Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blue smoke from neighbors chimney

My neighbor has blue smoke coming from his chimney, I went over and told him about it, and offered to look at his furnace, but he said he wasn't worried. He has propane heat, vented out the chimney. What can cause blue smoke to come out from a gas furnace, I should know, but i'm drawing a blank.

I can only speculate, but it could be moisture coming out, possibly from too much combustion air? Not sure.

Light blue water vapor looking smoke, or darker soot laden looking smoke?

If he has darker smoke out the chimney, the appliance needs to be shut down immediately and inspected, gas supply to the burners checked, etc..
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Burning incense? Garbage? Illicit substance? You tried to help.... now all you can do is watch...

only time i have seen blue is after installing a new heat exchanger. like moose said, you tried and now all you can do is watch. did you ask if he had a co detector??
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

You guys missed this one.... They are electing a new Pope!
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

Not sure what would cause that but 2 years ago I was outside and I smelled that odor when a heat exchanger is plugged up so I knew what the smell was. I live in a 4 plex apartment went to each apartment and sure enough lady below us her heat exchanger was plugged so bad flames were rolling out of front and in our apartment building we have those old Carrier units no draft inducer or flame roll out switch 3 wire pilot burner. Shut lady down cause of it being dangerous called landlord he said turn it back on wanted me to clean it for $30.00. Guess what I said? Find your own it will take more money than that. Called fire dept. they came out looked at furnace and they shut it down. Landlord was not happy when he got call from fire dept.

Quote Originally Posted by ckone180 View Post
    You guys missed this one.... They are electing a new Pope!
    is this a joke??

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by mrlighturfire View Post
    Not sure what would cause that but 2 years ago I was outside and I smelled that odor when a heat exchanger is plugged up so I knew what the smell was. I live in a 4 plex apartment went to each apartment and sure enough lady below us her heat exchanger was plugged so bad flames were rolling out of front and in our apartment building we have those old Carrier units no draft inducer or flame roll out switch 3 wire pilot burner. Shut lady down cause of it being dangerous called landlord he said turn it back on wanted me to clean it for $30.00. Guess what I said? Find your own it will take more money than that. Called fire dept. they came out looked at furnace and they shut it down. Landlord was not happy when he got call from fire dept.
    he said clean it for 30 rotflmao i would have told him to stick it and moved out without notice the next day!!

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    he said clean it for 30 rotflmao i would have told him to stick it and moved out without notice the next day!!
    LOL. Yea I figured he would kicked us out after that.

i have never had a reasonable ending with a landlord it always ends u a cussin match for some reason, oohhh because they always have some excuse not to give back the deposit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrlighturfire View Post
    LOL. Yea I figured he would kicked us out after that.
    Landlords only care about bottom line. Pay the rent and keep the place clean, and he has no reason to throw you out. He probably realizes now that you did him a big favor, and he was just pissed at first.

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    i have never had a reasonable ending with a landlord it always ends u a cussin match for some reason, oohhh because they always have some excuse not to give back the deposit!!!
    In PA, landlords have to send tenants a letter saying what needs to be fixed and how much it will cost, then deduct that from the deposit and send a check. If they don't do that within 30 days, they must pay double the deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Light blue water vapor looking smoke, or darker soot laden looking smoke?

If he has darker smoke out the chimney, the appliance needs to be shut down immediately and inspected, gas supply to the burners checked, etc..
    It's dark blue sooty smoke. I went over again and told him to let me look at it or to call someone, so he finally called the contractor he has a service contract with. Not sure why he didn't listen to me the first time. I know the contractor, so i'll try to find out what the problem was. Some people think their HVAC system is no different and doesnt need any more maintenance than a refrigerator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast