Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast

Confused Fortune needed to replace a blower motor?

I have a Carrier 58UHV100-20 forced air furnace. It stopped working on Saturday (of course, a weekend). The repairman said that the blower motor was bad and it would cost $xxxx.00 (parts and labor) to fix it. I can't believe it; it will cost me another $xxx.00 to get a second opinion. What should I do?
    Last edited by DrDick; 02-25-2008 at 03:35 PM.

remove your pricing, it is not allowed.

get a second opinion, that ones..............

Quote Originally Posted by DrDick View Post
    I have a Carrier 58UHV100-20 forced air furnace. It stopped working on Saturday (of course, a weekend). The repairman said that the blower motor was bad and it wouldhttp://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc/groups/public/documents/techlit/530-117-010101.pdf cost xxxx (parts and labor) to fix it. I can't believe it; it will cost me another xxxx to get a second opinion. What should I do?
    Your unit should have a Five-Year Warranty
    http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...117-010101.pdf

However, if it's out of warranty.......bend over and get ready to be loaded like a shotgun.

Jabs
    Last edited by Senior Tech; 02-25-2008 at 09:09 PM.

drdick

what age is this furnace?

Assuming diagnosis is correct, you could call another Carrier dealer for cost to replace motor. Surely, this can be accomplished over the telephone to avoid cost of another service call. Second opinion though may be worth it.

One other option to consider would be to look into having motor repaired at a local motor shop. This may be var spd DC motor. Complete information should be on a nameplate. This is probably a GE motor. I am not advocating this choice.

IMO

This is a variable speed motor from the info that I have

Please post your serial number which will tell us if this is in warranty.

That being said there are times when en ECM motor fails in it's entirety, but a lot of the time it is just the control module that has failed when indeed it points toward the motor.

A second opinion from a qualified Carrier dealer maty be in order

Quote Originally Posted by small change View Post

but a lot of the time it is just the control module that has failed when indeed it points toward the motor.
    100% correct. make sure the contractor checks the module, doesn't just replace the entire motor. most carrier variable speed motors are not available without the module, but the module is available separate.

Considering what that motor cost the price is not out of the ordinary. As stated it is most likely just the module but that will not reduce the price substantially.

Let me ask you something doc what do you charge for a shot or just an office visit.

Running an HVAC company is very expensive more than likely more so than a doctors office. How much will you charge to remove a wart or to look down my throat and tell me to take some antibiotics and cough medicine.

Doctors practice medicine we repair HAVC systems. You have a high end system that when it breaks is expensive. I never sell a system with a variable speed motor without a 10-year parts and labor warranty.

I would also suggest that you have a surge protector installed on that system better yet have one installed at your main service panel. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Let me ask you something doc what do you charge for a shot or just an office visit.

Running an HVAC company is very expensive more than likely more so than a doctors office. How much will you charge to remove a wart or to look down my throat and tell me to take some antibiotics and cough medicine.
    That really isn't a fair or logical comparison. There are instances where a doctor's visit will cost more than a service call, and instances where it will cost less. Assuming he's a medical doctor, you have no idea what his overhead and profit margin is.

Thumbs up Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    That really isn't a fair or logical comparison. There are instances where a doctor's visit will cost more than a service call, and instances where it will cost less. Assuming he's a medical doctor, you have no idea what his overhead and profit margin is.
    I'm glad you spoke up; I'm not even a real "doctor", this is a handle I picked up as a teenager. And there is no way anyone could ever convince that the fee that some service providers charge is justified, even considering their overhead!

I have something that might be at least mildy useful for you Dick. However, I'm waiting for you to heed t527ed's request. It's a long standing forum rule at the top of every page you've looked at in this section.

Frown "the price is not out of the ordinary"

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Considering what that motor cost the price is not out of the ordinary. As stated it is most likely just the module but that will not reduce the price substantially.

Doctors practice medicine we repair HAVC systems. You have a high end system that when it breaks is expensive. I never sell a system with a variable speed motor without a 10-year parts and labor warranty.

I would also suggest that you have a surge protector installed on that system better yet have one installed at your main service panel. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    You should know by now that I am not a "doctor."

Even if you believe that the price is correct, I don't understand how you can consider it reasonable. This is a furnace for pete's sake! A furnace should be a burner and an air handler with associated duct work. I hope that you are explaining to your customers about the complexities and cost of repairs for these new high tech furnaces (that require a 10-year warranty) before you sell them on one. Do you also tell them that there are simpler, less complex systems available? I appreciate that you offer 10-year warranties with such systems, but how much does this add to the initial cost?

My father was in the business for many years so I have a pretty good feel for the overhead associated with HVAC companies.

Thanks for the suggestion of adding surge protection to my electrical system. My concern with this is that the electric company would probably not cover this type of incident because there is no way to prove that it was an electrical surge vs. a defective board.

I'm not familiar with that motor, but does that service company use "flat rate pricing"?

You don't have to prove anything to your electric company. If you had 2 or more items go bad during a storm, that might be covered by your home owners insurance.

Hmm Sorry, I didn't know this rule...

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    I have something that might be at least mildy useful for you Dick. However, I'm waiting for you to heed t527ed's request. It's a long standing forum rule at the top of every page you've looked at in this section.
    I didn't know that I should not discuss prices in my post. I remove the numbers from the figures, I hope that will suffice. I'm a little suspicious of this rule; who is it protecting; no names were revealed? At any rate, I appreciate your comments.

For all who are following this post, the system is 7 years old so the motor is out of warranty. The HVAC service company has worked Carrier and I to get the cost of the repair down to about 40% of the original estimate. Needless to say I am quite relieved. At least now I know what questions to ask if I ever need a new furnace.

Page 1 of 12 1234567811 ... LastLast