Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Smile Ok

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    I wont get into the pricing contest at all

Once the controler is replaced have a static pressure test done on your system. I find most controlers go bad because of having to go beyond thier design because of high static pressure.

keep your filter clean as you possibly can dust isnt good for them either
    a plugged filter will cause a higher then normal static

change it every month if it is a paper filter
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll talk to the service person about this.

I have seen plenty of situations where the whole motor should be replaced & not just the module.
    If the module failed due to condensate leakage the whole motor should be replaced.
    If the motor bearings have failed both should be replaced.(This being by far the largest failure I personally run across!)
    I think that to many times a guy replaces the module with a slight drag on the bearings.
    These motors should be very carefully inspected & evaluated.
    I find many more that should be completely replaced than those that I would feel comfortable with a module replacement only.
    I will say that I work for a high end carrier dealer with way more pieces of vs equipment than standard blowers.
    That being said I will also say that these motors have less than 1/4 of the problems that standard motors seem to have.
    I just do not replace a whole lot of them.
    Take your time & do it right!

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick View Post
    We take sooooo much for granted, when I was a teenager the weren't any PCs let alone chat rooms!

Yes, the fee was the cost of coming to my home and diagnosing the problem, which took well under 1/2 hour. I don't pretend to know what a technician's overhead is in today's world, but my idea of a fair wage for this type of work is about half of what he charged me.
    That makes me feel a little better.

DrDick on channel 19? Still a little scary, to hear DrDick over the CB, how you do'in?

As far as the diagnosis fee, I have to disagree, there is alot of overhead in this buss, and we dont make any money going around giving prices for repairs, If every house we went to, we only collected for the diagnosis we would be out of buss.

The way I look at it is, if you brought your furnace into my shop to get an estimate, then you could get a cheaper price for an estimate.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

I didn't know that I should not discuss prices in my post. I remove the numbers from the figures, I hope that will suffice. I'm a little suspicious of this rule; who is it protecting; no names were revealed? At any rate, I appreciate your comments.

For all who are following this post, the system is 7 years old so the motor is out of warranty. The HVAC service company has worked Carrier and I to get the cost of the repair down to about 40% of the original estimate. Needless to say I am quite relieved. At least now I know what questions to ask if I ever need a new furnace.
    You can be suspicious as thats not one of the rules. The rule is there because there are techs and owners from a wide variety of markets...that being said, noone here can tell you what it should cost because we don't know...unless you show us the financial statements of the company doing the work for you

We take sooooo much for granted, when I was a teenager the weren't any PCs let alone chat rooms!

Yes, the fee was the cost of coming to my home and diagnosing the problem, which took well under 1/2 hour. I don't pretend to know what a technician's overhead is in today's world, but my idea of a fair wage for this type of work is about half of what he charged me.
    But you have to realize that if it had taken him 1.5 - 2hrs to diagnose you probably would still have paid the same fee. The contractor has to figure on the average time for his charge.

This guy is your typical homeowner. He wants something for nothing! I have a friend who is a Pharmacist. He was crying one night when I drove through 10 inches of snow to fix his furnace. I had all the parts on my 4x4 service truck and he was running in an hour. I gave him the bill and he said "I don't make this much in a couple hours!" I smiled and said "I didn't either when I was a Pharmacist!". The point being "skilled pros appreciate quality,timely service and will pay for it when they have too". Find a good dealer who shoots straight and stick with him. I have customers that I now am working on their grandchildrens homes and businesses. Ask your friends and neighbors for references. I am not the cheapest guy out there but if you call me with 2000# of groceries in your walk in, I won't leave till it's fixed! I do,however expect to get paid!

And there is no way anyone could ever convince that the fee that some service providers charge is justified, even considering their overhead!
    You wanna bet! I pull in your driveway with a truck that cost me over $50,000 to put on the road with parts, tools, the truck, signs etc, it gets 9 miles a gallon, I have thousands of dollars worth of parts in stock for all types of repairs, you can bet your bottom dollar I am gonna get top dollar to fix your furnace.

I wanna hear how loud you guys complain when we don't have parts in stock. It cost a ton of money to run a service company. We are not running charities.

Profit is NOT a dirty word.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    You wanna bet! I pull in your driveway with a truck that cost me over $50,000 to put on the road with parts, tools, the truck, signs etc, it gets 9 miles a gallon, I have thousands of dollars worth of parts in stock for all types of repairs, you can bet your bottom dollar I am gonna get top dollar to fix your furnace.

.....and I bet you load 'em like a shotgun too, huh?

Jabs

Thumbs down

DrDick

Complaining about overpaid HVAC technicians on a HVAC forum????

You didn't have to tell me you weren't really a Dr.

Now go on the NRA site and tell them guns suck
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

Quote Originally Posted by markwolf View Post
    If the motor bearings have failed both should be replaced.(This being by far the largest failure I personally run across!)
    I think that to many times a guy replaces the module with a slight drag on the bearings.
    The motor portion of them could almost be called overbuilt.

I'm curious how "slight drag on the bearings" could be discerned in a motor with ball bearings and permanent magnets.
    The one I ever found the motor portion bad on, there was some side to side play in the shaft due to worn bearings.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The motor portion of them could almost be called overbuilt.

I'm curious how "slight drag on the bearings" could be discerned in a motor with ball bearings and permanent magnets.
    The one I ever found the motor portion bad on, there was some side to side play in the shaft due to worn bearings.
    I really don't think you need sealed bearings 101 but if I am wrong I will induldge you if needed.
    Take your time & do it right!

Quote Originally Posted by markwolf View Post
    I really don't think you need sealed bearings 101 but if I am wrong I will induldge you if needed.
    Sure, go for it.
    It genuinely piques my curiosity whenever someone says something like "This being by far the largest failure I personally run across!", when it is the complete oposite of what others, including myself, have observed.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Its a shame you coming in here crying about a repair on your furnace.The men in here are mostly HVAC Techs that have spent alot of time practiceing their trade.As a company,the tech should have gave you a up front price to repair your unit.If you didn't like his price,you should waited and gotten another one.Is there another problem you might have on this unit that we can help you with?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast