Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 7474 View Post
    Yes the dampers are at the take-offs. The more time I spend on this site, the more I learn and the happier I become with my HVAC professionals (new construction).

Almost 4 years into marriage, I am pretty sure my wife is never incorrect
    Don't stop using that company without a really good reason. Sounds like they did everything right.

Memorize this "Yes dear, you are right, and I am wrong."

Appreciate detailed procedure from 7474

I have 2400 SQFT house with 3 levels near Boston, MA. Single Zone with Thermostat in 2nd Floor at Landing, Furnace is in Attic. I am able to heat 2nd and 3rd floor properly but the temperature at 1st floor is always 10 below.

I have called HVAC companies for Air Balancing twice and I am able to push hot air to first floor but still I am not able to solve this huge temperature difference.

Appreciate more details from 7474 regarding the steps he followed to achieve just 1 temperature difference

Quote Originally Posted by khands View Post
    I have 2400 SQFT house with 3 levels near Boston, MA. Single Zone with Thermostat in 2nd Floor at Landing, Furnace is in Attic. I am able to heat 2nd and 3rd floor properly but the temperature at 1st floor is always 10 below.

I have called HVAC companies for Air Balancing twice and I am able to push hot air to first floor but still I am not able to solve this huge temperature difference.

Appreciate more details from 7474 regarding the steps he followed to achieve just 1 temperature difference
    He explained it below in post #7, however you probably won't be able to do that. He only has two floors, and his ducts were sized properly during installation. If you were able to balance your system the way he did, if you have air conditioning, you'd probably do damage to your equipment.

Three stories can be difficult to balance. Even if your ducts come out the first floor ceiling, that's probably at least a 20 or 25 ft. run from the attic. The air finds it much easier to come out the 2nd and 3rd floor. Is there any way you can split the house into 2 zones? Do you have a basement you can install a system in for the first floor?

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    He explained it below in post #7, however you probably won't be able to do that. He only has two floors, and his ducts were sized properly during installation. If you were able to balance your system the way he did, if you have air conditioning, you'd probably do damage to your equipment.

Three stories can be difficult to balance. Even if your ducts come out the first floor ceiling, that's probably at least a 20 or 25 ft. run from the attic. The air finds it much easier to come out the 2nd and 3rd floor. Is there any way you can split the house into 2 zones? Do you have a basement you can install a system in for the first floor?
    Thanks for quick reply.

Heating the first floor has been challenge. I spent 2 hours in Attic this weekend and found that there are 4 ducts which are running 20-25 feets.
    I do not have basement. First floor is on Concrete Slab with Hardwood floor. We have 35000 BTU Direct Vent Fireplace and we used this Fireplace to heatup first floor but by resetting the Thermostat in Second Floor Landing and hence cold air there.

I did get quotes for creating 2 zones using arzel zoning system but none of these quotes include warrantly for air flow or air supply at First Floor and therefore I am not able to proceed further.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by khands View Post
    Thanks for quick reply.

Heating the first floor has been challenge. I spent 2 hours in Attic this weekend and found that there are 4 ducts which are running 20-25 feets.
    I do not have basement. First floor is on Concrete Slab with Hardwood floor. We have 35000 BTU Direct Vent Fireplace and we used this Fireplace to heatup first floor but by resetting the Thermostat in Second Floor Landing and hence cold air there.

I did get quotes for creating 2 zones using arzel zoning system but none of these quotes include warrantly for air flow or air supply at First Floor and therefore I am not able to proceed further.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
    You may not like my suggestion. Assuming your house is well insulated with tight windows and doors, then if it were MY house, I'd dig up all around the house and insulate the hell out of the wall around the slab down to 2 ft. below ground level. (Remember, you did ask for suggestions )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12