Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Your right. in heat mode the condenser doesn't take/absorb heat from the outside air.
    Since the condenser, is not outside.

In heat mode, the outside coil is now an evaporator coil. And the indoor coil is the condenser coil.
    As the refrigerant boils inside the evap coil, it absorbs heat from the air moving through the coil.
    Without the air moving through the coil. The coil would freeze up very quickly.

In heat mode, the indoor coil is the condenser coil, and the cool air of the house blowing across the coil cools the vapor so it can condense into a liquid.
    Without air flow, the refrigerants pressure would increase to an unsafe level(if there were no safeties on or in the system).
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by -MAKE- View Post
    Lets see...

You're right. It is evaporator that takes the heat from outside. Maybe a little confusing because the outside unit is condenser when the heat pump is used for cooling. Outside unit is not always condenser. Only in cooling mode.

It cools down and draws heat from outside air and boils (evaporates). This is the point of heat pump. Very cold refrigerant takes heat from cool air. This is the point that the "magic energy from nowhere" is added to the system.

You got it! Only this time the evaporator is in the outside unit.

Nope. The metering device and free space in the evaporator only create conditions in which evaporating is possible. Only thing missing is the heat and that comes from outside air. Now the refrigerant can boil. This is the reason why you can't use heat pump in very cold conditions. The refrigerant wont boil if there is no heat for phase change to happen.
    Very Nice. I can see it from your point of view now. Whats confusing is the suction line sweating and being cold as it enters into the compressor. I guess if the evaporator didn't take the heat from ambient air then the line entering the compressor would be much colder. I'm starting to see this from a different angle.

Its something for me to dedicate more time to, Thanks for taking the time to post that -MAKE-.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Your right. in heat mode the condenser doesn't take/absorb heat from the outside air.
    Since the condenser, is not outside.

In heat mode, the outside coil is now an evaporator coil. And the indoor coil is the condenser coil.
    As the refrigerant boils inside the evap coil, it absorbs heat from the air moving through the coil.
    Without the air moving through the coil. The coil would freeze up very quickly.

In heat mode, the indoor coil is the condenser coil, and the cool air of the house blowing across the coil cools the vapor so it can condense into a liquid.
    Without air flow, the refrigerants pressure would increase to an unsafe level(if there were no safeties on or in the system).
    Thanks, This is good information.

Angry Bigger Hammer Needed ! !! !!! !!!! !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by atlantis1 View Post
    Thats impossible,, What am I missing here?

The basics of thermodynamics as it pertains to the Heat Pump Cycle is what yoU're missing.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Hrm,, I think I understand now thanks to the nice people of this forum. I look forward in continuing my education each and every day.

I understand that I do not know everything, which is why I ask questions.

Again, Thanks for helping me understand everyone.

There is heat in air down to absolute zero.

A heat pump or air conditioner is "an engine in reverse".

An engine takes in heat energy from gasoline, puts out mechanical work, and discharges heated air at a lower temp. than found in the cylinders.

A heat pump takes in mechanical work from a motor, takes in heat at a low temp. by using a radiator that is colder than the surrounding air, and puts out heat into air at a higher temp. by using a hotter radiator.

Sadi Carnot did work on this.

I was not fond of thermodynamics. A lot of it seemed to go against common sense. I passed the course anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234