Thread: What is the Best Micron Gage

Post Likes

Micron

Moved Forum
    Last edited by Yipikia; 02-18-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum

Post Likes

Mercury does not lie

Call me old, go ahead, I can take it.

If you could buy an electronic instrument that would give the same reading twice, I would consider it. It has been my experience with the electronic models that the reading fluctuates everytime.

It will be fun to see where this goes, again.

You could do a search & save yourself some time as this has been debated before.
    All my leon freaked out!

Post Likes

Thanks Chiller Mek

I did find a few good threads minutes after this posting.

Tried to delete but we newbies get to fall down a few times
    Minutes after posting I did search the Tools Forum and did read through a few threads. But I'm wanting to know the best way to get an extended capicity CTV down to .5 mm Mercury without mercury. I've never been able to get my Vac-U Ator down that low. That's where the questions start popping in (not good ones either).

All our Mercury Manometers have been confiscated, I am just having a hard time trusting the Vac-U-Ator. Maybe I should just get used to it! I just wish there was a foolproof/accurate test instrument that was inexpensive and robust.

But thanks for your comments again!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Yipikia View Post

All our Mercury Manometers have been confiscated, I am just having a hard time trusting the Vac-U-Ator.
    Vac-U Ator!!! made by A&N products, ohio. Vac-Q , made by humbert, pa. where do you get the go-go juice for it. i'm striking out everywhere.used it forever, pretty reliable

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Yipikia;1764123]I did find a few good threads minutes after this posting.

All our Mercury Manometers have been confiscated, I am just having a hard time trusting the Vac-U-Ator. Maybe I should just get used to it! I just wish there was a foolproof/accurate test instrument that was inexpensive and robust.

never give up my hg"manometer they are going to have to pry it out of my cold dead fingeres

Post Likes

Carbonal

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    Vac-U Ator!!! made by A&N products, ohio. Vac-Q , made by humbert, pa. where do you get the go-go juice for it. i'm striking out everywhere.used it forever, pretty reliable
    Here is the contact info:

A & N Products, Inc.
    5873 CHAPELHILL DRIVE, CINCINNATI, OHIO 45233 (513) 451-1721
    http://www.vacuator.com Fax (513) 922-3892 Cell (513) 703-8174

The Vac-U-Ator™ kit is designed to retail for $110.00+. It comes in a kit with instructions, large
    P/T chart and empty bottle with pour spout. Carbinol liquid is purchased separately.

Post Likes
    First time I have heard of this product, please someone explain how it works.

Thanks

Roy
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    George Orwell.

Post Likes
    I used to have a Robinaire analog meter...I really liked it. It was pretty big and bulky. It seemed to work pretty well unless I got oil or junk in the transducer. I see they have the 14010A now....Haven't heard anything about them.

I now have a Supco that came with my tools when I started at this job....I was pretty skeptical at first....hard plastic case and all....and my first evacuation and I only pulled down to 1300 microns...I thought it was I lying piece of cr**.....until I blew the chiller back up and found the leak I had missed I've had it for about four years now and still works fine. I've take pretty good care....don't drop it as much as I do my other tools.

Post Likes
    I still have and use my mercury manometer. I have the bar type Robinair and a Robinair vacuum tube type analog. The analog is good, bulky and you have to take care of the thermocouple. Alot of people are concerned about how deep a vacuum you are pulling, I agree but am more concerned about the amount of rise. I never agreed with Trane's 2mm or 2000 microns. If that's all I can get and that is their accepted rise, bet you it's got a leak in it. I can usually get one in the 500-700 micron range unless there is moisture in it.
    Bottom line, you have to take care of it and have it calibrated. I have been most happy with my u-tube. Unless it lost mercury, it does not lie!
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Post Likes

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Yipikia View Post
    Here is the contact info:

A & N Products, Inc.
    5873 CHAPELHILL DRIVE, CINCINNATI, OHIO 45233 (513) 451-1721
    http://www.vacuator.com Fax (513) 922-3892 Cell (513) 703-8174

The Vac-U-Ator™ kit is designed to retail for $110.00+. It comes in a kit with instructions, large
    P/T chart and empty bottle with pour spout. Carbinol liquid is purchased separately.
    thank you, thank you! i had the darn box in front of me when i started on this mission 3 weeks ago. somehow the 'n' became 'r' - no can find. ordered a qt. w/ shipping for $79 . a million thanks again

Post Likes
    I wish they could make something electronic that could be reliable. Oh-reliable, that would be the good old mercury manometer. I know a lot of sites ban said device, but carrying it in inside your pocket does work most times as it should only take a couple of minutes to check the vacuum. It don't run on batteries which run down, hence trying like an insane scientist to get the same reading twice. Anyway, I think I just gave 3 cents instead of 2 cents worth there.
    We aren't service engineers, we are service re-engineers!! Work is what you make it, have fun.....

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=stickerhead;1765233 I never agreed with Trane's 2mm or 2000 microns.

hell sticker york's acceptable evacuation is 5k microns (IT'S IN THE BOOK)

Post Likes

Arrow

NEVER LET ANYONE USE YOUR MICRON GAUGE, regardless which type you have. I do prefer a TIF 9450D,
    and have 3 of them.

The GOV.

Post Likes
    Do you average the 3 readings there guv? heheh!!
    We aren't service engineers, we are service re-engineers!! Work is what you make it, have fun.....

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=frick;1765790][QUOTE=stickerhead;1765233 I never agreed with Trane's 2mm or 2000 microns.

hell sticker york's acceptable evacuation is 5k microns (IT'S IN THE BOOK)[/QUOTE]

The book hasn't been updated since purges were real purges and R-11 was 25 cents a pound. Remember leak checking with nitrogen pressurize and leak check.....run the purge overnight and run and log next morning.....annual parts list included a 100 lbs. of gas......no wonder the ozone shrunk

Post Likes

Smile

Sure i use one as my standard, which has been factory calibrated.

Have you ever calculated how many microns equal a mm of HG ?

kind of like comparing drops of oil (microns) to gallons(mm) of oil ?

Post Likes

Smile

007 , i do understand why y moved on, and I will soon.

Post Likes
    I thought you would have all 3 hooked up and checked them all. Naw, you know I'm just harassing you!! But mercury does not lie, so 1mm of Hg equals 1k microns, which to me on some of the chillers is more than acceptable for a deep vacuum.

Post Likes
    So 1mm of Hg = 1,000 microns. i really need some extra fine glasses to see 1/1000 of a mm. Dammmmm i wish you were here to show me. NO NOT you here me there. ???

SEE YA

Post Likes
    I miss the days of nitrogen leak checks! Run the purge all nite, start it up and blow the condenser as needed. Add gas and go to the next one!
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in