Thread: Trane XLi16 unusual sound

Post Likes

Trane XLi16 unusual sound

I live in Bucks County Pa and recently my heat pump has been making an unusual sound outside. I have emergency heat set to come on at 20 degrees. At 34 degrees like this morning, just as the outdoor unit is shutting off it makes a sound I can only describe as a donkey uttering a death bray. It's loud enough to clearly hear in the house and only makes the sound when the outdoor unit is shutting down after inside temp is reached. What makes this really crazy is it does it sporadically and I know if I call service out it will make the noise.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Post Likes

16 i

check to see if you have 2 compressures i belive that is the 16 i the 19 i has 2 stage compressure sound like both compressures were running when they shut down the pressure equlizes between the two

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toddestock View Post
    check to see if you have 2 compressures i belive that is the 16 i the 19 i has 2 stage compressure sound like both compressures were running when they shut down the pressure equlizes between the two
    The 16i has one 2 step scroll compressor.
    The 19i has 2 compressors, both never run at the same time.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by drose224 View Post
    I live in Bucks County Pa and recently my heat pump has been making an unusual sound outside. I have emergency heat set to come on at 20 degrees. At 34 degrees like this morning, just as the outdoor unit is shutting off it makes a sound I can only describe as a donkey uttering a death bray. It's loud enough to clearly hear in the house and only makes the sound when the outdoor unit is shutting down after inside temp is reached. What makes this really crazy is it does it sporadically and I know if I call service out it will make the noise.

Any ideas???

Thanks
    if it is a scroll compressor it may be internal check valve letting gas by and making it run backwards momentely.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in