Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R22 and 410A question

Alright, probably a stupid question, but since I haven't actually seen anything in print I want to double check with you guys.

My gauge set is for 410A and R22 (and 404a).

I've been borrowing my boss's 410A gauges when a system like that comes up, but as 410A is going to be more and more common, i'd like to stop borrowing and stick with my own gear.

Now, I've always heard (all heresay so far) that since i've used my gauge set for R22, I can only use it for R22. Is this true? Or since its rated for both, can you use it for both if you want without issue?

It's fine if I can't, but if I can avoid buying another manifold and hose set that would be great. I've searched online and haven't come up with anything. Anyone got some links?

Thanks in advance guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Eaallred View Post
    Alright, probably a stupid question, but since I haven't actually seen anything in print I want to double check with you guys.

My gauge set is for 410A and R22 (and 404a).

I've been borrowing my boss's 410A gauges when a system like that comes up, but as 410A is going to be more and more common, i'd like to stop borrowing and stick with my own gear.

Now, I've always heard (all heresay so far) that since i've used my gauge set for R22, I can only use it for R22. Is this true? Or since its rated for both, can you use it for both if you want without issue?

It's fine if I can't, but if I can avoid buying another manifold and hose set that would be great. I've searched online and haven't come up with anything. Anyone got some links?

Thanks in advance guys!
    just because the gauges you use have a pressure-temperature scale for 410a, it does not mean that you can use this for 410 a, unless your hoses are approved for it, as they need to be rated for higher operating and burst pressures. if you had hoses rated for 410a, why can you not use them also on r22? as long as you purge the hoses, i don't see why not.

My hoses are rated 800psi.

Does this mean I can save myself a good chunk of change?

Thats what I do. Just make sure you have low loss fittings especially on the high side and you should be fine. Some say you should have two sets of hoses but every one I know just uses one without any problems.

I would think that your more likely to have contamination with two sets of hoses. except in the perfect world where you have a helper to change the hoses and keep them clean and capped when not in use.

if your hoses are rated for 800 psi working pressure and 4000 psi burst pressure, then you can use them for 410a

Those combo R22/R410A gauges are pretty useless for R22, if you are interested in being at all accurate. Pretty useless for R410A too.
    Since they have a large pressure scale compressed into the same size gauge, the resolution is very poor, especially the resolution of the temperature scale.

Go digital.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Eric its George...check your email.

I use a 410-A set and have a couple of "R-22" sets in the truck. I don't want to get the POE and mineral oils mixed. Before 410-A you always needed several sets so you could work on several units at the same time oil mixing was not an issue then.

Confused

This should not even be a question. Separate gauges for each, especially that 410A is highly susceptible to moisture. Tools are the most important thing a "Technician" can have.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Lightbulb

i have a set for each, just because the pressures are so close togetther on 410a gauges, in the r-22 operating range. it makes it a little easier for me to see where i am at on a r-22 system with r-22 gauges. i also have low loss on both sets and always return whatever is in my high side back to the system. a six foot hose can hold up to 3 ounces of refrigerant. a couple years of PM calls and all the sudden a system has some mysterious leak from not properly removing gauges. but if you like to use just one set of gauges, then a 410a set will do just fine. just the hassle of purging the hose between calls. i leave the refrigerant in my hoses all the time
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by usedtoknow View Post
    I use a 410-A set and have a couple of "R-22" sets in the truck. I don't want to get the POE and mineral oils mixed. Before 410-A you always needed several sets so you could work on several units at the same time oil mixing was not an issue then.
    at least one extra for backup, if you break the set you use all the time. finish the call and go get a new gauge or whatever
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

I suppose everyone knows this but while we are on the subject of specific tools for specific situations, gotta use seperate recovery machines for the 2 different refrigerants too. ( its all in the name of money)
    i CAN spell i just cant type

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast