Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

williamson furnace

I have an older williamson furnace that is having problems. I change out the thermal couplier and it will work for awhile then stops coming on. I reset the pilot light and it works for awhile then stops running again until I reset the pilot light again. I am hoping to get through this winter with this furnace planning on a new furnace and remodeling the basement this fall.

What else can I look at? Thanks for any help!

The Yellow pages for HVAC service companies.

Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, Thank You.

Please read Site Rules Thank you.

You may or may not have a series and dangerous problem. best to have it checked so no one is harmed. Could have a bad heat exchanger.

CO (carbon monoxide) is not prejudice. It kills anyone it can.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

probably has a hole in the heat exchanger blowing out the pilot light . call for service or there could be a funeral service

Thermal expansion. Works good until exchanger heats up and crack widens and blows out pilot or sucks out pilot depending on blower orientation to heat exchanger. More importantly, perform a co test. If exchanger is cracked, it could kill you and your family. Get rid of it. (INEFFICIENT)
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-15-2009 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Removed DIY instructions

The little pilot light stays on never goes out but have to hit the reset to kick the burner on, sorry for the confusion there. The furnace will run it's full cycle fine but I keep having to hit the reset to that turns the main burner on.

Time to call a service company.

You may have a serious problem that can endanger you and your families health, and life.
    Call a contractor this morning.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Antiquated control system constant pilot not 100% safety shut off. Time for an upgrade to a new furnace. Only advise I can offer.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

grab the decal off that furnace for mo' if you decide to change it out,.....i bid on a house a few years ago and it has been one of the only ones i've got to see around here.

Turned out to be the pilot light nozzle needed cleaned furnace working great now.

Good to hear it's working well. Hope the heat exchanger is in sound condition. You should have a good carbon monoxide detector in your home.
    Don't forget though, that unit is sending about 40% of your gas out the chimney in wasted heat.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Sure,it's an old furnace.Sure it is not efficient,but It can still most likely be fixed.Unless it has a bad heat exchanger.That furnace has probably lasted longer than any new furnace will.Do you think that I am going to get rid of my 1972 olds 442 because it is old and does not get good gas mileage? I'm sure the guy will get a new furnace when he really needs to,or can afford to.I don't like people who use scare tactics to sell new equipment to those that may not be able to afford it.The furnace never hurt anybody for 20 or so years,and won't now.Unless it truly has a CO problem.Not just a cleaning .pilot adjustment ,gas valve or simple repair.Sure new and more efficient is great,but be honest to your customers.You would not like to be told that you need to buy a new car because you needed a good tuneup!!!!

My mother in law has an old gravity furnace that is very inefficient, but you know what? It has NEVER needed any thing done to it. No blower, no control board...just pilot safety and high limit.....sometimes I think high eff. goes a bit too far. Maybe I am just too old fashioned.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by zcomman View Post
    I have an older williamson furnace
    How old?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast