+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Curtis commercial refrigerator

Post Likes

Curtis commercial refrigerator

Hi guys. I'm just getting into commercial refrigeration. I have a 3 Curtis refrigerators with evaporator coils iced up. I know that my problem lies with the timer and or pressure switch. Help please

Post Likes
    Refrigerator evaporators ice up from either bad temp. control, low on gas, or bad evaporator fan motor. Theres a defrost timer on this cooler? Dont see that very often

Post Likes
    Or door gaskets that are bad. I havent seen timers on curtis refrigerators either. I forget the model numbers but are they the units that are half refrigerator half freezer or just cooler? Some more info would help for sure

Post Likes
    The coil ices up because the compressor doesn't shut off. Coolers are "air defrost". The off time is required for defrosting.

Often a "coil-sensing" temperature control is utilized. This assures positive defrosts. Typically for a 35 degree cooler, the coil will be at 20 degrees when the box is at temp. The control senses this coil temperature and cycles the compressor on the coil temperature regardless of the box temp. then the compressor is disabled until the coil reaches 38 - 39 degrees (when ice cannot exist on the coil). If you are working on old, obsolete, hacked up equipment and cannot get proper control over the defrosting of the coil with an air-sensing temperature control, get a coil-sensing control and stab the coil with the capillary/bulb of the coil-sensing temperature control. Usually takes care of the problem if there are no other concerns - or often works around those other concerns.

Post Likes
    I have 2 of the Curtis units. One is half freezer and half cooler and the other is a full cooler. The cooler's condensing unit runs continuosly without shutting off so I'll install a coil sensing thermostat. Thanks guys

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in