Thread: laptop or PDA

laptop or PDA

Which one does everyone have in their van. if you have one at all, and which programs do you use to perform your daily job with?

I want to jump in on this one, if you don't mind with a additional Q:

If you use a Notebook, what kind of printer works well and holds up to the rough treatment?
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

no problem

wheelbaron, thats another question I was going to ask!

I use a laptop with Ram Mount and a cannon IP90 Printer in the floor (also have mount) Just a cheep inverter does the trick. Also have a verizion wireless card. Great to be able to keep all your stuff with you. Keep in mind my toshiba hard drive crashed after 2 years of banging around, but i do not see the need for a tuffbook. I just get the cheepo laptop so if it gets ripped off. Also I remove it from site in bad areas if I cant see the truck.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Talking pda

I use a HTC Touch, combined with Canon IP90.Most used program is daynotez (for work orders etc and using voice recorder),and Timepanic for time sheets.I have a 4 gig micro SD card to keep all my technical files etc.Great phone and windows media player

Quote Originally Posted by randyr View Post
    I use a HTC Touch, combined with Canon IP90.Most used program is daynotez (for work orders etc and using voice recorder),and Timepanic for time sheets.I have a 4 gig micro SD card to keep all my technical files etc.Great phone and windows media player
    Hey Randyr, is that like the HTC P4000? I just got one and it is exactly what I needed. I haven't printed anything yet, I was looking for a bluetooth printer or a printserver that I can put in my van.
    I noticed you are in Campbell River, I'm in Prince George.

I carry a HP notebook in my truck.

I dont have a printer yet.

I cant justify spending the monthly payment for a cell phone wireless card. I dont even pay that much for high speed at my home.
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

I have an HP I Pac...just haven't set it up yet, still looking for a good program to keep track of clients and performance pay stuff...it prints wirelessly so I will get it all set up sometime this spring if I don't go with an all in one smart phone instead
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    I have an HP I Pac...just haven't set it up yet, still looking for a good program to keep track of clients and performance pay stuff...it prints wirelessly so I will get it all set up sometime this spring if I don't go with an all in one smart phone instead
    How much was that?
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

I spent 225 for it and another 25 for a good hard case for it. I really like it, but pocket excel doesn't support drop down menus. I had all my performance pay set up on my lap top so that all I had to do was touch the screen and select my levels....then it would calculate everything for me...but it won't work that way on the I Pac...so I am looking for a different program for it....something that will allow me to make good use of the touch screen and not have to try and type everything in with my stylus.
    I need a new signature.....

Data Logging Report

We are currently completing software for a System Data Report for Windows Mobile 5.0 enabled devices that I believe will be a good fit for some of you. I would like to share more information about its capabilities but respect that this forum is not intended as an advertising platform. We will be expanding the software to Palm based and Windows PC in the future. For those who may be interested in this software application it will be available soon on our website.l

Joe
    ExactCharge Industries

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    I use a laptop with Ram Mount and a cannon IP90 Printer in the floor (also have mount) Just a cheep inverter does the trick. Also have a verizion wireless card. Great to be able to keep all your stuff with you. Keep in mind my toshiba hard drive crashed after 2 years of banging around, but i do not see the need for a tuffbook. I just get the cheepo laptop so if it gets ripped off. Also I remove it from site in bad areas if I cant see the truck.
    So, what happens if it gets ripped off and all of your personal and business info is embedded in the hard drive? What about customer credit card numbers? Employee information such as SS numbers?

Scary thoughts.

Personally I just want a set up that I can keep customer profiles, with equipment list, Invoices that I can print out, PDF files on tec specs, and so on. I would not include any personal information for the customers, just a skeleton list with names and equipment models, filter and belt sizes, no addresses or phone numbers. Also would be handy for writing out service agreements on site. I am one of the worst dyslexic spellers you will ever meet, and had written invoices kill me.

Lot of other things would come in handy like Load Calc program.

Would have to do some really good theft protection with it, pass code with two tries only, after that the HD wipes.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall