Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011
    130 posts later ...

Ok so , we have decided that policing other countries isnt such a bad idea ... and we need to protect our interests in oil ... and people who dont have now - would like to have freedom ... hmm ... doesnt sound like we are leaving Iraq - or any other country anytime soon .

Let me share something else with you whiners about people losing their loved ones , and bring everyone home attitude . Yes it sucks . But for the ones who have enlisted in the armed services since the war .... the thousands ... do you think they had a blindfold on or something ?

No ... there are those of us who are willing to take risks , and who like to help others , and just like a firefighter going into a blazing house .... they have a drive to risk their own lives for the sake of others ... and not everyone gets killed doing this .... there are many who retire from the armed services , and the fire dept .

But if not for these people .... who give and dont worry about receiving .... what a mess this world would be in .

But my point was .... its THEIR decision why they are - where they are .

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Maybe this will give a little better idea about what debt is to a country instead of what debt is to a person.......We do owe a lot of money......we are owed a lot of money......that's how things work. So let's take a little look at what debt to GDP means

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_public_debt

Debt-To-GDP Ratio:

A measure of a country's federal debt in relation to its gross domestic product (GDP). By comparing what a country owes and what it produces, the debt-to-GDP ratio indicates the country's ability to pay back its debt. The ratio is a coverage ratio on a national level.

This measure gives an idea of the ability of a country to make future payments on its debt. If a country were unable to pay its debt, it would default, which could cause a panic in the domestic and international markets. The higher the debt-to-GDP ratio, the less likely the country will pay its debt back, and the higher its risk of default.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/debtgdpratio.asp

The wiki article is based on "The World Factbook (ISSN 1553-8133; also known as the CIA World Factbook)"

What percentage of the GDP can the federal government turn into cash on any given day to pay back debt? The GDP is only a reflection of the products produced by companies and businesses which as far as I know are mostly owned by someone other than the government. These are not assets owned by us and we have no money invested to pay back debt so where does that leave us when it comes to showing our banker how we are going to pay this back?

There is only one way to actually pay it back and that's to sell assets for cash or raise our governments income by increasing taxes. There is one more far fetched way and that's getting a budget that's better than balanced which isn't going to happen and even if it did the interest would eat up what little it amounted to.

GDP is also tied to our economy which is not looking that great right now and the $1 is looking pretty grim as well.

Yes we do still have troops in Germany as well as England, Japan and Korea.

I assure you had we not had troops in Europe during the 60's, 70's and 80's they world would be a vastly different place. Our presence there deterred the USSR and Warsaw Pact countries from any aggression towards Europe, the Balkans/Greece and to a lesser extent the Middle East. Had we not been there for at least three and a half decade Western Europe as Democracy would have vanished!

Taiwan would not exist today nor would South Korea and more than likely neither would Japan. China has coveted these countries for decades in some instances for Centuries. Imagine the complexion of the world if North Korea was in control of South Korea. We would not be talking about containing Kim to his desolate part of the world but would be concerned about his ability to launch nuclear missiles into the heart of our country.

We lost troops there granted not to the extent we are in Iraq but there were many accidents during maneuvers and regular training missions.

The cost for our presence around the world in those three decades easily matched our expenditures today to have a presence in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The major difference between how things are working in Iraq and how they worked after WWII is the Marshall Plan. Under the Marshall Plan we controlled every aspect of life in occupied areas and we wrote their constitutions. We appointed their governing structure and controlled the reconstruction of the infrastructure as well as commerce.

The countries that lived under the Marshall Plan prospered and became our strongest allies no longer a nemesis even Japan that lived under a totally different set of religious and moral codes than we did. Today we as a country and a government do not have the fortitude or resolve to take that kind of control. If we did then Iraq and the Middle East would be in a much more peaceful and stable situation.

The reason that we don't have that resolve or the fortitude is because the press undermines the public’s confidence in the military and the government. A great deal of the problem is the rancor and sheer hatred for our country that permeates our press and our scholastic enterprises.

Air you feel you were lied to by Bush and his cabinet, I take umbrage with that but that is what the media tells you. You mentioned yellow cake well it has been proven that whole scenario actually occurred just as the Bush administration said. Regardless of whether they lied or not look at history and the role of diplomacy. FDR lied to or misled the country to precipitate our inclusion in WWII and Woodrow Wilson in WWI and McKinley and the Hearst media empire for the Spanish American War.

I will grant you that what I have written about our reasons for entering Iraq and staying there are speculation on my part; based on decades of study and an understanding of how the military thinks.

I do not presume to understand what is in President Bushes mind especially considering his stance on the immigration issue. He appears to be in the pocket of the Mexican government.

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    What percentage of the GDP can the federal government turn into cash on any given day to pay back debt? The GDP is only a reflection of the products produced by companies and businesses which as far as I know are mostly owned by someone other than the government. These are not assets owned by us and we have no money invested to pay back debt so where does that leave us when it comes to showing our banker how we are going to pay this back?

There is only one way to actually pay it back and that's to sell assets for cash or raise our governments income by increasing taxes. There is one more far fetched way and that's getting a budget that's better than balanced which isn't going to happen and even if it did the interest would eat up what little it amounted to.

GDP is also tied to our economy which is not looking that great right now and the $1 is looking pretty grim as well.

Your still missing the point.....they don't want to be out of debt. Every other major country in the world works the same way. I would like to read about one that doesn't maybe we can learn something. Let me know when you find a country that is not in debt.

A region's gross domestic product, or GDP, is one of the ways of measuring the size of its economy.

Notice how the ratio is going down. That means if things keep going the same way (which they won't because it's constantly changing) We will eventually be @ a 0 ratio. meaning our economy is doing great....wonderful....The media is scaring folks into thinking our economy is diving quick.

I'm not an economist we can get into the whole arm chair thing again on this one lol.....and it's not the subject of this thread I strayed from the point.....just to make one.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011