Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    364

    Considering Payne Heat Pump...

    I have never worked on a Payne unit. I have never even seen one installed. I bought a new house and I'm considering installing a Payne unit because it's the sharpest price.

    What do you guys think? Good or junk??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    18951
    Posts
    1,593
    I put a few of them in a few years back, and they seemed like a pretty good unit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    11,347

    *

    Quote Originally Posted by dixie2005 View Post
    I have never worked on a Payne unit. I have never even seen one installed. I bought a new house and I'm considering installing a Payne unit because it's the sharpest price.

    What do you guys think? Good or junk??
    i put a bunch of them in when i was in miami

    never really had any problems with them

    they are basically a builders grade unit!



    .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,875
    Yeah, it's builder's grade Carrier...good stuff, I have used them here and there. I hope that "sharpest price" doesn't also mean a less than quality install....you gotta remember...equipment is only as good as who installs it!
    I need a new signature.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Yeah, it's builder's grade Carrier...good stuff, I have used them here and there. I hope that "sharpest price" doesn't also mean a less than quality install....you gotta remember...equipment is only as good as who installs it!
    Well, I think I'll do my own installation. Unless I can con someone else into doing it - but not likely! haha.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    18951
    Posts
    1,593
    They never seemed to me to be (what people generally call) "builders grade" like some other brands I won't mention.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Posts
    34,089
    You can't get any cheaper built than a Payne. Well, you can, the Lennox Merit series is about as poorly built & protected. At least the lower end of Bryant & Carrier are better built, better cabinet, coil protection... There's a reason they are the cheapest and the darling of the home warranty industry

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    You can't get any cheaper built than a Payne. Well, you can, the Lennox Merit series is about as poorly built & protected. At least the lower end of Bryant & Carrier are better built, better cabinet, coil protection... There's a reason they are the cheapest and the darling of the home warranty industry
    So you wouldn't recommend this unit then baldloonie?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,913
    As a tech, you should be able to get a good deal on a higher end unit.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    2,964
    How does the Goodman GSH14 compare to your Payne price? The 14 SEER Goodman has a Copeland scroll compressor, optional TXV in the air handler, and gets good performance numbers for EER/SEER/HSPF. 10 years parts warranty.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,285
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie2005 View Post
    So you wouldn't recommend this unit then baldloonie?

    They are probably one of the lowest price units available. They are light also...not to heavy at all. I don't like the piston in the service valve thing...but I guess that has it's advantages to. One good thing they don't install filters inside the case...Mine would come with one to be attached along with a sweat in flare fitting. I stopped using them I felt like if someone bumped into it it would sorta just collapse......totally my opinion though.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    As a tech, you should be able to get a good deal on a higher end unit.
    that's true. and you are right, i can get a good deal on a york or lennox too. it'll work out to be about $ more though and that's why i was considering the payne. i've heard mixed reviews locally and thought i would post on the forum to get some additional opinions. i think the consensus is in, and i think i will opt for the york.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-11-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Price

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event