ceiling mounted heat pump

Hello all, I am hoping to get some direction here. I have a small 750 square foot house with an unfinished basement that was built in the 1940's. I have an electric forced air furnance in the basement and no AC. I want to have a unit put into my attic that will cover both AC and heat. I am not worried about heating or cooling the basement as it stays cool in the summer and in warm enough in the winter. I live in eastern washington state and it gets high 90's and the 100's in the summer and can get down to 0 in the winter. I want the unit out of the basement because of the space and soon to be remodeled. I want the duct work in the ceiling for the upstairs and again I am not worried about the basement.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look at? Electric or Gas? I live in a small town and there are not alot of options for companies to go with and I want to educate myself a little before setting an appointment. Any education you can spare is appreciated. thanks.

where about in Eastern Wa?

You really do NOT want to put it in the attic for multiple reasons;

service
    installation
    temperatures and others.

for your situation a unit called a ductless split may be the answer.

I live around Ephrata, why is the attic a bad idea?

In the "Land of No Basements", 90% of new systems are attic installations. If they are installed to code (access, walkway, lighting) they are fine. Summer attic ventilation is very important.

It's the systems that are shoe-horned into tiny attic spaces that don't meet code that are the nightmares
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Other than the access and fire code requirements as stated, the most serious problems of attic units in an 100+ summer and 0- winter area are:

1. exterior condensating problem (unit sweating) in summer
    2. inablility to use 90+ eff equipment in winter (condensate freezing)

Well, some of you may suggest extra unit/duct insulation, better gap sealing and winter drain pipe heating, yes, it may be ok. If you have to do this, don't forget the 2nd drain pan and have the vibration mitigation in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by shippin1 View Post
    I live around Ephrata, why is the attic a bad idea?

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Just a HO, but your small space, getting the HVAC out of the space and remodeling seems to suggest at least investigating a mini split HP. I have no personal experience with these. Maybe the pro's can wade in with opinions.

Not a pro, but I have seen a package unit with ducts in a newly constructed insulated exterior chase to the attic. Package units sit entirely outside and take up no space in the house.

Any decent HVAC contractor should be able to tell you if a package unit would work at your place, although you might have to mention the exterior chase to them. They may be unusual in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Not a pro, but I have seen a package unit with ducts in a newly constructed insulated exterior chase to the attic. Package units sit entirely outside and take up no space in the house.

Any decent HVAC contractor should be able to tell you if a package unit would work at your place, although you might have to mention the exterior chase to them. They may be unusual in your area.
    Beat me to it. An option.
    Have the contractor do a Man J Load calc and show you the difference in locations/heat gain.