Any dutch oven users out here?

Any dutch oven users out here?

I'm breaking in the new dutch oven tomorrow with a roaster chicken, some cream of mushroom soup, yams, spinach, onion, and maybe another thing or two.

Anyone got any good recipes for the ole' camp oven?

UPDATE: Saturday 1600hours. Cooked that chicken with rice, yams and cream of mushroom soup, as well as baby bello mushrooms. Even the young'uns liked it, and I topped it off with the reduced liquid from the bake, which turned out nearly as thick as a gravy.
    It was hittin and holdin.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 02-23-2008 at 05:16 PM.
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Now did you use the charcoal brickettes and cook out side ??? That is the way a true "Black potter" does it.

There is an association that has cook offs every year. I'll see if I can find their site. They are really into DO cooking and I remember they have a lot of recipes.

Ahyup, here it is http://www.idos.com/ If I live nearer to Utah I think I would stop in for one of these events.
    Last edited by Green Mountain; 02-24-2008 at 10:09 AM.

Dump cake
    line oven with foil. Dump in fruit of choice. Dump on white or yellow cake mix. slice up one stick of butter and scatter over the top. Depending on coals usually takes about an hour.

Whoever punctures the foil has to clean the oven. ( boy scout leader trick )
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

I picked up a Dutch Oven cook book at Bass pro a while back. It has tons of recipes in it. I use the thing all the time when camping.

I have one,

the real charcoal kind with the legs and sunken lid to hold the coals under and on top.
    Like this guys....
    I'm not that good at it tho. Tried Chili once and burned it up. Tell more detail on that Chicken.....
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Yesir! I cooked some pintos yesterday with country ham. Nothin' like cooking outside over an open fire!
    Luke 6:31

Problem with DO cooking, with me, is it takes so darn long to cook anything.

It would be great to do this kind of cooking in the winter but you really have to talk yourself into doing this when it is freezing outside.

Then of course in the short summer you are busy with the trade so the gas grille is a better option.

We use our cast iron dutch oven a lot we believe it makes the best food. In this past year we went to much more cast iron cookware. Cast iron seems to be the way to go as they last for such a long time and are much better than the more expensive units.

When my Wife was a Boy Scout Leader she would show the boys how to dig a hole, put hot coals in the bottom, put in the makings for stew, put a tin over the pot and put dirt on top.
    When they would get back at the end of the day their was hot stew.

I got to have her show me the finer details of this.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    Dump cake
    Whoever punctures the foil has to clean the oven. ( boy scout leader trick )
    nice trick

We do a lot of DO cooking in our Boyscout troop. The secret to success, put more coals on top, less on the bottom. And don't cook directly in a fire. Cooks too fast and burns everything. We've made everything from pizza to cake to jambalaya.

DO cooking is THE BEST!!!!
    "Doubt, of whatever kind, can be ended by action alone."

Thomas Carlyle, 1795-1881, Philosopher and Author