Electric furnace question

I noticed our electric furnace(non heat pump) resistance heat has 2 breakers in the outside panel, one 60 amp and one 30 amp. And there are the same size 2 breakers on the furnace(a handy disconnect I assume). The 60 amp(on the furnace) feeds 3 terminals, one with 3 black wires and one with 3 red wires. The 30 amp(on the furnace) feeds 2 terminals, one white and one blue wire. I happened to notice after the 1st winter in the house that the 30 amp breaker was turned off at the outside panel. This winter I flipped it on, but didn't really notice any difference in the heat. Just wondering what exactly the 30 amp is for? Because when it's off, everything seems to work okay. Is it a backup or what do you think? Thanks very much for any comments.

You most likely have 15kW electric furnace, 10kW on the 60amp breaker and 5 kW on the 30 amp breaker. All the controls and blower are ran of the 60 amp breaker, the 30 amp breaker is just for the 5 kW.

You may want to have your unit checked out to make sure everything is working, the switch that turns on the strip heaters may be malfunctioning. I have seen a few homes almost burn down due to strip heaters malfunctioning.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Me too cavehunter. Worked on alot where the strips have been energized non-stop, cycling on and off with the high limit switches. H.O.'s call and their only compaint is a high elec. bill. Scary.

Wow, that' good to know! I did watch our electric meter as both breakers were turned on and didn't see the meter spin kick up. So hopefully neither strip is being energized non-stop. I did notice the 60 amp breaker(on the furnace) emits a low pitched hum after it's turned on(reminds me of the sound of contacts hung closed). And I agree, very good idea to have it checked out. Thanks again for all comments.