Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

I was told today I need to replace my Heating/AC unit

I'm bummed. The guy came over today for my maintenance only to inform me that my 1993 Lennox 2 ton gas package unit has cracks in the heat exchanger and Lennox has no parts. He turned off my heat and made me sign a waiver so I'm using a wood fireplace for heat until I figure out what to do.

I know nothing about heating/AC units at all. I had American Home Shield for just this purpose but I let it lapse when I was laid off last year. Now I have to pay for a new unit myself and it's at a bad time. I'm still unemployed but I do have an emergency fund.

I want to be careful and really shop around for my best deal. So far the only quote I have is from the guys that did my maintenance. They gave me a quote of about ___ for a Payne model#PY3P024060. I know nothing about it. Is Payne good? He said it's a Carrier.

How do I go about finding people to come give me quotes? I heard don't go to Home Depot or Sears because they hire cheap work. How do I know who will do the best job? Do I just search the yellow pages? What questions to ask and what to beware of.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. I'm bummed but at least once it's installed and in I can rest in knowing I'm good to go for a good while and I won't have to pay for AHS anymore. I'm trying to look at the postive.

Thanks
    Last edited by diddlydudette; 02-20-2008 at 06:05 PM.

payne are good units. Yes they are mage by carrier

call arround and get more prices

by the way prices are not allowed so delete your price if you can

Ask friends who they use.

You may be able to get help from your city/county assistance program. Give them a call in the morning.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    I'm bummed. The guy came over today for my maintenance only to inform me that my 1993 Lennox 2 ton gas package unit has cracks in the heat exchanger and Lennox has no parts. He turned off my heat and made me sign a waiver so I'm using a wood fireplace for heat until I figure out what to do.

I know nothing about heating/AC units at all. I had American Home Shield for just this purpose but I let it lapse when I was laid off last year. Now I have to pay for a new unit myself and it's at a bad time. I'm still unemployed but I do have an emergency fund.

I want to be careful and really shop around for my best deal. So far the only quote I have is from the guys that did my maintenance. They gave me a quote of about 3500 for a Payne model#PY3P024060. I know nothing about it. Is Payne good? He said it's a Carrier.

How do I go about finding people to come give me quotes? I heard don't go to Home Depot or Sears because they hire cheap work. How do I know who will do the best job? Do I just search the yellow pages? What questions to ask and what to beware of.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. I'm bummed but at least once it's installed and in I can rest in knowing I'm good to go for a good while and I won't have to pay for AHS anymore. I'm trying to look at the postive.

Thanks

it deffinetly wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion is there anyone you know in the area who may use another company that they can recommend? as for home depot, we are a installer for them and i can tell you that we aren't cheap work! i haven't heard very good things about sears on this forum though, but i have had noe personal experience with them either. most companies will give you an estimate to replace free, but to have the heat exchanger checked again may require a service fee. does you climate accept the use of a heat pump system? the energy company here will finance a heat pump system right into your utility bill every month at a very handsome apr. lower than most financing agencies.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Thumbs up Bryant-Day-Night-Payne=BDP Carrier

Ask your neighbors or people of your church. If you need a hand up with you being un-employed there are usally local mechanical contractors that will discount you a unit.

Payne is a quality piece of equipment as long as it is maintained properly.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

You need to take out your pricing, not allowed to talk about that here. I think that is a decent price, I would not go through sears or home depot not only because they sometimes do substandard work, but also because you will pay alot more by using them. Get some references from friends and find a good independent contractor to do your job. Also check out the Goodman package gas unit, they are a nice unit and the ones I have installed have been extremely reliable.

Thanks guys.

I am doing online research right now and see where it is mentioned frequently about how important the contractor is doing the work. How would I know which one would do a good job in my area. I haven't a clue and I'm not so sure my friends would know this. My friends are mostly female and husbands either don't know that kind of thing or either my friends aren't married. lol

I appreciate all of your help, hints and suggestions. They've been a big help.

What is a Manual J and how do I make sure anyone that comes out for an estimate does this?

I have a good sized emergency fund so I can pay outright and not finance, but I just hate that this happened at this time. I'll be ok, but just frustrated with myself I didn't stay with America Home Shield. I keep kicking myself all day. But thanks for suggestions on payment options.

I'm glad I found this forum

a good company will do a load calculation on your house. has that been done by your current company? if not ask them if they will do one for you to ensure that you are getting properly sized equipment. also they will take a very good look at you current duct system, and may make recommendations on replacement or repairs needed. and return duct size is questionable too. they may suggest a larger or additional return. you can also try the better business bureau to locate local contractors.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

If you could post your location someone on this forum might be nearby.

Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    I'll be ok, but just frustrated with myself I didn't stay with America Home Shield

Don't kick yourself too hard....they are no different than the depot or sears...they hire cheap labor too...Had to go out to meet a podunk hvac contractor once on behalf of homeshield to provide proof a cracked heat exchanger. Pulled out my camera and the two guys thought I was some kind of rocket scientist. They said that the just always looked for a disturbance with the falmes when the blower came on.

If you have the money, I would definately invest in someone good. Try Angie's List also for contractors in your area. Good luck and keep us posted!
    I need a new signature.....

The guy is probably telling the truth, but everyone makes mistakes, so it never hurts to get a second opinion. You might have to pay someone for that opinion, but sometimes those people will take that amount off of the installation price if you buy one.

Even if Lennox had a new heat exchanger, it probably wouldn’t be worth spending the money on an old unit. You might be able to get a low interest loan from somewhere.

The best way to find someone is to ask (ex)co-workers, friends, and neighbors. I used to install for Sears when I first started out. I think I did good work, but a lot of the contractors they and HD hire are hacks.

1993 package unit is server its life time sorry to say. Even if he was wrong you may be is this position next year and not have the funds.

More then likely he is correct and you do need a new unit

If you trust this contractor ask to see some pictures of his work and also ask for referances. He should be able to supply both to you.

as has been said already dont kick yourself to hard the insurance company most likely would have found a way to weasle out on you.

or you would realy be KICKING your self for useing them because it is thier contractor and equipment and you get what you get.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast