Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replace EAC with media filter

Hi,

I currently have an EAC installed in my HVAC system (new-to-me house). I'm thinking of removing the cells and pre-filters, and putting a 4" pleated media filter (e.g., Filtrete) in the EAC enclosure instead. My reasons are the following:

- Much easier to replace a media filter every 6-12 months than to clean the EAC cells and pre-filters every 1-2 months.
    - Simpler, more straightforward operation with no electronic parts that can fail.
    - No electrical popping/snapping noises.
    - No ozone concerns.

Is this a good idea? Would a 4" media filter be significantly more restrictive to air flow than the EAC cells + pre-filter?

Thanks,
    cinergi

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Nothing wrong with the idea,but almost certanly more restrictive,and I avoid Filtrete Brand.
    Last edited by dash; 02-26-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Just remember to shut off the power.

Also have a technician check the temperature rise with the media filter in place; a blower speed increase might be required to compensate from the additional restriction.

We install EAC's, but only when a customer is already set on the idea. We also replace a lot of EAC's with media filters, AND disconnect the power supply. Not a DIY job. One of the reasons we replace them is the fact that most customers don't know or simply don't want to perform the task of cleaning the pre-filters.

Thumbs up EAC Cell Replacement

We had two Trion EAC's in our home and finally heeded to some of the warnings of their Ozone output an elected to use Honeywell F50 models in them.. For me the 20x25x4 fit perfectly.

With regards to disocnnecting the electrical if your as lucky as I was.. ours had appliance pigtails, we just simply unplugged them. Trion like many uses a thermister type air switch to sense air flow...

Hope this helps you decide what you want to do.
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

I took the cells out of mine and put a Honeywell Pop Up media in their place. House is cleaner now!

Mel, good to see you back on here!

Nothing at all wrong with what you want to do.

All good advice here.

Heed the advice of shutting off the power source before working on the unit.

Irish
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Nothing wrong with the idea,but almot certanly more restrictive,and I avoid Filtrete Brand.
    I didn't know 3M made a Filtrete 4" filter.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    I didn't know 3M made a Filtrete 4" filter.
    They do now available at your favorite home improvement store for cheaper than I sell the Honeywell for.
    To the Op if you have any concern about ozone its a great idea.

Thumbs up Wash or Toss, Its Your Choice

Honeywell has designed our products so they all use a common cabinet size- that allows you to upgrade a disposable media filter to a washable cell, or in your case switch to media. Honeywell offers replacement media filters with various high efficiencies to fit the Honeywell cabinet - from MERV 10 to MERV 13.

You are not alone in your preference - we conducted a recent "blind" survey of 2,500 homeowners (meaning, folks surveyed didn't know HON was asking Q's). What we found is a clear personal preference to either wash or toss.

Q: When it comes to maintaining an air filter for your home,
    which would you prefer?

Homeowner Preference Percent
    Disposable (toss) 47%
    Renewable (wash) 53%

If you are interested in learning more about homeowner's preferences to buy filtration solutions from our industry - a complimentary copy is available at:

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/50-9699.pdf

The recommendations made by the professionals in this thread a correct. BE SURE TO DISCOUNT THE POWER SUPPLY and when in doubt, call a professional to avoid risk and harm to your home.

Thanks for your business

Thanks for all your replies! I performed the swap last night. I turned off the circuit breaker to the EAC, removed the pre-filters, main cells and charcoal post-filters, and installed a Honeywell 20x25x4.5 media filter, which fit perfectly in the housing!

I also called my tech over to check the air flow; there was no significant difference from the values he recorded with the EAC in place last week, and I can't feel any difference in the air flow from the registers either.

So overall, it looks like the swap was successful! I did notice a problem this morning, however. Remember that as part of the swap, I removed the charcoal post-filters because I've never needed any in my previous home, and have never had any odour issues - just a good media filter was always enough. After a night of running the fan without the charcoal filters, however, there was an unpleasant stuffy/musty type of smell throughout the house. Apparently, the charcoal filters had been absorbing this smell before.

So now my problem is, where is this smell coming from? I poked my nose inside the filter housing, vents, etc., but I couldn't find the source, and the air coming directly from the registers doesn't seem to have this smell; it just kind of permeates the whole house. Of course, I could put back the charcoal post-filters, but this is just treating the symptom and not the cause, and it would increase airflow resistance as well. Any ideas? (I realize it's hard to diagnose smells over the Internet ).

Thanks,
    cinergi

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Great survey infromation,thanks for posting it.

so,
    you generate the same amount of dirt | dust each 6 months?

if the filters look dirty, you probably have waited too long to change!

& it seems to me, that Ozone kills germs --
    but then, we are having houses too sterile --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast