Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ABQ,NM
    Posts
    16

    Carrier Infinity Control Thermostat Q's...

    Can the Infinity Control direct high heat with high fan immediately in the morning? (by-passing the 15 minute period of low heat with low fan speed)

    We have a Honeywell thermostat with very limited control. We want fast heat to the farthest bedroom and low fan will raise the temps near the thermostat with only a couple degree increase in the bedroom and shower area. We don't want the heater to come on earlier because it wakes us up, sometimes on low fan but for sure on high. So we would like to just let it rip about 10 minutes before we want to get up.

    ---------------------------

    We'd also like the option to keep the low fan on to more even out temps in the house (Mix cooler room air with the warmer rools). Can the Infinity control do this as well?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Not that I know of,but it can reach the setpoint at the time you want by starting earlier,and other stats,can as well.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Derwood, Md
    Posts
    142
    In a certain way it can. Turn off the smart recovery and it will go in high heat when there is large change in the temperature demand. That is the way I have mine set because I didn't want it come on so long before we were getting up. During the nite mine is set back at 60 and at 6:30 I have mine set to be 65. With the smart recovery it would already start before 6:00 to get to the set point of 65 at 6:30. Without smart recovery it will see up to a 5 degree difference and will go straight into high if it calculates that it can not raise the temperature in a set time.


    You can keep the fan on low all the time and as I recall it can be even programmed.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    12,178
    Fix the duct.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ABQ,NM
    Posts
    16

    Hey MoveOver, would you explain please?

    Do you have the Carrier Infinity Control Thermostat? I don't believe I have that kind of control over my system with the Honeywell thermostat that I have.

    I don't think I have any control over fan speed. I also set my night temp to 62 and so far have always had a 7 or 8 degree differential when the furnace comes on in the morning. It has always come on with low blower for 20 minutes then transitions to high blower?????????

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Derwood, Md
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by 16F-MAD View Post
    Do you have the Carrier Infinity Control Thermostat? I don't believe I have that kind of control over my system with the Honeywell thermostat that I have.

    I don't think I have any control over fan speed. I also set my night temp to 62 and so far have always had a 7 or 8 degree differential when the furnace comes on in the morning. It has always come on with low blower for 20 minutes then transitions to high blower?????????
    I have the Evolution Control, which is identical to the Infinity but the labeling.
    Once you have the Infinity Control, it takes over from the board on the furnace, any jumper settings no longer apply. The Controller constantly communicates with the furnace. I can control humidity settings, schedules, fan speed ( Auto, Low, Med and High) and many more settings. Plus you get to see your static too. Here is a link to the installation manual and all the items that can be programmed.

    http://xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups.../uid01-2si.pdf

    Can't understand why your dealer would sell you an Infinity Furnace without the Infinity Control.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by MoveOver View Post
    I have the Evolution Control, which is identical to the Infinity but the labeling.
    Once you have the Infinity Control, it takes over from the board on the furnace, any jumper settings no longer apply. The Controller constantly communicates with the furnace. I can control humidity settings, schedules, fan speed ( Auto, Low, Med and High) and many more settings. Plus you get to see your static too. Here is a link to the installation manual and all the items that can be programmed.

    http://xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups.../uid01-2si.pdf

    Can't understand why your dealer would sell you an Infinity Furnace without the Infinity Control.
    Agree you need the Infinity Control with the system but I still have a problem with my system
    Carrier Infinity 96/Infinity Control with the blower set to run on Low. When the thermostat calls for heat there is a Blower-Off Delay of 120 seconds that also shuts down the electronic cleaner since the blower is off. Not sure it happens each time the thermostat calls for heat but it does it numerous times daily. As the delay starts the burner ignites, hear the inducer, humidifier flow is on and in 120 seconds the blower starts again. The house is feeling cold and the furnace is stone cold when this happens. To me it makes no sense to shut down on ignition and then start the blower again.

    Had posted on this earlier and got one reply that the delay on ignition is perfectly normal because it lets the heat exchangers warm up before the air starts to get circulated. Cannot change it, that is the way it is programmed.

    I do not feel this is correct. It does not wait for temperature it starts the blower after the 120 seconds. Why do unnecessary motor starts and why a stone cold furnace before I get heat going again? Moved the Anticipator from 4 to 3 (Cycles at default 4) but still get the cold shutdown on call for heat. Is the shut down related to the Anticipator or something else?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,462
    You do not have a problem, it is normal and is the designed way of operating, it is also because of the reason you were given. This is actually a function of the furnace control board, not the Infinity control. You may not agree....but years of HVAC engineering says this is the way it should be. It is not a problem for the motor and it does allow the heat exchanger to come up to temperature properly which prolongs the life of the HX and comfort of the furnace.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

    Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

    Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ABQ,NM
    Posts
    16

    Confused Hey MoveOver, question on smart recovery.

    I was trying to figure out when the furnace would come on to satisfy the following conditions:

    wake : 73 degrees at 6:15AM, Night temp is setback to 62 degrees.

    I programmed the fan speed to high hopefully overriding low fan speed period and giving immediate high fan and high heat.

    I did not want the furnace to come on 90 minutes prior to set time (factory default for smart recovery on). I had a Honeywell thermostat installed until about 5 hours ago. We were certain that furnace came on 60 minutes prior to the set time. This does not agree with the manual stating a 90-minute default setting for smart recovery.

    I am not sure the how the furnace will react with commanding high fan nor do I know when it will come on.

    Will the furnace come on with low fire and high fan?
    When will the furnace come on since smart recovery is off?

    You (any of you that read this) may ask why we set the furnace up this way. Both my wife and I are light sleepers. When the furnace comes on, we are awakened long before we want to get up. We hope that the furnace comes on about 30 minutes before the set time and reaches the desired set point of +11 degrees in about 35-40 minutes. This will get the Master Bath and Bedroom to about 67 degrees (there is a 6 degree differential between the thermostat location and the temperature in the MBR) for showering and dressing. We have this setting only two days a week when my wife rises early for work.

    The Carrier installer was familiar with the Infinity thermostat but not entirely. He had to call a friend to figure out how to set fan speeds and had no idea about the time the furnace would come on to warm to the set point.

    Hope that makes sense.

    Thanks for the help.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by plain spoken View Post
    You do not have a problem, it is normal and is the designed way of operating, it is also because of the reason you were given. This is actually a function of the furnace control board, not the Infinity control. You may not agree....but years of HVAC engineering says this is the way it should be. It is not a problem for the motor and it does allow the heat exchanger to come up to temperature properly which prolongs the life of the HX and comfort of the furnace.
    OK, I can accept that. Assume HX refers to the Heat Exchanger. However, the shut down also occurred during the cooling season set on COOL and LOW fan on. Only noticed it two or three times last summer. I began to notice it more during the heating season since I was working in the basement near the unit and would hear it shut down. The AC thermostat light did flash rapidly on occasion last summer but have never seen anything since and the AC/HEAT on light normally is a steady pulse count of about 2 seconds.
    What do you think about the shut down in AC mode and the rapid flashing light?
    Thanks for your replies

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by 16F-MAD View Post
    I was trying to figure out when the furnace would come on to satisfy the following conditions:

    wake : 73 degrees at 6:15AM, Night temp is setback to 62 degrees.

    I programmed the fan speed to high hopefully overriding low fan speed period and giving immediate high fan and high heat.

    I did not want the furnace to come on 90 minutes prior to set time (factory default for smart recovery on). I had a Honeywell thermostat installed until about 5 hours ago. We were certain that furnace came on 60 minutes prior to the set time. This does not agree with the manual stating a 90-minute default setting for smart recovery.

    I am not sure the how the furnace will react with commanding high fan nor do I know when it will come on.

    Will the furnace come on with low fire and high fan?
    When will the furnace come on since smart recovery is off?

    You (any of you that read this) may ask why we set the furnace up this way. Both my wife and I are light sleepers. When the furnace comes on, we are awakened long before we want to get up. We hope that the furnace comes on about 30 minutes before the set time and reaches the desired set point of +11 degrees in about 35-40 minutes. This will get the Master Bath and Bedroom to about 67 degrees (there is a 6 degree differential between the thermostat location and the temperature in the MBR) for showering and dressing. We have this setting only two days a week when my wife rises early for work.

    The Carrier installer was familiar with the Infinity thermostat but not entirely. He had to call a friend to figure out how to set fan speeds and had no idea about the time the furnace would come on to warm to the set point.

    Hope that makes sense.

    Thanks for the help.
    I have the same issue. I don't like the noise -- also, I would get too hot in bed with the heat running 1.5 hours before set time.

    So I just pushed back the set time. Rather than have the thermostat set to recover (from 60 degrees) to 67 degrees at 6:00 AM (which is when I wake up) -- meaning it would start recovery at 4:30 AM. I now have it set to reach 67 degrees at 7:15 AM. So it comes on at about 5:45 AM -- and when it does it comes on low initially so it doesn't wake me early, nor does it get too hot before I wake up.

    While its not perfect, since its not up to the set point temperature -- it generally feels warmer than it actually is when the air is actually blowing, even if the room is at a lower temperature.

    I believe you can also turn off "smart recovery" in the advanced settings. So then you don't have to worry about the 1.5 hour recovery time. It will just come on at the time you set it to recover.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    ABQ,NM
    Posts
    16
    EAP,

    I am trying basically the same thing you are doing. Tonight I have smart recovery off, fan on auto, and start time of 5:45 AM. I will be looking for how long the system is in low fire, and plotting how long it takes to raise the temperature. My gut feel is about a degree every 5 minutes, assuming a 65 degree start temperature at the thermostat and a 3-4 degree difference (lower) in the master bedroom.

    Yesterday I tried the same thing with the fan speed directed to high immediately. Unfortunately I was not home and my wife's tracking of the temperature rise was not adequate for discussion.

    Adios.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4
    Question: How do you turn off the smart recovery function? Our manual (for the Comfort/Touch-N-Go) says to call dealer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event