Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    MCooling, Im going to sue you for copyright violation!

Thats printed on all our service tickets!
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

I don't know where it originally came from I got it from an outside salesman at a supplier.Sorry

Frown My bad, I had no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by bryn View Post
    Its a shame you coming in here crying about a repair on your furnace.The men in here are mostly HVAC Techs that have spent alot of time practiceing their trade.As a company,the tech should have gave you a up front price to repair your unit.If you didn't like his price,you should waited and gotten another one.Is there another problem you might have on this unit that we can help you with?
    I really just wanted to see if this company was pulling a fast one on me. I had no idea the "professional" service technicians would react so defensively. Please read my next post that follows this one.

This has been a fun post.
    All I know is, I love my VS furnace. I never hear it running. Others can't compare.
    Yes they cost more, but they are very reliable motors.
    And it is very expensive to run an HVAC business. I often think my employer should be charging more than he already does. And we ain't cheap.

So you have two handles?

Quote Originally Posted by irwin_fletcher View Post
    I suppose it would be a bit like f4rting in church for me to point out that you can buy a complete 95% afue variable speed G**dman furnace for less than your original repair quote.

Fletch
    Buying that furnace isn't going to fix the Carrier system installed in his house.
    You ever have to have a new motor or transmission installed in a car? Amazing how much repairs to things can cost when they are part of an integrated system.
    Just had the fuel pump replaced in the van. Wouldn't imagine that something like a fuel pump would cost nearly 7 hundred dollars to replace...it's not even that large...but, that's what it cost. And can't move the darn van at all until it was replaced....
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    well then you really are farting in the wind so to say, no one get to enjoy the smell.
    i hate that when that happens
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

Unless you're the one down wind...then you wonder what's going on!
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Frown The real cost of repairs...

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    A lot of customers assume that the hourly service rate is what a company makes in profit. On the other hand, a lot of people assume that a person who calls himself DrDick on a message board is a medical doctor and/or has a lot of money. I've been told by more than one doctor that they should have gone into another line of work if they wanted to make real money.

I'd like to know two things from the OP.
    1) Was that a flat rate price quoted for the repair, and
    2) Did they end up just replacing the board and still charge 60% of the original quote.
    I'm sorry that you found my handle misleading or confusing, it's not been a problem until now. I'm not one of those customers that you refer to in your post. I come from a family of independent (small) businesses, including HVAC. As a child I remember my dad getting called out for heat emergencies most nigths during the winter months (in Wisconsin). He rarely went undisturbed during the cold season. And unlike "a lot of customers," I know about overhead costs.

1) that was the cost of parts and repair for the fix
    2) I have no idea. I requested the old replaced part and was told that they couldn't give it to me because it was discounted by Carrie? And the final charge was about 40% of the original quote.

Now here's, a new twist: the serviceman that made the repair left an invoice to labor only. When questioned, he said that Carrie had authorized a "free" replacement part so the charge was for labor only! I don't think that the serviceman was supposed to tell me this because just yesterday the manager told me that the lower charge was for the part and labor. So now tell me how honorable this company is; and ask me again why I am suspicious of people in the service industries! I will be following up on this with the office manager tomorrow.

The way I see it is that I owe them for only a couple of hours of labor. The rate they charged me was even more that your doctor makes.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick View Post
    The way I see it is that I owe them for only a couple of hours of labor. The rate they charged me was even more that your doctor makes.
    Did they quote you the price before the repair?
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by hetrola View Post
    Did they quote you the price before the repair?
    They quote a price for the part (discounted by Carrie) and labor. The final bill was for labor only, Carrier gave them the part at no cost (like an extended warranty). If true, they are screwing me roally!

Call and talk to the service manager.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Buying that furnace isn't going to fix the Carrier system installed in his house.
    You ever have to have a new motor or transmission installed in a car? Amazing how much repairs to things can cost when they are part of an integrated system.
    Just had the fuel pump replaced in the van. Wouldn't imagine that something like a fuel pump would cost nearly 7 hundred dollars to replace...it's not even that large...but, that's what it cost. And can't move the darn van at all until it was replaced....
    This is true, but your analogy doesn't quite match up. If you paid $30,000 for your new van, and the friendly, expert mechanic (with a truck, wife, kids, special tools, annual training, etc.) asked you for $29,995 to replace the failed engine a few years later, you would have a valid comparison.

I'm not trying to bust anyone's butt, but when the price to replace a part in an "integrated, installed system" approaches replacement cost of the whole unit, something is wrong.

Love,
    Fletch

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast