Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodman vs York

Post Likes

Goodman vs York

Hello Everyone. I am in the process of purchasing a new unit and need some advice in which is the better system or best for me and my family. I was quoted roughly around the same price (a few hundred off between systems) but while doing research I really could not find much on either system on pros and cons. I found this website and I think all of you can help so I appreciate your feedback.

The first system is the York 3S Series 14 Seer 3 ton unit with the York GY9S gas furnace 92% AFUE at 90,000 BTU.

The other system we were quoted was the Goodman SSX16 series 16 Seer with the Multi-position, Variable speed gas furnace, 95% AFUE at 90,000 BTU.

I know part of it has to do with the contractor themselves and I've done as much research I can about both companies. They both have been in business for a while (One longer than the other) and neither one have had any complaints through the Better Business Bureau.

Also it seems as if Goodman has a better warranty than York but I am flexible with that. I do plan to live here for a long time. (In case this helps)

Through your expereince which would be the better system? Please let me know if you need anything and I will try to respond a.s.a.p.

Thanks for your help!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Garc33 View Post
    Also it seems as if Goodman has a better warranty than York but I am flexible with that. I do plan to live here for a long time. (In case this helps)
    I think you have your answer right here.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Do More Research On Your Contractors
    I Am Partial To Goodman,but Others Will Disagree[back Me Up Roboteq]
    Excellent Warranty On Gmfg Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

P.s. This Will Be Another Long Thread Full Of Ranting Lol

Post Likes
    I will say it too, Goodman is a great product. HVAC2B is correct, someone ignorant will come along and make a mess of this, but please disregard there comments and go with the brand and contractor you feel comfortable with.

Post Likes
    trane is great, but i would go with the goodman, they are slightly louder on the condencer side, but the warranty more than makes up for that, also get the 99 year compressor warranty. it's very affordable. i won't tell ya how much. (i don't want to throw anyone under the bus there)

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Longer warranties do not make the product better,just look at various car brands.Extended warraties are available for any brand.

I would favor the VS fan,regardless of brand.

If price is the most important to you,then maybe go Goodman.

Post Likes
    None of the York 3S get 14 SEER without a VS blower. The GY9 is a PSC blower, so you not going to get 14 SEER.

The GY9 is a builder grade furnace(Latitude), you can get a 14 SEER Latitude condenser.(it is not a 3S) Same warranty as the 3S line though.

Personally I would want a VS blower no matter which brand you choose.

Post Likes
    It`s like do I pick a Yugo or Hundai sure Hundai has a great warranty but taking it in the shop every day gets old

Post Likes
    In regards to the VS blower, I am unfamiliar with that. Does York make that? How much on average does it cost more? Since it seems if the system does not have the VS blower what SEER rating will it get instead?

Also looking at prior posts it seems as if people aren't big fans of Goodman? Why??? Would you rate the York system better than Goodman or are they about the same. It did seem that they did not have the best product at first but they have shown improvements.

When I was quoted the Goodman system was 300.00 more that the York but it seemed to be a better system (Seer rating/Furnace). Why would it be still reasonably priced with a better system?

Also I was quoted with the Trane XL15i for about $1500.00 more but as a heat pump. Is a heat pump better than a gas furnace? I currently have the Trane XE1000 as a heat pump. Your advice is appreciated.

Post Likes

gas line capacity

Is a 2" gas line (2psi) adequate to supply a gas clothes dryer and gas water heater on top of an existing gas stove and dual fuel heat pump / furnace? Two person family, 2000 sq' home. Gas meter is 40' from furnace, 80" from stove. Dryer and water heater will be 90' from meter.
    Thanks.
    J.

Post Likes
    You have a 2 lb service?

Unusual for resi around here.

But yes, a 2" pipe at 2 PSI will carry a standard resi gas furnace, WH, range and drier, for the distances you listed.
    And then some.

Are you sure you have a 2lb service.

Post Likes
    I agree with snck, we have been installing goodman for over 2 years, we started with Lennox, then with Trane and Carrier, also with York, and now with Goodman. They do offer the best warranty in the market and you can also get the 99 year warranty on the compressor.

Post Likes
    Warranty on Goodman is great. If you buy a Goodman make sure you go on line and registar for the extra 5 years on the parts side... I know they say 10 years parts but you must registar for the last five years...Also ask you HVAC contractor for a 10 year goodcare warranty on the labor....VARIABLE SPEED NO MATTER WHAT FURNACE YOU BUY.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energywise View Post
    Warranty on Goodman is great. If you buy a Goodman make sure you go on line and registar for the extra 5 years on the parts side... I know they say 10 years parts but you must registar for the last five years...Also ask you HVAC contractor for a 10 year goodcare warranty on the labor....VARIABLE SPEED NO MATTER WHAT FURNACE YOU BUY.
    Question to you Energywise and others as well. I spoke with the company who provided me the quote and they told me that the quote he provided me included the 10 year Goodcare warranty. I asked a couple of times because I did not want to get confused with the normal warranty compared to the Goodcare warranty and he told me that it was included. Does this sound right???

Plus they explained to me that the agreed upon price that they give me would be all that they would be asking for. If they had to add any additional costs they would not charge me. They also provided me with a complete inspection list of what they do with their work which seems very extensive. What other things should I be asking the contractor. Since this is my first time doing this I don't know what else I should be looking for other then the BBB which I did already.

Thanks for the help

Post Likes

Garc33

If a goodcare 10 year parts and labor warranty was included in the quote. Ask for the GOODCARE extended warranty form copy. The form requires your signiture for the 10 years... Any goodman contractor will honor this warranty if your contractor happens to disappear. Also dealer is paying the cost to buy this warranty from Goodman.

Mark

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snack pack View Post
    trane is great, but i would go with the goodman, they are slightly louder on the condencer side, but the warranty more than makes up for that, also get the 99 year compressor warranty. it's very affordable. i won't tell ya how much. (i don't want to throw anyone under the bus there)
    That is a R410a system with a very quiet Copeland scroll compressor in the Goodman 16 SEER unit, so sound is not an issue with this particular unit.

There is a lifetime compressor warranty already on that unit with a limited unit replacement warranty as well. Remember, the only HVAC persons who sell equipment who are going to claim that warranty does not prove a better product are those selling equipment that the manufactures don't feel good enough about their product to put a better warranty on it.

This of course applies only to standard factory warranties. Throwing in the "extended" warranty red herring is just to through consumers seeking value oriented products off the path.

In this case the Goodman is the better deal; 16 SEER (is a good number) vs a possible 14 SEER on the cooling side and 95% vs 92% on the heating side makes this choice a no brainer.

This is not an apples to apples comparrison. York does make higher efficiency equipment that would be more comparible to the Goodman system quoted.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Longer warranties do not make the product better,just look at various car brands.Extended warraties are available for any brand.

I would favor the VS fan,regardless of brand.

If price is the most important to you,then maybe go Goodman.
    Extended warraty is not mentioned.

The Goodman system is already rated with a VS blower, and I agree that one should be part of every new install.

Price is not the only issue for this poster. The poster has already stated that the prices are nearly the same. The Goodman system in this comparison is simply a much more efficient system for relatively the same amount of money. Those outside of the blue oval club refer to this as "added value".
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by praha99 View Post
    It`s like do I pick a Yugo or Hundai sure Hundai has a great warranty but taking it in the shop every day gets old
    So does reading ridiculous comparisons to cars from people with no real input get old.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Garc33 View Post
    In regards to the VS blower, I am unfamiliar with that. Does York make that? How much on average does it cost more? Since it seems if the system does not have the VS blower what SEER rating will it get instead?

Also looking at prior posts it seems as if people aren't big fans of Goodman? Why??? Would you rate the York system better than Goodman or are they about the same. It did seem that they did not have the best product at first but they have shown improvements.

When I was quoted the Goodman system was 300.00 more that the York but it seemed to be a better system (Seer rating/Furnace). Why would it be still reasonably priced with a better system?

Also I was quoted with the Trane XL15i for about $1500.00 more but as a heat pump. Is a heat pump better than a gas furnace? I currently have the Trane XE1000 as a heat pump. Your advice is appreciated.
    Professional HVAC people who do not sell and install Goodman producst don't like Goodman producst because those professionals who do sell and install Goodman products along with other brands are making a lot more sales with the Goodman; more bang for the buck for the consumer and the contractor.

That is why there is more Goodman branded HVAC equipment heating and cooling more homes in the United States then any other singular branded equipment.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Professional HVAC people who do not sell and install Goodman producst don't like Goodman producst because those professionals who do sell and install Goodman products along with other brands are making a lot more sales with the Goodman; more bang for the buck for the consumer and the contractor.

That is why there is more Goodman branded HVAC equipment heating and cooling more homes in the United States then any other singular branded equipment.
    Hi RoBoTeq,

I appreciate the advice. Can I ask you this since I have not yet gotten an answer. When it comes to a contractor what should I be looking for, what questions should I ask, and where else can I check on the company. It seems from other posts I read the contractor is the most important thing (I would also agree.) and I want to make sure I cross my T's and dot my I's since this a long term investment. It seems as if this company stands by their work but how else can I check. Am I missing anything else?

Page 1 of 11 12345678 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in