Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Heat pump outdoor unit won't come on....

Ok here's my problem.

I've got a heat pump and the outdoor unit won't come one. I can make it come on by taken the panel off the outdoor unit and pushing in the contactor. After pushing and holding the contactor in, the compressor along with the fan will come on with no problem but goes off as soon as I let go. My mother-in-law lives next door with a unit exactly like the one I'm having a problem with. Her's works fine.

What I've done is taken all my parts out of my indoor unit and outdoor unit to her house and put them in her unit one part at a time trying to figure out which part isn't working. No luck. Every part when taken out of my indoor and outdoor units and put in her's worked.

I've even switch out my thermostat thinking that was the problem with no success either. The indoor unit blower comes on along with the emergency electrical elements. The problem is that the contactor on the outdoor unit isn't engaging sending 240V to the rest of the outdoor unit. So, I replaced the contactor thinking it was bad. Still nothing.

Any ideas???

OUTDOOR UNIT

INDOOR UNIT

Keep in mind that I've tried all my parts one at a time in my mother-in-law's unit an each component worked. All that B.S. took probably 5 hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by maverick1970; 02-18-2008 at 11:03 PM. Reason: put the wrong hyperlinks.

Nice job rewiring all the components.

If the contactor isn't engaging than you have to trace the low voltage control circuit and check all limits.

This is not a DIY site - can't give any more info.

Whats funny is that would take a professional < 8 minutes to diagnose...5 hours must not be worth very much to you...
    "Overkill is an often underrated achievement", Will Hayden -- Red Jacket Firearms

I just want to say thanks for the laugh. Seriously, I have not laughed this much in quite a while. Swapped out every part, eh?

Sorry for having so much fun at your expense, but at least you have accomplished something.....making me laugh.

Oh, call someone who knows what they are doing before you wipe out both of the systems you are putzing around with.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

LOL Gotta hand it to that boy, being brave enough to disassemble the mother in law's system trying to get his going. That take's b----. As has been mentioned, you need to call a tech. Keep in mind though what would have been a simple fairly quick job for the tech has now been complicated by your diy. If he doesn't trace the entire circutry & verify it is correct before he does anything else, he risk's frying something.

5 Hours.
    You screwed around with it for 5 Hours?

Good grief, call a service ompany.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I'm not laughing at you maverick......wait.....yes I am.......It's gonna be a great day!...
    It is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, for we are in deep crap.

Stop

Call the professionals. That what they do.

ok thanks

my wife is wanting breast implants is there a discussion forum that i could get advise on how ot do it myself and save the 7k?

i am so sore from laughing!!!
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Parts from Mother In Law's unit................free
    New Contactor......................................$XX .xx
    Posting to a professional website.............free

Giving everyone something to hang on the wall at their shop in the morning...............PRICELESS!!!!

There are so many things wrong with that....on so many levels.
    Call a pro man!! Probably take about 5 minutes for him to figure it out.
    I need a new signature.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast