Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    my question is is it cracked or not on the verge of cracking is bs i would get someone else to look at it because i smell a rat
    Ditto.

I've had techs for other companies talk to me during training/certification classes that LOVE the easy sale of telling someone thier heat exchanger is cracked. It's disgusting if you ask me. Why so many people can't do HONEST work these days is beyond me. This guy might be right, but how does he see something that is on the verge of cracking? I'd like to see that myself. He could very easily be showing you things that are perfectly normal and playing it off as something serious. Shut someone's gas off, and they'll pay to be warm.

Get a second opinion. Something sounds fishy to me too.

as said by others you really need to find out exactly when that unit was installed. by the build date you are probably still under the 15 yr warranty on the heat exchanger. don't have lennox parts program on home computer but a unit that age should still have hx available.

That is like saying that you might have a brain tumor because of those nasty head aches, so you should start radiation right away.

Like the guys said get a lennox guy out there.

P.S. I am not a Lennox guy, but if it was my house, that is what I would do.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

As others have said.
    If it isn't cracked. He's trying to pressure you into a sale.
    Get a second opinion.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

A lot of companies give their techs a commission for every equipment sale. Some techs have told me that if a unit is over 8 or 10 years old, even if it isn't cracked, it probably will soon. They have no clue about metal fatigue and how it works. There's a company near me that does this all the time. I'm not saying the HX isn't cracked, but get a second opinion, even if you have to pay for a service call.

Wow, thanks again for all the help.

Regarding the cracks: The technician was outside looking and came inside to get me to go out and look at them. He had circled them with a sharpie pen so I could see. I didn't know what to look for, but there were what looked like small light long marks on the pipes. He had cicled several for me to see. He explained that they aren't cracks now, but he said they soon could split when using the heat and how it would expand those certain areas. He more or less said it was a matter of time and he legally couldn't leave it on so he turned off the heat and I signed a waiver. But I didn't see cracks..not yet.

I looked online on property tax search on my home and I see where the first deed was in June 8th, 1993. Is it still under warranty? Is that what that means?

I'm trying not to be excited about that because it would just be too good to be true.

Need to find out if the manufacturer list it as still under warranty.
    Heat exchangers that are not cracked are not replaced under warranty.

You might want to call that company back, and ask them what law says they can not leave your furnace on since they are not cracks.

Ask them for a hard copy of this law/regulation.
    If they ask you why you need it. Tell them you think your lawyer needs to see it.
    When they stumble. It means They know you caught them in a scam.

Tell them you want your furnace returned to the working condition it was in before the tech was out.

And you expect this to be done for free.
    Contractor locator map

I'd still, replace the unit. But you have some time to get estimates, and make an informed decision.
    Contractor locator map

Makes more sense. They might be cracks that just are not open right now because they are cold. If you can reach them with your fingers, run your fingernail over them and see if it catches. If you can't reach them, try some object and see if that catches on the alleged crack. I think you should DEFINITELY get a second opinion. Tell the guy exactly what happened. If the heater is still open, show him the circles. If he tells you they are NOT cracks, have him put the unit back together.

Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

I looked online on property tax search on my home and I see where the first deed was in June 8th, 1993. Is it still under warranty? Is that what that means?

I'm trying not to be excited about that because it would just be too good to be true.
    Your equipment was built in January of 1993. It was technically out of warranty last month. You need to have proof of installation for warranty. The original warranty was 15 years on the heat exchanger.

It's possibly under warranty, you need to find when it was installed and by whom if possible. A good start is the local building department, find out who pulled the permit and did the original install.

Talking

Oh my gosh. I'm one happy person right now. Thanks so much you guys!!!!!!!

I called Lennox and they informed me that my heat exchanger is still under warranty until July of this year. For some reason they add 6 months to the warranty's manufactured date. Don't ask me. They went by the model # and serial # to tell what date to add the 6 months to.

Anyway I told Lennox that the technician told me they had called to ask about the part to replace the heat exchanger and they no longer have that part. She told me they do and then proceeded to give me reputable Lennox dealers' phone numbers in my area so I could call. She said perhaps since they aren't a Lennox dealer that they don't want to bother with getting the part.

I called the first number she gave me and they are again checking on the warranty and will call me back and could be out as early as today.

I'm too excited. This would keep me going for hopefully at least another year and I wont' have to buy a brand new unit right now.

When I called the place that is checking for me right now, they had never heard of someone turning the heater off completely. They said they will leave on even if cracks but that they would telll the people not to use it.

Wow, thanks so so much for all your input. This is all very interesting and I feel like I've learned a lot.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome. If I can put off buying a brand new unit right now, I'm happy. But I will certainly come back here when I'm ready for a new quality one.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    Your equipment was built in January of 1993. It was technically out of warranty last month. You need to have proof of installation for warranty. The original warranty was 15 years on the heat exchanger.

It's possibly under warranty, you need to find when it was installed and by whom if possible. A good start is the local building department, find out who pulled the permit and did the original install.

Twilli says thats why that HeyBob is so successful with the ladies.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

I’m happy things are looking up for you. Lennox probably added 6 months on because normally heaters take a little while to get from the mfg to the actual install. You will probably have to pay for the labor.

If the first company calls, save yourself some aggravation, and just calmly say you got a new heat exchanger under warranty.

I’ve already turned heaters off and made people sign something. You feel bad, but you’d feel worse if you read their name in the obits. There’s a little thing call liability a company has to worry about.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast