Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Goodman H/P defective

Greetings to all and kudos for an informative site.
    I recently bought and had a new Goodman heatpump system installed. The installer is a retired HVAC contractor who is a friend and owed me a favor. On start up, the unit wouldn't heat but works fine in cooling mode. Cycling from heat to cool didn't help. Long story short, temp measurements across the reversing valve indicated it was faulty (about 30 degrees difference) and diagnosis was confirmed by the selling distributor of the unit. Goodman says that since warranty is parts only, they will only provide a new valve. I'm told that's an industry standard and it looks like we will have to repair Goodman's new unit.

Did I shoot myself in the foot by buying Goodman, or is it common for a new unit to be (partially)DOA?

You shot yourself in the foot by not having a company sell and install the unit for you.

First year labor warranty is on the contractor. Your friend as an X contractor knows this.

Nothing wrong with Goodman equipment.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Having DOA stuff is the norm

Just last Thursday had a bad board on an air handler and bad contactor on a heat pump, not same job nor brand.

I think been answered the rest of it very well

If there were a problem with a faulty reversing valve, there should be an issue in both heating and cooling modes. I would have someone with a bit more technical experience work on your system.

According to how you purchased the unit you're lucky to get a part under warranty.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    If there were a problem with a faulty reversing valve, there should be an issue in both heating and cooling modes. I would have someone with a bit more technical experience work on your system.
    That's very interesting, I never knew that. Is that when a valve is stuck completely one way or another, or is it just when stuck partially one way?

Did the selling distributor come out and look at the unit? If not, you might want to get a 2nd opinion from a contractor. What kind of pressures are you getting in both heating and cooling. If you're getting the exact same pressures, then that valve isn't moving at all, in which case, I'd start checking wiring before condeming a brand new reversing valve. I'd check all the way back to the tstat. Then again, that's just me, I look for the simple things first. Maybe bad reversing valves are common with Goodman.

Quote Originally Posted by everythingair View Post
    You mean someone that isn't an X contractor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Made in China, nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    According to how you purchased the unit you're lucky to get a part under warranty.
    Why?

I didn't see it posted that the unit was bought off the internet.

Take care.

I fell off my chair in total shock when I read the headline for this post. A new Goodman with problems???!!?? Hell has turned to ice.

We sell Goodman units and I have not seen anymore DOAs with them than any other unit. But, if you have dirty sock syndrome with one of their units---you are on your own with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Made in China, nuff said
    I thought they were made in Texas. They shipping cardboard says "Made in the USA".

Also, I'm sure that Goodman uses the same reversing valves as many other brands, including the more pricey brands.

-JB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast