Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    it deffinetly wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    The guy is probably telling the truth, but everyone makes mistakes, so it never hurts to get a second opinion.
    Get a second opinion from a trustworthy contractor. Some utility companies do free safety inspections on gas appliances. Have them document exactly where the crack is located. An honest tradesman will have no problem with that. A dishonest one will refuse. My typical wording goes something like "HX cracked 2nd chamber from right, right side, 3 inches back, 2 inches up". Such specificity leaves a technician wide open to being refuted if he's incorrect.

Post the model and serial number and someone will verify that the heat exchanger is or is not available and its warranty status. Some heat exchangers come with a lifetime warranty. Many come with a 20 year warranty, which means you pay just for labor and warranty processing. In some cases an OEM will credit you the cost of the HX towards a new furnace if the old HX is not available but still under warranty.

If it is actually cracked, you may be better off with a new unit even if a heat exchanger is available. However, that's for you to decide. Do your research (as you are now) and make an informed decision. Never take any one person’s word for it unless you know them inside and out.
    Last edited by Irascible; 02-20-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: details, details

Quote Originally Posted by Irascible View Post
    [

Post the model and serial number and someone will verify that the heat exchanger is or is not available and its warranty status. Some heat exchangers come with a lifetime warranty. Many come with a 20 year warranty, which means you pay just for labor and warranty processing. In some cases an OEM will credit you the cost of the HX towards a new furnace if the old HX is not available but still under warranty.

If it is actually cracked, you may be better off with a new unit even if a heat exchanger is available. However, that's for you to decide. Do your research (as you are now) and make an informed decision. Never take any one person’s word for it unless you know them inside and out.
    This is great advice

I was just going to suggest having a Lennox dealer here run your numbers

Post your model and serial like Irascible has suggested and someone here
    can get you if the hx is still covered under warranty

sc

I'm a Lennox dealer, I need your complete model number. I'll tell you if the parts are available or not.

Also, did you actually see the crack? I have seen more than one "Cracked" heat exchanger in my life that wasn't...........

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    I'm a Lennox dealer, I need your complete model number. I'll tell you if the parts are available or not.

Also, did you actually see the crack? I have seen more than one "Cracked" heat exchanger in my life that wasn't...........
    Even if parts are available, would you replace a hx on a 15 year old gas pack?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Thanks again everyone.

I have a Lennox Gas Package Unit MODEL: GCS20H-261-50-2P SERIAL#: 5693A03376

I live in the upstate of SC. Anyone know a good contractor in that area? A recommendation would be great!

You guys make me feel so much better about America Home Shield. You're right about how I'd rather get a decent unit than a piece of junk. My home is only 1250 sq feet and I don't need the Best out there, but a nice reliable unit...

There's so much to learn and research. I just like to be somewhat informed of what I'm doing so I don't get screwed over. So far I've learned quite a bit. Yay!

Thanks for recs to call Better business. I wasn't sure if they would know of someone reputable.

Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    Thanks again everyone.

I live in the upstate of SC. Anyone know a good contractor in that area? A recommendation would be great!

You guys make me feel so much better about America Home Shield. You're right about how I'd rather get a decent unit than a piece of junk. My home is only 1250 sq feet and I don't need the Best out there, but a nice reliable unit...

There's so much to learn and research. I just like to be somewhat informed of what I'm doing so I don't get screwed over. So far I've learned quite a bit. Yay!

Thanks for recs to call Better business. I wasn't sure if they would know of someone reputable.

closer to wilmington or charlotte??
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

When you find out the m/n would you be able to find out if cracks are either frequent or rare in this heater?

Well both would be too far for someone to come down for an estimate. Charlotte is about an hour and a half away, but thanks!

The contractor did show me the cracks. They weren't actual cracks just yet but on the verge on cracking. He said by law he had to shut it off so there would be no chance of carbon monoxide creeping in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnery Sergeant Hartman View Post
    Even if parts are available, would you replace a hx on a 15 year old gas pack?
    It's really a poor investment. But there are circumstances when you may have to. If she only has enough to repair it for now and can't afford the full boat for a new one, well yea..........

It's really a poor investment. But there are circumstances when you may have to. If she only has enough to repair it for now and can't afford the full boat for a new one, well yea..........
    I'll take it a step further. A new unit might be a very bad investment. The most obvious example is if she intends to sell in the next few years. New HVAC adds little to the value of most homes. Even if she's in it for the long term, it may be as you say that conservation in the short term is her goal.

An old engineering data sheet I'm looking at says that the HX has a 15 year warranty. I believe your unit is a January model. The actual date it was put to service was probably less than 15 years ago. It depends on how quick the unit went from Lennox into the owner's hands. If the home was built 15 years ago then sometimes an OEM will take utility or homeowner records of when the home was taken possession of as proof of how long it's been in service. That may take some leg work on your part and on the part of a contractor. But it may be worth it.

Don't get your hopes up about the warranty dudette. But at the same time don't buy into the assumptive attitude that anything short of a whole new unit is a bad decision. It may be, but we are in no position to determine that. And with a technician who shuts a furnace down because of "pre-cracks", he's in no position to tell you either. It's either cracked or it isn't. Something that looks like it kinda sorta might be doesn't qualify. You need a second opinion from someone honest and competent.
    Last edited by Irascible; 02-20-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: warranty update

Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    Thanks again everyone.

There really are no piece of junk brands out there, allthough I have my preferences for a few certain brands, I would have any brand in my house as long as someone competent was installing it. On the other hand, a lousy install could turn any unit into a piece of crap. Where I live, there are thousands of package rooftop units and they all seem to have about the same life expectancy from brand to brand.

if memorie serves the gcs20 had a clame shell HX and the replacement is a retro fit tubular HX. Lennox suppies all the nessary parts and instructions and it isnt all that hard a job

you said these cracks arent cracks yet but they look like they will be,What does that mean it is cracked or it isnt. What i mean your HX may have signs of a weak spot and time to look into a new unit or hx

This would e a warning to give you time to check your options. This doesnt mean force you into a rush orr rash dicision.

Get a second opinion from a lennox dealor Something isnt sounding right

my question is is it cracked or not on the verge of cracking is bs i would get someone else to look at it because i smell a rat

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast