Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Input

Need Some Input

I have a 52' x 28' manufactured home sitting on a full basement in Grand Rapids, MI. Currently there is only one furnace upstairs (66,000 BTU) with no return ducting like a typical junkie manufactured home. I'm in the process of finishing off the basement into a downstairs apartment which will be completely separate from the upstairs.

I need to know the best solution for implementing a new furnace. I can either keep the old furnace upstairs and put a new one in just for the downstairs or a single furnace system to run the whole house. Of course with a single furnace I would use a zoning system to keep the first floor and basement comfortable temperatures. Also, what would be a recommendation on the proper BTU and CFM for heating a house of this size (both basement and first floor).

FYI: The local heating company thought it would be best to install a separate furnace in the basement. I can't find to quote for how many BTUs they recommended.

Twilli say install seperate furnace in basemnet. Is bottom of the home insulated? They ususally are.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Yes, the bottom of the home is insulated.

Twilli did a friends home and installed a small 90 plus and some duct work, you could also consider some type of electric heat, as it will cool just fine.

Definitely go with a seperate system. BTUs depends a lot on how much exposed walls you have, and the direction of those exposed walls. If you're on a hill, and have a full wall exposed on the North, it will be a lot different than if you have 2 ft. exposed all around.

On the other hand, if this is for a teenage son, you don't want any heat. You don't want to make him so comfortable that he will never move out.

It's not for a teenage son, thank god. I'm only 22 myself. I'm on the side of a hill. The south wall is a full walk out (not in the ground). The north wall of the basement is in the side of the hill, only the top 1-2 feet are exposed. And the west and east walls are about 50% exposed hence the sloping hill. Seperate systems sounds like the way to go then. Also, I would like to install air conditioning when I do this project, for the basement and the upstairs. Its going to be expensive but I think I'm going to put in new ducting for the upstairs and also run return ducting like it is supposed to be. I just see the $$$ adding up for getting something like this done.

there might be a lot of $$$ signs. but doing it right and being comfortable in your own home is worth it
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Twilli come up to GR with HeyBob and we bring 4D's as helper and install Rheem mod and zoned duct system if you will to spend big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli come up to GR with HeyBob and we bring 4D's as helper and install Rheem mod and zoned duct system if you will to spend big bucks.
    HeyBob and Twilli will install "Dave Lennox Signature Collection" system. 4D's can run the lineset.

Remember, you are going to need an entire duct system with that job. Tying into the M/H duct system is not a good idea.

HeyBob learned his sheetmetal work from the worlds leading Sheetmetalogist, Twilli!

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    HeyBob learned his sheetmetal work from the worlds leading Sheetmetalogist, Twilli!

Sheetmetalogist?? OMG! is that really a word? I knew Twilli has Sheetme before, but I never knew he was a real Sheetmetalogist, is he a Nascar approved Sheetmetalogist?

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Twilli was making drives and s locks before some of these guys were born. In fact Twilli bets some of them have no idea how to make them. Thats one of the ways Twilli's right arm got so big was 1000's of s locks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Sheetmetalogist?? OMG! is that really a word? I knew Twilli has Sheetme before, but I never knew he was a real Sheetmetalogist, is he a Nascar approved Sheetmetalogist?

It is now!

Twilli does custom Sheetmetalogy

putting in a furnace that is not HUD approved into a trailer is a nono

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast