Thread: Hallowell HPs

Hallowell HPs

Hi does anyone have any direct experience with the Hallowell heat pumps.

Installed, monitored or have one themselves? Is the cooling side good? does the staging operate on the cooling side?
    Any greater benefits to their AHU vs another. Has anyone used an existing AHU? or alternate?
    What about delivery times?

I have read quite a few articles and communicated with the company but would like too hear some personal experiences and opinions. I realize not a lot of units are out there yet.
    We are seriously looking at adding these to our offerings to compete with the geo guys who do a great job in our area.

Thanks.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by airon View Post

does the staging operate on the cooling side?

delivery times?

I have read quite a few articles and communicated with the company but would like too hear some personal experiences and opinions.

I realize not a lot of units are out there yet.

We are seriously looking at adding these to our offerings to compete with the geo guys who do a great job in our area.
    I guess you'll have to be the front man / guinea pig.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

There was a post on this site a few months ago by "GreenGril". I believe the post was titled "Cold Climate heat pumps". If you search on her name or the title, you can find the post. And yes, it is GreenGril and not GreenGirl.

Good luck.

Thankyou Gary.

There are afew threads on these units I see.

They do appear to make sense at low temps ( to -30 deg f) in my area normal mid winter lows to -10. El co-op power costs at .09. Off peak rates are 3.9 cents. In my area at current prices LP at $2.05
    The question I have to overcome is, is an off peak dual fuel system cheaper and more beneficial to the customer.
    At apx 40-50% higher prices for an installed system with an estimated power/fuel cost savings of 60% over LP (MFG numbers) an 7 year payback could be expected without off peak rates. (not perfect math)
    The hallowell units in conjuction with off peak dual fuel rates would have a faster payback but I havent yet figured out how to operate on dual fuel with their AHU or if its even worth it to do so.
    Dual fuel off peak power is very big in my area but so are geo units for those that can justify them.

The main issue though is at half the cost of geosource with close operating costs when properly installed these units appear to be the ultimate winner.

The warranty on the Acadia is weak considering the high equipment cost - 5 years all parts including the compressors. I would like to see 10 years if I were buying this system. Not sure about warranties on compressors used for geothermal systems.

Take care.

Hallowell installed 3 months ago

I installed an Acadia in mid-November and thus far the results (compared to a previous heat pump) are encouraging. In general, the electric consumption is about 50% less than historical averages. As we have had a relatively cold winter (in Utah), it has been a good test.

As far as using existing AHUs, I think not as Hallowell provides a control board in the York AHU that is provided. I can provide greater detail but I would prefer to do so "off-line" at: ftb (at) cc (dot) usu (dot) edu

Thus far, my experience is positive although there is some info that is NOT provided in the manuals & I have had to go to tech support to get the details that I wanted. I am not an HVAC person but I have previously used an Armstrong heat pump since 1978 and have some 90% of the electric consumption and HDD data over that time period.

ftb

Thanks coldin utah I'll see if I cant figure out that E.
    50% is a nice savings.

oops double post.

How do I just delete these?
    Last edited by airon; 02-24-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: double post

Guinea Pig???

No one is a Guinea Pig with a Hallowell. US Govt purchased 2500 units after spending many tax dollars comparing to geo and natural gas. Have many running in COLD Canada now with fantastic results. The Acadia is proving itself over and over.