Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R8.0 Duct Insulation and Flex Duct

I'm located in NJ and more and more I'm hearing about inspectors knocking down jobs because of substandard duct insulation and flex duct. I understand that all permits pulled as of Jan. 1,2008 requires R8.0 insulation, that's a pricey proposition for customers especially in this economic time of uncertainty. Anyone running into this situation.

Been R8 around here for over a year.
    But only in unconditioned uninsulated areas.

Adds a bite to the price. But so did 13 SEER.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yeah, I've known about it for a while and have been harping about it at my supply houses. They still only carry R4...but I can order R6

Then again I still see my competition passing inspection with no insulation at all. I don't know if the code enforcement helped or hurt

A sealed attic with the icynene and 50 CFM supply air is conditioned space

Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    A sealed attic with the icynene and 50 CFM supply air is conditioned space
    That's interesting. Around here if you seal an attic and don't install the proper vents (soffit, ridge, sidewall) the house will fail inspection. But I get your concept...only I wonder how the HO would feel about spending fuel money to heat an attic so the HVAC guy didn't have to insulate the duct?

50 CFM ain't squat.

How much do you think the HO spends to heat the ducts in the unconditioned attic?

$$$$$
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    50 CFM ain't squat.

How much do you think the HO spends to heat the ducts in the unconditioned attic?

$$$$$
    That was kind of the point. The HO should not have to at all...but I see it every day. And due to the fact that you can't "seal" an attic here you won't be heating it with 50cfm either.

An inspecter made me put a 12x6 supply grill on the ductwork (insulated R6) in a crawlspace with seven crawlspace vent windows around the perimeter. Sometimes you just gotta do it and move on.....

You need to introduce the code inspector to a code book. Sealed attics are not a code violation.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Im from NJ also and like you said there is alot of talk about guys getting knocked down for using R-6...hasnt happened to me yet knock on wood. Of course the people telling me this happen to work at the supply house I buy from but...anyway the R-8 is another 5 bucks a box and thats adds up real quick you know!! I know it wont be long before I make the switch...I also hear metal is going up again...I guess I better start printing my letter of price increase!

Dave in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by smadave View Post
    Im from NJ also and like you said there is alot of talk about guys getting knocked down for using R-6...hasnt happened to me yet knock on wood. Of course the people telling me this happen to work at the supply house I buy from but...anyway the R-8 is another 5 bucks a box and thats adds up real quick you know!! I know it wont be long before I make the switch...I also hear metal is going up again...I guess I better start printing my letter of price increase!

Dave in NJ
    Hey, Dave. I'm from just over the border in PA. It's actually the opposite here as far as the warehouses go. They are still selling r-4 and you have to fight to get them to order r-6. If you mention R-8 they blink at you and try to change the subject

I'm getting mad because I have to compete with guys still using
    r-4...and they get away with it.

R8 is better so why fight it.

If it is required in your area, use it the first time.

Just remember to bid the job accordingly.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Quote Originally Posted by Nubicon View Post
    That's interesting. Around here if you seal an attic and don't install the proper vents (soffit, ridge, sidewall) the house will fail inspection. But I get your concept...only I wonder how the HO would feel about spending fuel money to heat an attic so the HVAC guy didn't have to insulate the duct?
    You are not understanding the concept.
    The insulation is at the roof line, the attic is part of the conditioned space, no insulation between it and the rest of the house.
    When it is done properly, the HO would be spending 10-30% less to heat the home, even though there is more "conditioned space".
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Yeah, I have that concept down pat.

Nobody here was talking about a finished attic (is that what some of you mean by "sealed"?). We were talking about metal trunk lines in unfinished attics with no insulation/wrap. Most of the time the heating unit is stuffed into the attic as well. R-38 insulation between living space and attic floor. No insulation in the rafters.

And further, are you trying to imply that finishing an attic and heating/cooling it could represent a 10-30% reduction in cost to the HO?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast