Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hospitals

hospitals

has anyone here worked in a hosital as an hvac mechanic? i'm looking more for a shift type of schedule and just wondering what you like or hate most about it.

Good: You learn alot about the equipment you have your building(s).

Not under alot of pressure most of the time.

Good place to learn if you are new, Good place to slow down if you are
    a old timer.

Set schedules.

Usually excellent Health Benefits and vacations right off the bat.

Bad: Pay usually not as good.

Only learn the equipment you have in your building(s).

Can be tasked with other duties within the maintenance Dept. Like
    snaking out some sewers now and again. changing lightbulbs And
    shoveling snow. Or wrestling Phycopaths in the loony bin when they
    go beserk,
    (especially on off shifts)

Hospital politics can be brutal.

Hope this helps

I would not work for a hospital, first of all as a new guy say good bye to sleeping like a normal person, no more 10pm to 6am or whatever your sleeping time is at night. Say good bye to your weekends and say hello to the doctors and Certified Nurses treating you like garbage. You will also receive training in CPR First Aid and some course about restraining the phyco patients with out harming them even though they come at you with a knife. Have fun and good luck.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

Great place to work as far as a variety of equipment. Everything from walkins to chillers,boilers etc. I have numerous hospitals under contract and from my experience almost all of the operators are very knowledgable and skilled. However the general opinion from alot of people is that all these guys do is make puppies all day. I wouldn't want my only experience in this field at a hospital as it might reflect poorly on a resume. Now before everyone jumps all over me I must stress I do not share these views and I have met numerous hospital employees that are highly skilled tradesman. However I would not work at a hospital for the simple reason I like to be somewhere different every day.

We are usually called in to do all the work while the hospital's maint./techs. just stand there and watch. That's our wonderful health care dollars at work.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

might find yourself being limited to what you will be allowed to work on.they have contracrors in and out of most hospitals doing the major service with maint.guys pointing the way to the problem.if your starting out it is a good place to get familiar with units and working with others.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I've worked in a hospital for 4 yrs. Moved up to a level 3 mechanic (just below the lead) We work on everything that isn't under contract such as our 900 ton absorber,cogen units and gas driven chiller. Never a dull moment. When someone asks what I work on I say " from beds to boilers" Get into a lot of commercial kitchen eq.,hundreds of pumps,compressors. I got over 200 pieces of refrigeration equipment I take care of. Plus with lots of women in charge of things we move LOTS! of furniture. Sometimes more than once!
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcr View Post
    I've worked in a hospital for 4 yrs. Moved up to a level 3 mechanic (just below the lead) We work on everything that isn't under contract such as our 900 ton absorber,cogen units and gas driven chiller. Never a dull moment. When someone asks what I work on I say " from beds to boilers" Get into a lot of commercial kitchen eq.,hundreds of pumps,compressors. I got over 200 pieces of refrigeration equipment I take care of. Plus with lots of women in charge of things we move LOTS! of furniture. Sometimes more than once!
    does one of the 200 pieces of refrigeration equipment include where they put the stiffs/morgue away. Thats another reason i would not work at a hospital. I think someone from this forum once said that they had to get in there all the way to the end to patch up a leak in the evaporator coil.
    I will take a bullet for my Veto LC tool bag!

thanks to all who replied, i have 5 years exp and do mainly resi, just getting sick of running around town all day. just seeing what else is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by refer guy View Post
    does one of the 200 pieces of refrigeration equipment include where they put the stiffs/morgue away. Thats another reason i would not work at a hospital. I think someone from this forum once said that they had to get in there all the way to the end to patch up a leak in the evaporator coil.
    Yes it does! We got an old unit that's in the Capital budget to be replaced sometime. R-12. Got a slow leak in the evap somewhere and have to add a pound about every 8 mo. or so. They don't want me to even try to repair it. When the evap turns into "Frosty the Snowman" I send the new guy in to defrost it. We got an old building attached to the complex that used to be a furneral home. When I worked nights I used to go over there and scare the cleaning crew.
    There's TREACHERY AFOOT!!!

Angry Argh

Quote Originally Posted by Lash View Post
    We are usually called in to do all the work while the hospital's maint./techs. just stand there and watch. That's our wonderful health care dollars at work.

Trust me when I say that it is not the maintenance guys decision whether or not to do the work, and if it was you would not be on this board running your mouth.

I hate it when they call in contractors, and I hate it even more when the contractor acts like we are retards and he is our messiah... grr.

As far as fecility jobs go hospitals are the worst.
    i work for a school district and love it.

Never done it myself, I have worked in many Hospitals over the years as the OC.

If you like repetition, doing the same thing over and over for 10 20 years.
    The benefits seem to be better than most private sectors, pension and such. I have always found the staff to be more than helpful. control contractors seem to belittle maintenance staff the most.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast