Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 36 of 36
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboViper View Post
    Apparently, your investigation failed to reveal that I have spoken with Goodman's consumer affairs dept in Houston.

    Your perception of my lack of respect for the HVAC industry doesn't merit a response.

    I didn't come here looking for sympathy. That's something that should have been readily apparent from my previous two posts. Being an HVAC "outsider", I was simply wondering how common it is to have the type of failure we've experienced. I know that installation is by default going to be blamed.

    I appreciate your concern for my happiness, but I'll be pretty straightforward about it. I'll create my own happiness with this situation, whatever is required. We have a saying at the shop, "There's never enough money to do it right, but there is always enough to do it over." If this turns out to be the biggest loss I ever eat, and it already can't be, I'll do okay.

    Thanks to all who offered up help.
    I did no investigation at all on this particular instance. I still want to help you. If you email me (email in my profile by clicking on my username) who you spoke to I will follow up and expedite getting your issue resolved....personally.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  2. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    18951
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboViper View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm willing to take my 29 lashes for this entire mess. I've been in the service business for 30 years and knew better.

    I don't know what the measured pressures were, but the installer and seller, who is also an installation contractor, agree that the reversing valve is not functioning properly. I do know that it cycles audibly and pressures reflect that.

    The system was not bought off the internet. I picked it up at the seller's location, two hours from here.

    I have a local Goodman contractor, but his arrogant attitude precludes my ever doing business with him again. In the past, I've bought repair parts from him for Goodman gas furnaces in some properties I own, but now I drive an hour to get them. I know the importance of customer service, and my business reflects it.

    I had the job quoted by a York contractor, but given the low anticipated usage in a well-insulated 2000 sq ft shop, I opted to save some money. Again, a bad decision. The York system in my home has served me well for 22 years.

    The reversing valve arrived today and it is made in China. I assume the original is, also. A topic for another thread....

    Being somewhat close to retirement age, (although I'm having entirely too much fun to quit what I do) I don't know how to address the suggestion that a retired craftsman is inept. I hope I've misunderstood.

    My original curiosity, "Are dead new systems common?" has been addressed. Again, thanks for the replies.
    You probably don’t deal with your local Goodman contractor because of his refusal to give you constant free advice, which made him seem arrogant.

    There are easy tests any competent HVAC technician can do to see if the reversing valve is bad. If you want to replace it without knowing for sure, go ahead and have fun, reversing valves are harder to replace than compressors.

    If your valve is bad, it’s most likely someone got contaminates in the system during installation. If so, you’re going to continue to have problem after problem.

    You had the job quoted by a York contractor, and decided to go cheap. If you’re half as smart as you think you are, you’ll cut your losses, chalk it up to experience, and call the York contractor to rip everything out and start over.

    Don’t even bother calling your retired HVAC contractor friend that owned you a favor, he's probably fed up with you by now, and has decided to pay someone for future work rather than be beholden to you.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,879
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    No one actually stated the installer was inept, but he certainly seems to have improperly diagnosed this issue.


    As stated, a malfunctioning reversing valve is going to usually create issues in both heating and cooling modes. A "bad" revsing valve is one that either sticks or leaks intenally (due to "sticking").

    Not operating in the heat mode would mean that there is power to the "O" s hear from that tech firsthand so we actually have something to work with.

    I road the installer being an x contractor.


    I'm waiting to hear what they're going to do after the new RV is installed and it does the same thing.

    I'm not allowed to tell them what wire to remove to prove that its a wiring problem. That would be DIY advise.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  4. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    You probably don’t deal with your local Goodman contractor because of his refusal to give you constant free advice, which made him seem arrogant.

    There are easy tests any competent HVAC technician can do to see if the reversing valve is bad. If you want to replace it without knowing for sure, go ahead and have fun, reversing valves are harder to replace than compressors.

    If your valve is bad, it’s most likely someone got contaminates in the system during installation. If so, you’re going to continue to have problem after problem.

    You had the job quoted by a York contractor, and decided to go cheap. If you’re half as smart as you think you are, you’ll cut your losses, chalk it up to experience, and call the York contractor to rip everything out and start over.

    Don’t even bother calling your retired HVAC contractor friend that owned you a favor, he's probably fed up with you by now, and has decided to pay someone for future work rather than be beholden to you.
    Your ad hominem response made me laugh. Many of the folks who still do business with this certain contractor cannot stand him. I know several who won't set foot in his place. I've never asked for his advice. Not once.

    Your analysis of me failed to note the three hours I spent with a customer yesterday helping him sort out some critical choices for a project we are doing. That is time I won't be billing him for, by the way. Now who seems arrogant?

    I have spent countless hours answering e-mail questions that have resulted from the two technical books and dozens of magazine articles I've written -not on HVAC-, yeah, you got me on that one.

    I don't know how smart you think that I think that I am, but I will assure you that I am several notches shy of being a genius. It might surprise you, however, to know that I have designed more complicated electronic control systems than you'll find in a residential HVAC system. And I am smart enough to never take cheap shots from my keyboard at people I don't know.

    Since my original mea maxima culpa seems not to have been sufficient, I'll say it again: I made a mistake. To those who love Goodman, I apologize. I did not intend to bash them or their equipment. After some reading on this forum, I see there is tremendous brand loyalty and equal brand hatred. I should have left out the brand identification and my question could still have been answered, sans the controversy.

    RoboTeq, I appreciate your offer. I'm not planning to do anything to the system at this time, and your (and others) belief that the valve is not defective will be given large consideration.

    Thanks, and I wish you all well. Goodbye.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Good luck. My offer remains open. I absolutely can help you.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  6. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    146
    I disagree that its harder to replace a reversing valve than a compressor. I don't mind either but the changeover valve is a whole lot lighter if you ask me. You just have to know the tricks to making it easier to get the old one out so you can clean up the tubes to use in the new valve. Heat sink paste and damp rags and you got it whopped.... No heavy lifting involved. Robo, you seem to be awfully giving in this particular instance. Not that you aren't always willing to help but more so this time. Just my observation. Excuse me if I am out of line but my neighbors AEPT030 with the Chinese Contactor burned out the CPLT24-1B's Control Transformer and they called crying about no heat and I just got them back up on my Sunday evening. I knew I would end up having them call me at night If I put their unit in and here we are. At least I got me some homemade sausage out of the deal and looks like I get a 50 dollar labor allowance from Goodman for the contactor. How about the burned up Transformer??

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Suppy NC
    Posts
    4,513
    since you have alot of experience with electronics and control wiring then trace your wiring from stat to air handler to condenser.

    let us know wat you find. follow the schamatic


    or take Robo up on his offer. It is you best route

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    east kansas
    Posts
    8,027
    What else did you have installed? Was it a complete system?
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by nc hvacman View Post
    I disagree that its harder to replace a reversing valve than a compressor. I don't mind either but the changeover valve is a whole lot lighter if you ask me. You just have to know the tricks to making it easier to get the old one out so you can clean up the tubes to use in the new valve. Heat sink paste and damp rags and you got it whopped.... No heavy lifting involved. Robo, you seem to be awfully giving in this particular instance. Not that you aren't always willing to help but more so this time. Just my observation. Excuse me if I am out of line but my neighbors AEPT030 with the Chinese Contactor burned out the CPLT24-1B's Control Transformer and they called crying about no heat and I just got them back up on my Sunday evening. I knew I would end up having them call me at night If I put their unit in and here we are. At least I got me some homemade sausage out of the deal and looks like I get a 50 dollar labor allowance from Goodman for the contactor. How about the burned up Transformer??
    Any failed part is covered under the warranty no matter what made it fail (within reason).

    My willingness to work with a contractor to help the OP out is that he is in my territory and I can actually do something hands on with this one.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  10. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Melbourne,Aus
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Any failed part is covered under the warranty no matter what made it fail (within reason).

    My willingness to work with a contractor to help the OP out is that he is in my territory and I can actually do something hands on with this one.
    That really depends.!!!!! if you are in charge of Warranty issues then you will make sure that if a claim comes in it is actually Warranty....Warranty cost's just push up the bottom line of the manufacturers product which in turn makes the units or equipment just cost more.

    Not that this is my job but as long as companies are outsourcing to overseas companies to get cheaper parts then things are going to fail. I would like to think that most A/C units are built to a quality standard but the people who make them are only human and if they have the Shi$s on with the company on the day that they are manufacuring a unit it is going to turn out crap!!

    We all hang crap on the manufacurers when a peice of equipmeny fails but that is up to the workers who either build that piece of equipment or put it together.

    I would hate to be a manufacturer as your the bad guy when something fails..!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event