Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

for you heat techs need some info

hi i have a miller forced hot air furance in a manufactured home yes its what i can afford.
    the model is CMF80PO the serial number is CMF9010-00275
    what i would like to know seeing as miller inc refuses to provide any info is when my furance was manufactured.
    and i had my local service company charley Burnham heating service for those of you from maine whare iam from.
    do a yearly cleaning and he told me that consists of a new tank filter new pump screen new nozzle and new electrodes set gapped ect.
    and a new door filter for the hot air units.
    my other company didnt replace the old electrodes and the points had actualy worn away totaly would this do any damage to my trasnformer?
    the unit allways fires on the first try has never had a flame out or a run out of k1 what i burn.
    and is what he replaced what is considerd a normal yearly tune up?
    did he miss anything .
    have any of you techs delt with the miller units?
    if so how reliable are they?
    my unit has the beckett burner model AF15 serial number 990920-44074
    can any of you tell me what year this burner was made?
    and is it a good unit?
    any information you can give me would be grate
    thanks
    p.s. if my tech missed anything you think i should have checked or replaced during my yearly tune ups please let me know.
    thanks
    andy

I’ve worked on thousands of Millers. I know more about these heaters than any sane man should want to know. There are a lot of things that are best left untouched during an annual checkup unless a problem is seen. I will never pull the burner and front cover and open the heat exchanger unless there is back pressure, and even then I’ll check the chimney cap first. Too much risk of breaking off one of those welded on studs. If I find an outside oil filter on a mobile home heater, I’ll remove it or give no guarantee on any of my work. New pump screen is rarely needed. Cleaning the old one is fine. New nozzle and checking electrode gap and ignition transformer is always done. If the points were worn away, then your heater is either over fired, or the flue passages are blocked. Bad electrodes would not damage an ignition transformer.

I suspect you're having problems that you are not mentioning here. It’s hard to believe that you actually called “Miller Inc.”, because Miller was bought out in 1986 by Nortek, who later changed their company name. Odds are it’s the same age as the home. Beckett is a very good burner.

just a guess here but i would say that the furnace is a 1990, and you house is a 90 or 91..... how did i do ?

Cool For you heat techs need some info follow up

for the first reply poster no its not over fired its running at factory settings had that chcked when the tech was out.
    and the roof jack is clear .
    why would you remove a tank filter? every oil tank i know of has one.
    i burn k1 but next year iam going to the winter blend 50/50 mix of number 2 oil and k1.
    for the second poster reply the home is a 14x70 1979 muncy home and the miller CMF80 po is the the exact model replacement for the furance that came with the home in 1979
    this new furance was in the home when i bought it in 1984.
    and for the first poster miller inc is what shows on a link on nordyne/ millers web site.
    i kept my tank filter works grate.
    i agree with not opening the combustion chamber or pulling the burner unless its absoulty needed.
    my tech said the same thing you did about the welded studs brakeing off on the older units after the unit has been used for 4 or 5 years.
    the nozzle iam useing is .60
    and .80b for the lower number thats on the blue container the new nozzle came in i had the tech show me all the new parts he installed all are to spec per millers specs. and beketts.
    so what would make you think its over fired?
    the electordes my tech replaced were 3 and 1/2 years old i didnt know the old tech from webber engery didnt replace them when he did a tune up.
    i was told this furnace is one of the best for a manufactured home what do you techs think?
    thanks
    andy

I think you either need to

Trust your tech

or

find another one
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Its a good furnace and burner. Your tech did a fine job.

Doc Miller designed a great little furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    for the first reply poster no its not over fired its running at factory settings had that chcked when the tech was out.
    and the roof jack is clear .
    why would you remove a tank filter? every oil tank i know of has one.
    i burn k1 but next year iam going to the winter blend 50/50 mix of number 2 oil and k1.
    for the second poster reply the home is a 14x70 1979 muncy home and the miller CMF80 po is the the exact model replacement for the furance that came with the home in 1979
    this new furance was in the home when i bought it in 1984.
    and for the first poster miller inc is what shows on a link on nordyne/ millers web site.
    i kept my tank filter works grate.
    i agree with not opening the combustion chamber or pulling the burner unless its absoulty needed.
    my tech said the same thing you did about the welded studs brakeing off on the older units after the unit has been used for 4 or 5 years.
    the nozzle iam useing is .60
    and .80b for the lower number thats on the blue container the new nozzle came in i had the tech show me all the new parts he installed all are to spec per millers specs. and beketts.
    so what would make you think its over fired?
    the electordes my tech replaced were 3 and 1/2 years old i didnt know the old tech from webber engery didnt replace them when he did a tune up.
    i was told this furnace is one of the best for a manufactured home what do you techs think?
    thanks
    andy
    I do a lot of mobile home heaters. Around here, no one uses oil filters outside because water gets in them and freezes. They can also suck air, even when there is no obvious oil leak at them. Does every OUTSIDE oil tank that you know of have one?

Around here, hardly no one uses kero or 50/50 anymore. Partly because oil companies charge a premium, and partly because the pour point depressant they use works pretty good in #2.

If your mobile home was built in 1979, and you bought it in 1984 with a newer heater, did you find out why they replaced the first one. Millers last a long time. There are only two makers of mobile home heaters that I know of, Miller and Coleman.

I can’t remember the last time I replaced electrodes. 80 degree solid is all I ever use in a Miller. Home owners rarely come on the internet asking questions unless they're having problems. If you're having trouble, tell you’re tech to look at the end cone and if it’s an F0, change it to an F3. If you're having odors, the first thing to check is draft over fire, and the second is to pull the blower and look at the heat exchanger. I suspect he already knows these things.

for bob youre reply to my post

yes every tank in the state that i have ever seen out side has one
    the park i live in has 388 of them and all tanks have both a filter and filter cover aka dog house .
    in fact most techs in my area refuse to install a tank with out one.

Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    yes every tank in the state that i have ever seen out side has one
    the park i live in has 388 of them and all tanks have both a filter and filter cover aka dog house .
    in fact most techs in my area refuse to install a tank with out one.
    Can you describe your piping system. Do you have two pipes off the top of the tank? Where is your oil filter? Do you have an oil filter on the bottom of the tank? Do you have a return pipe back to the top?

for bob p.s

yes i did the old owner didnt take care of it and the filter was plugged solid and was sucking air from around the door and the heat exchanger cracked big time and shortly before the furnace was replaced the blower let out the magic smoke.
    i maintian my miller to the t by the book.
    blower is as clean to day as the day it was put in.
    my buner is a beckket AF-15 sn 990920-44074 if that helps you find out what cone it came with i know its the factory one as the old service company who used to sevice this miller before i got the house said its whatever the factory puts in for this model miller unit.i looked at the book and its a F0 cone as my unit is a 75,000.00 btu imput furnace.
    the book says use F3 for 90,000.00 and up only.
    my tech recommeded i change my primary control to the new int ignition model along with the transformer do you think this will cut my power bill alot and or make the unit last alot longer?
    i wont put anything in my manufactured home but a miller.
    i looked a coleman no offence to twill but i didnt like how it looked put togeather.
    ill keep my time tested miller CMF-80po
    as for my tech ill keep him to he did a grate job.
    i just wanted to make sure he did all that should be done as webber told me the filter screen and electrode change isnt needed.

for bob 25 filter set up

hi bob my set up is one pipe with the filter on the bottom right of the tank whare it connects to the tank pipe connector.
    my neibor has the old kind whare the line comes off the top of the tank with no return what kinda set up is that.
    ?
    98% of the homes have the one pipe set up i have some have the tiger loop 2 pipe set ups.
    what are the benifits of the 2?

Don't put an intermitant ignition primary on it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

int ing primary

to the poster who told me not to why is this i have seen it in the new homes useing my exact same model furance and burner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast