Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possum

Confused Possum

Has anyone really et possum. I have et Deer ..ok, rabbit also ok, squirrel don't like it. But Possum can't imagine eatin it.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    ground hog and its good.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

I went to a game supper at the Elks Lodge. They had cooked up a couple of opussum. They only had two of them and a lot of guys so I only got a taste.
    Not much taste to it as I remember. Also there is very little meat on the animal in the first place.

The best wild meat I ever ate was bear meat.

We eat it two or three times a week here. If we cant find them fresh we just pick em up off the road.

http://www.globe-guardian.com/archiv...ted/tl0004.htm

I had a father-in-law that liked to play any kind of joke he could think of. And we'd play on each other back and forth.
    We lived in Arkansas and one day he brought me dinner in the form of what he called a "Swamp Rabbit" He said it was a local favorite. As I hadn't lived there that long I didn't know better.
    He had already skinned it and so I thanked him and he left.
    Next day he couldn't stop laughing at the fact he had gotten me to eat a possum.
    What I remember is it wasn't like rabbit. Dark meat and kinda greasy. Now it might have been how it was prepared like maybe the oil wasn't hot enough but I don't think I'd look forward to it again.

How did I get try to get even? I replaced the filling in a Twinky with Brill Cream, the hair stuff. He wolfed it down and never even noticed. ???
    Tracers work both ways.

Living in Jersey, I can't imagine eating one of these large rodent lookin things found smeared all over the roads around the Meadowlands...I'm sure in the country they don't look as foul and filthy...What's the taste like anyway? Based on their steady diet of landfill garbage 'round these parts, I'd rather not find out...

Quote Originally Posted by drcustom View Post
    I'm sure in the country they don't look as foul and filthy......
    Oh yes they do. Them dang things look like a walking disease. My dogs used to kill them all the time and even they wouldn't eat them.

I et lota stuff.... Lizard, snake, armadillo, wild guinea pig, chocolate covered ants, bison, humming bird, but no darn possum.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

My grandaddy on my mother's side used to trap them and keep them in a pen for a couple of weeks, feeding them leftover cornbread and buttermilk to "clean them up" a bit. My mother told me about it and said she had eaten it when she was a little girl. She said it was greasy also. When you're dirt poor, you ain't picky. I read a book written around 1907 called "Camping and Woodcraft"(one of my favorites), written by Horace Kephart. In it he gives a recipe for possum and sweet potatoes. I'd probably try it in a pinch. Can't be much worse than catfish, considering what they eat, unless the possum is rabid...
    Luke 6:31

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    I et lota stuff.... Lizard, snake, armadillo, wild guinea pig, chocolate covered ants, bison, humming bird, but no darn possum.
    Hummingbird? Whats up with that?

Muskrat its good if your camping and left the cooler of food at home never tried possums but Im up for it if Im camping and hungry

Frog Legs

What? No frog legs? They're great and easy to make. We usually batter 'em up with beer and bisquick before pan frying them. I don't know what, but those things just do NOT want to die. It's kinda creepy to see them still crawling around on their front legs after you've already finished eating their back ones. Even if you run a knife down their head they still act like they got somewhere to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast