Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

compressor test cord

anybody use a compressor test cord?and how is it connected?
    I'm guessing white to common,black to run,and green to start
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks--jack
    do it right the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by meoff View Post
    anybody use a compressor test cord?and how is it connected?
    I'm guessing white to common,black to run,and green to start
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks--jack
    Do you mean a bump cord?
    A switch that would put 120 volts directly to the compressor?
    We used to make them in school for small domestic refrigeration stuff.

If you wire it that way,YOU WILL PUT YOUR EYE OUT!! I would recommend a good meter,and amp clamp to test with.

Quote Originally Posted by bryn View Post
    If you wire it that way,YOU WILL PUT YOUR EYE OUT!! I would recommend a good meter,and amp clamp to test with.
    I would recomend a lot more basic understanding. Put the tools down Pick up the books.

Smile

Try this
    Products : News : Service : Catalog : International : Company : Contact

Please Select a Category Clamp Meters Multimeters Temperature/Humidity Testers Leak & Pressure Detectors CO Detectors Combustion Analyzers Specialty Testers Insulation Resistance Testers Electrical Testers Motors Transformers Accessories Probes & Thermocouples
    The HA1 analyzes and tests hermetic compressors at up to 25 amps of running current. Connects directly to the compressor motor eliminating the refrigeration system start capacitor.

Features
    3 Ranges of 250 VAC starting capacitors between
    88-301 MFD
    Dual voltage operation of 120/240 VAC
    Indicates continuity & ground faults in motor windings
    with LED lights
    Free locked rotors by reversing motor action
    Convenient breakout jacks for measuring voltage
    and resistance
    Three year limited warranty

Home : Products : News : Service : Catalog : International : Company : Contact
    Best viewed in IE 6, Firefox or Safari at 1024x768
    Copyright 2006 UEi
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

it was a test question and I found it in modern refrigeration and a/c book but in modern refrig. it shows 4 leads and the test only used 3,common run and start.maybe I should contact them and tell them that they are stupid and their information is not correct?or do I merely suggest that they need to get their information correct before they put it in a study manual I had no tools in my hand only a book

Maybe you should have included that information in your original post because I thought the same as the others when I read it. Post the edition of Modern Refrigeration and the page number and maybe one of us can take a look and get a better idea of what you are asking.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBJr View Post
    Maybe you should have included that information in your original post because I thought the same as the others when I read it. Post the edition of Modern Refrigeration and the page number and maybe one of us can take a look and get a better idea of what you are asking.
    the way I posted was probably wrongbut I had never even heard of one and thought that the pro's here would laugh and know exactly what I was talking aboutas I wouldn't think they are that common but that is why I posted in tools and test equipment.I was using the 18th edition and found test cords on pages 428,429,430.on my test they leave only 3 leads for answers,common, start,run.and yes I am smart enough to know to only energise the start momentarily.I would think that a masters test would give all info. and not use something as dangerous as a test cordthat is close to a suicide cord in my opinion as the one they sell to provide a 120v outlet on a 240v source(although I cannot say I haven't used one or don't have one on the truck!)

thanks anyhow---jack

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by meoff View Post
    it was a test question and I found it in modern refrigeration and a/c book but in modern refrig. it shows 4 leads and the test only used 3,common run and start.maybe I should contact them and tell them that they are stupid and their information is not correct?or do I merely suggest that they need to get their information correct before they put it in a study manual I had no tools in my hand only a book
    The original idea was to connect a "Capacitor"

Black-Common
    White-Run
    Green-Start through a "Capacitor"
    also should have a "Momentary-Switch" N/O

Quote Originally Posted by icehouse View Post
    The original idea was to connect a "Capacitor"

Black-Common
    White-Run
    Green-Start through a "Capacitor"
    also should have a "Momentary-Switch" N/O
    thanks icehouseI greatly appreciate your help

Hmm 4 th wire is just a chasis ground green

the forth wire your instructor is thinking of is a chasis ground near the compressor . that is you green wire. and is printed in the hvac books at times. they wrote it that way just for safety measures. theres a permanant split capacitor type that uses a start capacitor wired diferent than some start systems. in any regards you should be able to use a start kit 3 in 1 and remove existing starter relays.. especially on a small frige system under 1 hp.
    if you do a search on the internet you can see the wire diagrams for psc and other types of motors. I too have recently started on the hvac. can allways start small , fridges , then ice machines, then walk ins. roof tops electronics is my next step up.

i seen some in the late 80's. used to unlock commpreessors kind dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by ray mcbriarty View Post
    i seen some in the late 80's. used to unlock compressors kind dangerous
    How so ? I've done this many times. Also my "Annie A-12" is set up with a reversing switch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast