Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Everything's made in China, the Made in USA sticker was probably made there.

Quote Originally Posted by air311 View Post
    Everything's made in China, the Made in USA sticker was probably made there.
    Yea, those factory tours they give are just a front. They probably drug your coffee and donuts and then fly you to China for the tour, then drug you at dinner and fly you back.

They probably do the same thing to the Japanese when they want to tour the ductless split system plants.

Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post
    I thought they were made in Texas. They shipping cardboard says "Made in the USA".

Also, I'm sure that Goodman uses the same reversing valves as many other brands, including the more pricey brands.

-JB
    The reversing valve is made in China, the unit itself is assembled down in Houston by imported workers.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    the unit itself is assembled down in Houston by imported workers.

Would those imported workers be from the east "katrina" or the west "Jose"

Well at least they still assembled in the USA, Mr. knows one company there stuff is assembled in Mexico.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    The reversing valve is made in China
    thats what I meant, along with nearly every other component in a Goodman HP, not American brands being made in China either

Reversing valves used to be reliable, not the case any more from what Ive seen lately

Quote Originally Posted by bobb25 View Post
    Yea, those factory tours they give are just a front. They probably drug your coffee and donuts and then fly you to China for the tour, then drug you at dinner and fly you back.

They probably do the same thing to the Japanese when they want to tour the ductless split system plants.
    Those are some damn good drugs they're giving. I wa sbeing sarcastic, I hope you got that. HVAC is one of the last industries where most of the equipment is made in America. And canada, that's where my furnace was made.

O D piston missing ?

Works fine in cooling but not in heating
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm willing to take my 29 lashes for this entire mess. I've been in the service business for 30 years and knew better.

I don't know what the measured pressures were, but the installer and seller, who is also an installation contractor, agree that the reversing valve is not functioning properly. I do know that it cycles audibly and pressures reflect that.

The system was not bought off the internet. I picked it up at the seller's location, two hours from here.

I have a local Goodman contractor, but his arrogant attitude precludes my ever doing business with him again. In the past, I've bought repair parts from him for Goodman gas furnaces in some properties I own, but now I drive an hour to get them. I know the importance of customer service, and my business reflects it.

I had the job quoted by a York contractor, but given the low anticipated usage in a well-insulated 2000 sq ft shop, I opted to save some money. Again, a bad decision. The York system in my home has served me well for 22 years.

The reversing valve arrived today and it is made in China. I assume the original is, also. A topic for another thread....

Being somewhat close to retirement age, (although I'm having entirely too much fun to quit what I do) I don't know how to address the suggestion that a retired craftsman is inept. I hope I've misunderstood.

My original curiosity, "Are dead new systems common?" has been addressed. Again, thanks for the replies.

LOL..

Just because a contractor retires, doesn't mean he's inept.
    Bit more then one person has used that term. When in reality, the "retired contractor" only worked in the trade for a few years.

Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

problems with systems during first year- 90% installation- 10% equipment. the reversing valve on your goodman is manufactured by a company that makes these valves for other manufacturers too. chances are its the same valve as on another manufacturers system. and yes there can be challenges upon start up of a new system. but that does not mean you get a whole new system.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboViper View Post
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm willing to take my 29 lashes for this entire mess. I've been in the service business for 30 years and knew better.

I don't know what the measured pressures were, but the installer and seller, who is also an installation contractor, agree that the reversing valve is not functioning properly. I do know that it cycles audibly and pressures reflect that.

The system was not bought off the internet. I picked it up at the seller's location, two hours from here.

I have a local Goodman contractor, but his arrogant attitude precludes my ever doing business with him again. In the past, I've bought repair parts from him for Goodman gas furnaces in some properties I own, but now I drive an hour to get them. I know the importance of customer service, and my business reflects it.

I had the job quoted by a York contractor, but given the low anticipated usage in a well-insulated 2000 sq ft shop, I opted to save some money. Again, a bad decision. The York system in my home has served me well for 22 years.

The reversing valve arrived today and it is made in China. I assume the original is, also. A topic for another thread....

Being somewhat close to retirement age, (although I'm having entirely too much fun to quit what I do) I don't know how to address the suggestion that a retired craftsman is inept. I hope I've misunderstood.

My original curiosity, "Are dead new systems common?" has been addressed. Again, thanks for the replies.
    Well my friend, you have not talked to the Goodman rep in your area...believe me, I know that for a fact.

I also know who you purchased your equipment from and that you did get their information from the Internet.

At this point I really do want you to be happy, but I serously doubt the reversing valve is your issue. If you want to have the issue resolved, call the Goodman consumer affairs in Houston (877-254-4729) and file a complaint. That way you will get the Goodman rep to look at your system. If you had had your system installed by a Goodman contractor you could have had that contractor get the Goodman rep to your place.

The biggest problem here is your lack of respect for the HVAC industry makes you think that anyone can install equipment properly. If you want your system fixed properly, call Goodman's consumer affairs and be prepared to have a qualified HVAC technician at your home to meet with the regional Goodman rep.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    LOL..

Just because a contractor retires, doesn't mean he's inept.
    Bit more then one person has used that term. When in reality, the "retired contractor" only worked in the trade for a few years.

Everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    No one actually stated the installer was inept, but he certainly seems to have improperly diagnosed this issue. As stated, a malfunctioning reversing valve is going to usually create issues in both heating and cooling modes. A "bad" revsing valve is one that either sticks or leaks intenally (due to "sticking").

For cases where the reversing valve is not working properly in only one mode, it is usually a problem with the solenoid or pilot tubes. Not operating in the heat mode would mean that there is power to the "O" terminal from somewhere since this reversing valve energizes in the cooling mode.

Even the new Chinese valves we are seeing on the market operate on the same principles as reversing valves manufactured elsewhere. I have a Goodman heat pump with the same valve in it sittin outside of my home/office window.

At the very least, we need to be having this conversation with a technician, not someone who bought HVAC equipment direct and is now claiming it was installed by a qualified HVAC tech. Let's hear from that tech firsthand so we actually have something to work with.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Well my friend, you have not talked to the Goodman rep in your area...believe me, I know that for a fact.

I also know who you purchased your equipment from and that you did get their information from the Internet.

At this point I really do want you to be happy, but I serously doubt the reversing valve is your issue. If you want to have the issue resolved, call the Goodman consumer affairs in Houston (877-254-4729) and file a complaint. That way you will get the Goodman rep to look at your system. If you had had your system installed by a Goodman contractor you could have had that contractor get the Goodman rep to your place.

The biggest problem here is your lack of respect for the HVAC industry makes you think that anyone can install equipment properly. If you want your system fixed properly, call Goodman's consumer affairs and be prepared to have a qualified HVAC technician at your home to meet with the regional Goodman rep.
    Apparently, your investigation failed to reveal that I have spoken with Goodman's consumer affairs dept in Houston.

Your perception of my lack of respect for the HVAC industry doesn't merit a response.

I didn't come here looking for sympathy. That's something that should have been readily apparent from my previous two posts. Being an HVAC "outsider", I was simply wondering how common it is to have the type of failure we've experienced. I know that installation is by default going to be blamed.

I appreciate your concern for my happiness, but I'll be pretty straightforward about it. I'll create my own happiness with this situation, whatever is required. We have a saying at the shop, "There's never enough money to do it right, but there is always enough to do it over." If this turns out to be the biggest loss I ever eat, and it already can't be, I'll do okay.

Thanks to all who offered up help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast