Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boilermate Original Leaking

I RECENTLY BOUGHT THIS HOUSE AND THE FURNACE AND BOILERMATE WERE JUST REPLACED WITHIN THE LAST 2 YEARS. i HAVE BEEN IN IT FOR ALMOST A YEAR AND JUST NOTICED THE SMALL PUDDLE COMING FROM THE BOILERMATE IT SEEMS TO BE FROM A GASKET FROM A PLATE BOLTED TO THE BOTTOM I DON'T WANT TO TOUCH IT FEARING I WILL ONLY MAKE IT WORSE. ANY IDEAS?

find out who installed it and have them repair it

if you dont know who installed it or they wont come out then call a plumber and have them look it over

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    find out who installed it and have them repair it

if you dont know who installed it or they wont come out then call a plumber and have them look it over
    Yep.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Do not let them replace it with another BoilerMate.

MA

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerBoiler MN View Post
    Do not let them replace it with another BoilerMate.

MA
    Why?

It is likely double-wall, i.e. inefficient and high head.

MA

A BoilerMate has spray foam insulation, and they always seemed pretty efficient to me. Do you mean compared to other brands?

It is well insulated as they all are. Heat transfer efficiency is marginal with a single wall heat exchanger and double wall if awful.

I have a policy problem with double-wall heat exchangers in residential applications it is just plain unnecessary and my tolerance for the double wall "argument" gets less with every breath.

MA

It is well insulated as they all are. Heat transfer efficiency is marginal with a single wall heat exchanger and double wall if awful.

I have a policy problem with double-wall heat exchangers in residential applications it is just plain unnecessary and my tolerance for the double wall "argument" gets less with every breath.

MA

i thought boilermate had a coil up the middle and the is the hX

Yes, it has a large coil running up the center. The coil is connected to the boiler and acts just like another zone. Most of the tank contains domestic hot water. IMO, they are pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    Yes, it has a large coil running up the center. The coil is connected to the boiler and acts just like another zone. Most of the tank contains domestic hot water. IMO, they are pretty nice.
    Had one in my old house it was a great unit
    never ran out of hot water and 10 min recovery rate

It did start to leak at the bottom also and it isnt an easy fix

Don't get me wrong, indirects are the finest form of water heating available for residential applications. Boilermates are perhaps my least favorite and instead of fighting rediculous double wall codes, they took advantage of illadvised restrictions on indirects.

Bad policy. Bad business. Not to mentions having to stand a water heater on its head to service it...? What were they thinking. Now finally turned right-side-up and pipes coming out both sides like a bull. Not user friendly.

There are so many other great choices out there. All last 30 years and practically no leakers!

MA

Don't get me wrong, indirects are the finest form of water heating available for residential applications. Boilermates are perhaps my least favorite and instead of fighting rediculous double wall codes, they took advantage of illadvised restrictions on indirects.

Bad policy. Bad business. Not to mentions having to stand a water heater on its head to service it...? What were they thinking. Now finally turned right-side-up and pipes coming out both sides like a bull. Not user friendly.

There are so many other great choices out there. All last 30 years and practically no leakers!

MA
    What brands do you like? I picked up a customer with a Weil, and had to replace the thermostat, then two years later it started leaking. IMO, it was a piece of junk. Not sure who makes it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast