Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    You can find a manual damper that can be controled from in the room,search the net.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    For situations like this. We install what we call a "slave zone". It is a damper and thermostat which will not turn the unit on, but the stat opens and closes a damper only. You add a lot of air to counteract the heat from computers during the cooling season and the damper closes if no heat is needed in the room during the winter time. Duct modifications are definitely needed, but it works like a champ for situations just like this.

Wow. That sounds EXACTLY like what I need. Thanks a lot. I will research a little more and then talk w/ a pro about getting it done. Thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ivanl3 View Post
    Wow. That sounds EXACTLY like what I need. Thanks a lot. I will research a little more and then talk w/ a pro about getting it done. Thanks again!!!
    Understand that will solve the overheating,but not the undercooling,without duct changes,and maybe not even with changes.

You will need to increase the size of the duct(s) feeding that room for it to work to add more cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    You will need to increase the size of the duct(s) feeding that room for it to work to add more cooling.
    The room cools perfectly in the summer. The only problem is that it gets too hot in the winter. Sure sounds like the slave solution is the best one, but would be more work/cost that the manual damper solution.

As for dampers that can be controlled in the room, are you referring to the dampers built into the grill? If so, my experience has been that when I partially close them, they become noisy (wind whistling through the grate). I am hoping you are referring to something different, but did not find anything doing a cursory search of the net. A link would be greatly appreciated.

Damper has a cable ,like a lawnmower throttle,sorry I don't have a link.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Damper has a cable ,like a lawnmower throttle,sorry I don't have a link.

I found the damper you mentioned and talked w/ my contractor about installing it. Alternatively, he suggested that I go w/ a low-voltage motorized damper that can be controlled w/ a switch/knob that will be in the "hot" room. Anyone have thoughts or experience w/ these?

Smile Bowden Cable

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Damper has a cable, like a lawnmower throttle,
    sorry I don't have a link.
    Now you have a link ... Young Regulator
    ... available at your local air distribution wholesaler.

http://www.youngregulator.com/pdfs/b...to%20cover.pdf

http://www.youngregulator.com/pdfs/s...l5020-1200.pdf

http://www.youngregulator.com/products.asp
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I found the damper you mentioned and talked w/ my contractor about installing it. Alternatively, he suggested that I go w/ a low-voltage motorized damper that can be controlled w/ a switch/knob that will be in the "hot" room. Anyone have thoughts or experience w/ these?
    If i was you i would ask him to set it up with a thermostat so you can atleast keep control over your temp in the winter.

Yes and it works well in rooms that the btu's needed, change on an hourly, daily, weekly, or even seasonably.We use t-stats only for control to prevent human error(forget to turn on/off and equipment overheats.).Most of our zone/equipment room installs require equipment not to overheat, using the existing a/c. DO NOT ATTEMPT ON YOUR ON. Found a qualified contractor and one who has installed zone systems prior.
    Last edited by KirtusJon; 02-25-2008 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    Too Few Pro Tech's & Too Many Parts Changer's.

Quote Originally Posted by KirtusJon View Post
    Yes and it works well in rooms that the btu's needed, change on an hourly, daily, weekly, or even seasonably.We use t-stats only for control to prevent human error(forget to turn on/off and equipment overheats.).Most of our zone/equipment room installs require equipment not to overheat, using the existing a/c. DO NOT ATTEMPT ON YOUR ON. Found a qualified contractor and one who has installed zone systems prior.
    Thanks for all the info. I am going w/ the themostat controlled slave solution (w/ the motorized damper). Pro will be installing as soon as the parts arrive.

Thanks again.

Let us know how it works. When you reply, most contributors will get an e-mail even if it's months later.

I think the slave zone system proposed doesn't actually turn the system on. If not, and if you find later that you want that ability, I just came across this. It might be useful.

Just got the quote from my HVAC pro on the motorized dampers (w/ themostat control) and it proved to be cost prohibitive I asked him to work up a price on the cable controlled options. We'll see where that takes me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast