Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Count me a Rheem Mod fan.

The good Lord knows I'm no brand shill. Quality differences just can't be proven. Tradesmen who think they know otherwise need to learn the term "anecdotal evidence".

However, features are another story. I had a customer who wanted quiet above all else. I told her that I had never installed one, but a bunch of fanatics at HVAC-Talk thought Rheem's Mod was the second coming. (Seriously, that was the sales pitch.) She said to install it. I did. She loves it. I think I do too. It's as quiet as a church mouse most of the time and ramps up like a mother when it needs to.

In terms of quality, for all I know the thing could be a POS that's going to cost me a dozen warranty calls. But in terms of how it runs, it's a beauty.

Others are welcome to correct me on this, but from what I've read other OEMs just haven't stepped up to the plate with the same functionality. Either they use board logic instead of a thermostat, or they don't have a SA sensor, or they don't have real modulating valves, or whatever.

I've been installing Rheem/Ruud for a long time. In general, they make a good quality and very quiet line of equipment. Years ago, they had trouble with their old square line of heat pumps and not enough drain holes. They made good on them, even when they weren't installed up on blocks. They also had a problem with a gas furnace heat exchanger crack. They sent a whole new furnace, paid me for the change out, and didn't require the old one back.

Over the years, I've seen the quality of other brands go up and down, but Rheem stays pretty consistent.

Twilli agrees
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Rheem/Ruud has the best control for modulating.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Come on now Bob. It's starting to sound like you're making a case for quality, a case that can't be proven. But anecdotes on the other hand...

If my neck of the woods CARB required furnace OEMs to reduce NOx emissions. For a time Rheem used poorly designed NOx inserts that killed quite a few heat exchangers. I didn't see that specific problem from any other OEM. That same generation of Rheem furnaces saw the advent of plastic inducer motor housings! As you know, they finally made the replacements out of metal. I have one sitting on my van right now. It's a nice little source of income. Also, I seem to recall reading some place that the Mod stat had some pretty serious issues there for a while. So, anecdotally speaking, I’d argue that Rheem is no more consistent than anyone else.

Don't misunderstand, you don't come off as a brand shill at all. I just get a little psychotic about the whole brand/quality issue. The last thing I want is this to turn into a Rheem love fest.

But as for how Rheem Mod operates, that is worth some love.
    Last edited by Irascible; 02-18-2008 at 06:27 AM.

I didn't mean to imply that Rheem was perfect. I'm changing an o/s fan motor today that's less than a year old. Sure Rheem tries things that don't work out, but they have to compete. I just find them to make a generally, across-the-board quality line that's quiet. I have never seen them do something stupid like install aluminum tubing in their refrigerant coils, and they were the first manufacturer to install Scroll compressors in all outside units, way before other brands switched to all Scroll. Every brand breaks, but Rheem and my supplier has never given me any crap when I have a problem.

Thats cause everything works better in PA.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Well this thread is about a HO, and frankly their installer who have had the same experience with that product as almost all others (when installed properly). It is something to actually experience something different with a furnace.

To be fair, NoX is a california thing, the rest of the world doesnt care nor use it. The inducer assembly is plastic and will remain plastic for 90+ furnaces. The water from a condensing furnace is acidic and short of noisy stainless steel, no metal will hold up in that application. This customer got a warranty that says if the HX ever fails, they get a new furnace (not a HX or a credit toward a new furnace).

I say install a few more. You dont have to be a brand shill, but it's ok to say a home run has been hit. You know as well as anyone that the folks on here will find a weakness and jump all over it regardless if it's equipment related, poor installation practices, or whatever but the ones who have or have installed this furnace simply can't find anything bad to say about it.

Early Criterion inducers were plastic and 10-12 years later, we are changing out cracked ones. Pretty good life for a part that spins 3300 RPM for thousands of hours a winter and puts up with 400 acidic flue gases

Our experience says Mod stats are the least reliable part of the furnace. Had a few bad stats, no problems with the furnace.

I saw nothing unreasonable in your post Bob. I just like straining for gnats. As Baldy points out, the plastic inducer housing in question was on 80 percent furnaces. He may be getting ten years, but out here our relatively light usage allows them to go much longer than that. I was changing those things on 5 year old furnaces. Poor airflow was no doubt a factor. Even so, plastic??? Eh, water under the bridge.

Anyway, I like compelling products and as Doc says this thing is a home run. It makes me wonder why I haven't heard Rheem guys talking about it sooner. I'm sure you must have. It's been around 10 years? Yet it seems a relatively new phenomenon to me. In 13 years of doing primarily residential service I've never seen one in the field until this install. Perhaps since other OEMs are now trying to answer is why I'm hearing about it now.

Irascible, you said that this was the first time you had installed the Rheem modulating furnace. The contractor who would be installing mine (if I go with him) hasn't installed these before (I think -- I'm going to ask him this question). Is it a bad idea to have a contractor install one of these if he's never done it before, or is it pretty much the same as any other furnace install. (FYI: His primary line is Trane, but he installs any brand of furnace, and says Rheem is his second most common install).

Tell him to READ THE MANUAL. Recent member with Mod installed, stat wired wrong so he wasn't modulating. I figured it out, his dealer couldn't. Another member a couple years ago, the dealer didn't install the supply air sensor. Then there was the Mod our guys installed in November and wired the humidifier wrong since the Mod does it differently than any other furnace. Oh but that homeowner sure loves the comfort the Mod gives!

Baldy said it. RTFM. There's nothing hard about installing a mod if your contractor is competent.

Put your e-mail in your profile and I'll e-mail you a link to the video. There's nothing especially interesting in it. But you may like to see it anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast