Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast

Trane vs. York centrifugal

Our plant is planning to retire our 1951 York 600 ton R11 electric centrifugal and replace it with either a low-pressure Trane using Suva-123 or a high-pressure York using 134A refrigerant (also 600 ton).
    I would be interested in hearing opinions about the reliability and efficiency of the two units. The Trane design is very simple (sealed motor, no gearing), but uses an ozone-depleting gas, although they guarantee a very minute leakage rate. On the other hand, we have a 57 year-old York that still runs, so I would be tempted to stay with them.

If it were me ,I would stay with the York 134A Chiller, with a VSD Why would you want to replace a chiller with a refrigerant that is a CFC and is going to be phased out in the near future. The 134A machine is a lot less labor intensive,and is proven to be a safe refrigerant for the enviroment and the technician. Iwould look at the energy savings with a York VSD Machine and the kw per ton vs the Trane machine.

Quote Originally Posted by facilitiesguy View Post
    Our plant is planning to retire our 1951 York 600 ton R11 electric centrifugal and replace it with either a low-pressure Trane using Suva-123 or a high-pressure York using 134A refrigerant (also 600 ton).
    I would be interested in hearing opinions about the reliability and efficiency of the two units. The Trane design is very simple (sealed motor, no gearing), but uses an ozone-depleting gas, although they guarantee a very minute leakage rate. On the other hand, we have a 57 year-old York that still runs, so I would be tempted to stay with them.
    You have a chiller that is 57 years running and you want to get another brand.Now that poor old chilled has made millions of gallons of cold water for you loyally and you are even thinking of changing brands now were is your loyalty at

I would also go with the York YK machine with the "P" syle compressor on a VSD. We have installed several of these machines and they work great. Just make sure you have good tower water control. You want cooooooooooold condenser water. I was a great fan of Trane CHVE/F units until the YK came out. Go with York on R-134a since R-123 is on the hit list along with R-22.
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

I have heard that Trane that is going to be at a standstill with their centrifugal chillers that run on 123.

Dont remember the details but in 2010 I think they would not be able to produce.
    What we have here, is a failure to communicate........

What about efficiency. No one can come close to a Trane CVHE . As for the 123 Phase out . Why would you phase out a zero ODP and GWP refrigerant.??? R123 phase out will be pushed back just like the R22 phase out date and R123 is used to manufacture other refrigerants. Low pressure is the way to go on large tonnage. low pressure ,chiller leaks- sucks air. High pressure- chiller leaks big mess oil lost refrigerant etc etc lots of $$$$$$ to fix.

I would go with a Trane CVH model. 600 tons, that is a ton of refrigerant. High pressure just don't cut it on effiecency. Trane is coming out with a new CH530 platform called the Adapt-A-View. All I can say is look out York.

Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    What about efficiency. No one can come close to a Trane CVHE . As for the 123 Phase out . Why would you phase out a zero ODP and GWP refrigerant.??? R123 phase out will be pushed back just like the R22 phase out date and R123 is used to manufacture other refrigerants. Low pressure is the way to go on large tonnage. low pressure ,chiller leaks- sucks air. High pressure- chiller leaks big mess oil lost refrigerant etc etc lots of $$$$$$ to fix.
    man how can you make statements like that,is 123 cheap,I know high pressure machines leak but damn man if you keep up maintenance on them,they perk like their supposed to.Hmm low pressure machines need purge units I guess they don't leak ay expain I need help with this

Jci

Remember JCI controls York!

Quote Originally Posted by dgruber View Post
    Remember JCI controls York!
    WHat does this have to do with anything?????

Frick . No R123 is not cheap but why would I need it the chiller didnt loose its load like a high pressure machine it now just has air and refrigerant in it .Also you forgot to mention my main point so I'll make it again
    EFFICIENCY EFFICIENCY EFFICIENCY EFFICIENCY. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either brand is fine by me. They will both need maintanance and service at some point. JMHO
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slb8101 View Post
    If it were me ,I would stay with the York 134A Chiller, with a VSD Why would you want to replace a chiller with a refrigerant that is a CFC and is going to be phased out in the near future. The 134A machine is a lot less labor intensive,and is proven to be a safe refrigerant for the enviroment and the technician. Iwould look at the energy savings with a York VSD Machine and the kw per ton vs the Trane machine.

1. I heard that R-123 used to make R-134a, if so what is going to happen to R-134a if 123 is out of production?

2.How can you say a R-134a machine is a lot less labor intensive???
    You are always fixing leaks, they are great for the service mechanic.
    3. Ya definitely look at the energy use of both machines, but, look at the usage of the whole plant, not just the chiller. Remember the meter is on the bldg , not the chiller. What does it take to make that Coooooooollllldddddd water that Stickerhead says Yorks like, and makes them efficient?
    4. How is R-123 not safe to work with? Do you use it to wash your parts?
    Proper handling and recovery techniques do not endanger the mechanic or the enviroment.

I have a site with 2- 900 ton CVHF's that are ten years old, each has over 50,000 hours run time. In ten years there has been ZERO # of refrig added to these chillers. All we have done is change the oil once and normal maint.
    How many YK's can say they have never had any refrig added in ten years, hell, even 1 year.

Page 1 of 13 1234567811 ... LastLast