Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

seeking info on germ killing capability

Does anyone have a comparison chart that compares Trane Clean Effects vs.
    Lennox Pure Air vs. Carrier Infinity vs. Strion Air for residential whole house
    pathogen killing capabilities:

Efficacy - the % of inactivation of virus, bacteria, spores
    Flow impedance
    Pressure drop at 500 CFM
    Size, Weight of unit
    Cost (to dealers)
    Reliability
    Dimensions and cost of replacement filters

Thank you,

Guardfromgerms

You will find that none of the 3 you described will release any documentation on what you are asking for. But as for your question you are most likely looking for information on biologics as a broad term IE: bacteria,viruses and mold spores. You EAC units will do a decent job on typical bacterias and viruses because it doesn't require much energy to make them non viable. Mold spores are a different entity. An EAC won't have near the same results as a PCO unit. The Lennox unit does not use UVC so you don't get the germicidal effect you would get with the C band lighting. But the B band does activate the catalyst and oxidize the VOCs well and the other biologics at a different rate.
    Last edited by genesis; 02-19-2008 at 10:26 PM.

far as i know the only people that are claiming to kill airborne germs are the UV light crowd. all the air cleaning systems you mention are designed to filter air. so they capture particals in the air and store these particals until cleaned. i really don't see any manufacturer or competent dealer claiming to kill substances in the air. WAY TOO MUCH LIABILITY!! i wouldn't even put my neck out there on that one!! especially here in NC with all the moisture issues.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

consumer reports has done their evalutaion of these systems. thats a close as you will get to the info your looking for

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

beach you residential guys think small. In my business we have to show results in IAQ and document them. I have the proper testing documentation to show potential customers on our product. The problem with posting it on the internet other manufactures will take those figures and twist them for there own gain even though it might be similar technology but not the exact same equipment. I can give you dwell times for most spores viruses and bacteria for just UVGI alone. We are still gathering data on the reductions in dwell time using a PCO activated with UVGI lighting. I can tell you this compared to just UVGI illumination you add a proper PCO in the air stream the significance is quite large in the removal of biologics.
    Even a 99.999 efficient hepa filter will let some gasses and bio-aerasols infiltrate it
    Most recent study we have done using a PCO product in a hospital of 250,000 sq ft four stories. We had over a 60% reduction in spore counts in the over all hospital with a 55% increase in spore counts in the fresh air inlets at each AHU on all floors. With the properly engineered system you can achieve measurable results in an occupied space.

its not thinking small. its CYA you figure that one out. when dealing with a sue happy home owner you dismiss any thought of biological substances. i would be more than happy to do what you are doing. but until the whole industry makes a move in that direction, i cannot. i need my job

UV light is limited in the organisms it can kill. Allergens such as pollen and dust have to be filtered, not killed. It is no miracle cure as some might have you believe. We used them in many large AHU's but they also have a short effective working distance. And not a long life for the cost. It was worth it in certain applications. Using a good pleated filter equal to Farr 30/30 reduced spores and pollen in our bldg's to less than 10% of the outdoor air numbers. Hepa works well but reduces air flow too much to use as a drop in replacement for most systems. Some can't even handle the press. drop with pleated filters. Electronic air cleaners work if kept clean.

Thumbs up

the uv i put in my trane AH at my house ate the drain pan in 2 years!! i have a personal experience with the clean effects system though. i have very bad allergies, and after in stalling one at my current residence i am no longer a prisoner in my own home!! former home owner had cats and dogs inside and i am allergic to both. after the clean effects install i did not have to take medicine to live at home!! well it did take about three months to make a difference.

shoulda read the destructions b-4 installing it above the a-coil, the plastic obviously didn't have UV protection. A UV will also degrade the plastics on a aprilaire humidifier (at least the older clear frame ones)
    You can't fix stupid

I'm not familar with the CA system but I do know there is a specific bacteria that makes dogs smell when they are wet. We had a lab that would grow it every semester and would get calls from all 4 floors of the science building. It has a long name but they called it the "wet dog" bacteria. UV did seem to kill it.

beach your dead on on the Clean Effects its a very capable filter. But as a service tech you will go the extra mile to make sure yours stays clean and functional. Most home owners though only know there is a problem when they don't have any a/c or heat in a house. Whats does this mean in most cases when there is an EAC installed? The coil is blocked from lack of filtration because the cells got dirty and the particulate bypassed the filter unit. It wouldn't be so bad if they would just add a safety in the units to shut down the a/c when the efficiency goes down. I don't believe you can ever replace the reliability of a good grade filter.

i was told that it would eat the pan but did not believe it. now i have a new pan with mastic tape covering all exposed pan (to the light) and its been going strong for a couple years. i went total over kill with the lights and had the old trane eac in until the clean effects came out. then the recall and now have the new cells installed. and have installed a metal sheild around the lights to prevent them from eating my filter sells

destructions=rotflmao

Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    beach your dead on on the Clean Effects its a very capable filter. But as a service tech you will go the extra mile to make sure yours stays clean and functional. Most home owners though only know there is a problem when they don't have any a/c or heat in a house. Whats does this mean in most cases when there is an EAC installed? The coil is blocked from lack of filtration because the cells got dirty and the particulate bypassed the filter unit. It wouldn't be so bad if they would just add a safety in the units to shut down the a/c when the efficiency goes down. I don't believe you can ever replace the reliability of a good grade filter.
    i totally agree i run pleated filters in my grills even though trane says you don't have to. my take on that is to prevent build up in the duct from the grill to the air cleaner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast