high velocity systems good?

I'm going to be building a new summer home on the shore in New England and was thinking of going with a high velocity heating/cooling system. Is there a lot of experience out there with them to say whether they are as good as they sound? I would be concerned about being orphaned if the technology doesn't work well and the system isn't reliable. The extra dehumidification sounds like a plus for a humid environment. How well do they work for heat and what is a typical setup for that purpose? Thanks.

They can work ok, but are mainly for retrofit work. They must be installed properly, or you can have noise problems, and are more expensive. If you're building new, install a conventional system.

If starting from scratch I'd never go HV. They are pricey, kill SEER and lower capacity. A good variable speed air handler with the right control will do just as well at dehumidification and the variable speed blower will boost SEER. I'd only consider HV as a last resort on a retrofit where there is no way to run larger ducts.

If your building a new house. No reason to go HV.
    As above, a VS blower can do as much for humidity removal.
    If your really concerned about humidty. Get a 2 stage with VS, and a stat that can do cool to dehumidify, and slow the blower.
    It will cost you about the same as a HV system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I've sen HV systems with a hot water coil for heat that worked great. They were very good for the service department as they must be serviced more often. Get the evap coil a little dirty and you are in for nightmares. Filer changes are essiential. Ensure they are installed with the service tech in mind.

thanks guys...i'll stick with tried and true - no HV

nothing wrong about h.v. it really depends on what look your going for your home. if you want to look at 12 x 4 diffusers go convential. if you want something more discreet go with h . v. it is true about the seer ratio sucking with h.v. if i had the money i would install a h.v. system. nothing wrong with them as long as the installer knows what they are doing.

Take a look at Velocity Plus, 13 seer and very quiet. Overall the 3 inch version is about 30% less than competition and has the comfort of true aspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by skibme View Post
    nothing wrong about h.v. it really depends on what look your going for your home. if you want to look at 12 x 4 diffusers go convential. if you want something more discreet go with h . v. it is true about the seer ratio sucking with h.v. if i had the money i would install a h.v. system. nothing wrong with them as long as the installer knows what they are doing.
    I put an attic a/c system in for someone once and the woman said "oh my God, I didn't know I'd have to be looking at those things in the ceiling". 6 months later she told me she doesn't even notice them anymore.

Forget AC. Don't recommend it. Waste of money. What I would recommend is a Hybrid Heat system that will be an investment instead of an expenditure. heat your home with your AC system during the shoulder months (Sept., Oct, Nov, March, April, May) and use the same system for cooling in the summer. Or better yet, if you care to make an even better investment, go with geothermal. You'll be able to heat/cool your home for a fraction of what a conventional fossil fuel system will cost. Installation costs are about 15-20% higher than fossil fuel but the operational savings will pay for the entire system within about 10-years. Want radiant heated floors? You can do that too with a geothermal system. If geothermal is too much for your construction budget (personallly, I'd use cheap kitchen cabinets and put in the geothermal system if the budget is tight but that's just my opinion) then I'd highly recommend a 2-stage Hybrid Heat system with a 3-stage gas furnace, variable speed, giving you 5-stages of heat and 2-stages of cool. If your new home doesn't have natural gas on the street, then that's even more incentive to go geo. But if all else fails, you can still do dual fuel with oil heat. So there's bascially no limitation (except your budget) to put in a first class, state of the art system that will operate for thousands of dollars a year less than a basic AC system.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!