Keeping a Mr. Slim Fan "On" after an "Off"

We have a customer that wants to modify the way their Mr. Slim Series MSH09 operates. From what I can determine, the unit fans are to operate continuously (in either heat or cool mode). The problem is that these units are in an assisted living center and the occupants can't stand the thought of something running when it shouldn’t be, therefore they turn the units “off” via the remote once they are comfortable. This is causing some mold issues. I understand the best thing is for the occupants to keep the fans “on”, but trying to convince 200 octogenarians that is another thing.

We would like to run the fans for 8-10 minutes after the unit has been turned “off” via the remote. My thought is a delay on break time delay relay, but these are not standard fans. I have downloaded the service manual and looked at the wiring diagram, just not enough information. Has anyone ever tried to rewire a Mr. Slim? Outside chance I know, but thought I would throw it out …

Thanks, Chuck

the fan runs all the time as the temperature sensor is in the fan coil unit

tell them the low wattage drawn by the fan coil constantly filters the air and reduces temperature stratification

Quote Originally Posted by Chukkuls View Post
    . This is causing some mold issues. I understand the best thing is for the occupants to keep the fans “on”, but trying to convince 200 octogenarians that is another thing.
    Where is the mold problem? In the MR Slim or the building? Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Mold is on the exterior of the Mr. Slim indoor unit.

Sounds like a give and take deal. Place is probably short on o/a and ventilation This compounds the problem.Take the remote away from the residents. a little mental discomfort beats mold
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

ive heard nothing but horror stories from people trying to modify a mr slim a/h. best of luck if you try

My sentiments, dont band aid where you need stiches
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

I gutted all the controls out of a mr slim once and installed a 24v controls system with the programmable stat on the wall. tired of the BS associated with the retarded remotes...all that

it was easy. a couple relays, the transformer, and boom! online

good deal

you should be comfortable with basic a/c controls before attempting this! haha

the thing that made it work is that I only needed one fan speed (full speed, max cool) and that the fan ran off line voltage. if you have a different type of fan that requires the solid state controls from the mr slim brain, you may not get away with it.

mount the remote control in a lockbox.instruct maintenance on its proper use.
    Take your time & do it right!

I think(but don't quote me) that mr. slim blower motors are DC inverter motors...I changed one a few years ago that was and it was a PITA...So I don't know if a time delay relay will work...I do know that their tech support is "OK" and has helped me with my issues from weird installs...

I think the motor has a molex connector that has 3 wires im sure you could use a relay to break it somehow but without a schematic I can't tell you for sure...
    "If history repeats itself I am so getting a dinosaur"

I guess if I saw mold I'd have to ? is the supply air too cold. If the units have some time on them a look at the fan might show the fan dirty. I know when they get this way the dirt will collect and moving less air will drop the temp.

They are a pain to clean.
    Tracers work both ways.