Thread: Pad vs Slab

Pad vs Slab

What are your thoughts regarding using a poured concrete slab as base for a condensor versus one of the 2" pads that are sold by HVAC supply houses. The pad would sit on untreated Earth (combination dirt, gravel, etc.). If using the pad, of course it would be dug (and/or build up) to make it level. Plan to use 6" pump-ups as well either way.

I'm sure that slab is a better solution, but is a different/better in a material way?

Thanks.

strange question....a poured pad that is 6" thick would certainly be better but a bought concrete pad will work fine and be less expensive

The pad I am looking at is not made of concrete. It is made of some type of heavy duty commercial plastic composite.

some city codes prohibit the use of plastic pads...UV will usually cause em to get brittle

Just guessing here but I would think if his area did not allow the composite or it was against code the supply houses would not even sell them, as I said only a guess.
    If you want to take the time to pour a slab you can't go wrong with that period, IMO.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Everybody uses pads around me. If you're pouring a pad, triple check your dimensions, including clearances and unit dimensions.

Are you installing the Heat Pump yourself?? As a former and sometimes current installer I can tell you that we use nothing but the plastic pads. If they are given a good solid base such as stone or gravel and some good dirt, set level solid, they will last forever. As Mr. Bill said before, some can be sensative to UV, but most (now a days) are UV resistant. Just check them out to see about their UV status. The best thing about these pads are that they take about 20 minutes tops to install. Beats the heck out of pour concrete. But hey....that's just my humble opinion.
    I need a new signature.....

With new construction pads are a lot easier to deal with if you need to go back later and relevel the unit from ground settling.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"