you will get higher efficiencies with R410a, but the prices are higher also.

Rheem unit will give you good service and R410a is the future, it will provide any future owner the comfort of knowing they are "green" and saving trees.

Ahh yes for got to mention that we have natural gas heat and all the duct work is ready. My husband is between the Carrier and Rheem, I'm more leaning toward the Rheem as well since it seems to have a better reputation than the Payne.

Thank you for all your input. I really appreciate it!

Smile

all units are good except armstrong don't waste your time as for rest all units are going to have about same parts. go for part warr. i know for fact goodman 10yrs.on parts lifetime on heatexchanger/firebox!

You can probably go online and get the Carrier and Payne cased coil measurements. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to match up with your existing furnace, and won't look right. Rheem is a good unit. Ruud is exactly the same, only with a 'U' for the first model number letter.

From a female perspective, the Carrier / Payne colors won't match.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    You can probably go online and get the Carrier and Payne cased coil measurements. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to match up.

From a female perspective, the colors won't match.
    Ahh see you lost me at cased coil....I did see Payne and it is UGLY! Unless they make one to match my black and white house nothing will look right. It's okay though, I plan to hide it behind the garage out of sight for me.

Just curious why she would need a case coil? They come in uncased also! If she has a Rheem now yea it probably would match up if she has the room for a case coil. The contractor would know best on a existing equipment I never use case coils only if one is already there which here is hardly ever except in new homes.

Stay away from Armstrong. Carrier, Rheem, Trane are all good. Payne is a low grade from Carrier. If Twilli was on here he would suggest Coleman the crazy guy. But a good dude he is.

I did read that the Rheem has some Coleman coil of some sort...I gathered from my "research" that Coleman coil is good...right?

My wholesaler stopped stocking uncased coils. Rheem uses a 'Multiflex' coil, which can sometimes be a pain to install in a plenum by itself. If you have the room, it can actually be easier to cut the plenum, slide the case in, connect it, slide the coil inside, and screw on the front cover. Sometimes I do just use the coil and throw out the case.

Space: Never heard that about about Rheem and Coleman. Last I heard, they seriously don't like each other.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGal View Post
    I did read that the Rheem has some Coleman coil of some sort...I gathered from my "research" that Coleman coil is good...right?

Ok I'm a moron...not Coleman...but Copeland. Some Copeland compliant scrool compressor. Sorry totally confused and getting all the names mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGal View Post
    Ok I'm a moron...not Coleman...but Copeland. Some Copeland compliant scrool compressor. Sorry totally confused and getting all the names mixed up.
    NP, Don't get anything that doesn't have a Scroll compressor in it. Rheem/Ruud uses Scrolls in almost everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast