New Lennox System

Looking at following system

Lennox XP19-036
    Lennox CBX32MV-036
    HC-10 or HC-16 Media Filter
    Honeywell IAQ or Lennox Comfort Sence 7000 thermostat

Airhandler is going into a tight closet. If I get the media filter there is not enough room for a humidifier. If you had to choose what would you go with humidifier or media filter? There is possibility of putting a steam humidifier in another location. On coldest days I have seen humidity at 22%.

Will the Lennox thermostat do everything that the Honeywell IAQ will do. They are more familar with this one.

Not much price difference between HC-16 and HC-10. Would the HC16 be more restrictive?

Thanks for any replies

Old Lennox

Which model XP heat pump?

My mistake. XP19

Old Lennox

A nice system.

I assume you are aware that on a 3 ton model, you are light in BTU output both for cooling and heating BTUs. The metrics get a little better with the 048air handler but this may be a moot point if the dimensions are larger than the 036 air handler. See ARI directory if interested.

As far as air filter model, the HC16 is more effective than the HC10. Obviously, the HC16 should be more restrictive but this must not be a concern with Lennox. Your choice.

Does the Lennox control handle dehumidication by controlling the blower speed like the IAQ? I don't know. Is there a cost difference?

Just a couple of thoughts.

IMO

Waiting to get actual specs of system showing latent and sensible capacities. My load calc indicates that 2.5 ton would be best so I should be fine with capacity of 3 ton. Lennox stat says that it controls humidity in fact it looks like the Honeywell IAQ. No price difference in thermostats.

One thing we in the industry should always keep in mind is that many home improvements decrease heat load and loss.

Without the need to have an existing home evaluated for specific heat gain and heat loss, there are several good indicators of an existing homes heating and cooling energy needs.

First off, has the existing system been adequate in conditioning the home? If yes, then more capacity is definitely out and there is a possibility for reducing capacity.

Some reasons for reducing the capacity of a new system are better efficiency, better comfort, less system sound and longer lasting equipment.

If he existing system has been able to condition the home on the most brutal of degree days, and that system still shut down periodically, then that system is for all intent and purposes oversized.

So, assuming an existing 80% furnace with a 100,000 Btu input rating were operating properly, any efficiency upgrade needs to reduce the capacity of the system incrementally. If the 80% furnace kept the home cozy in the most severe weather times, then a new 95% efficient furnace of the same input would automatically provide 15% more capacity then is needed.

Add to this that the existing furnace cycled off during the most severe weather and you can see how not reducing the capacity of the new furnace can create a gross oversizing of your new furnace.

My existing system is an older Lennox HP16 3 ton system. I just moved into home so have not lived through summer. My plan was to wait until Sept. or Oct. to upgrade since I would be more comfortable with real like performance vs. load calc. Ther are some rebates available now and contractor is slow right now so it would be cheaper to do now. Based on load calulation:

Total Heat Gain 25,904 BTUH
    Sensible 21,895 BTUH
    Latent 4,009 BTUH

Heat Loss 39,748 BTUH

I keep indoor temp at 72 or 73 so after derating specs. for this temp I think 3ton is pretty close. 2 ton would be undersized.

What is up with XP19 heat output?

I here you guys talk all the time about Trane's heat output being low. Took advice and checked ARI directory for for Lennox heat pump I was quoted and it seems pretty low to me. It is unfortunate because I liked the contractor and original Lennox lasted 23 years. I am going to look at Carrier. It seems like they are actually putting out 36000 BTU's for a three ton system vs. 32,400 for the Lennox. Is this 3600 BTU's something I should be concerned with?

Thanks

A few BTU here & there does add up.

We used a DOE formula and compared a 36,000 BTU heat pump with a 31,000 BTU heat pump and found in an all electric situation that the unit with less output would add about $60 a year to the heating costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lennox View Post
    Lennox stat says that it controls humidity in fact it looks like the Honeywell IAQ. No price difference in thermostats.
    If I remember correctly, get the IAQ if there is any possibility of a steam humidifier, Honeywell, in the future. I was reading the install instructions for the Honeywell steam humidifier and it is set up to work with the IAQ.
    Lennox stats are rebadged Honeywell's, with minor changes to Lennox specs.
    The IAQ has all the wiring done at the furnace controller and just 3 wires up to the wall mounted stat.
    I am not familiar with the Lennox model you are referring to.