Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodman vs York

Goodman vs York

Hello Everyone. I am in the process of purchasing a new unit and need some advice in which is the better system or best for me and my family. I was quoted roughly around the same price (a few hundred off between systems) but while doing research I really could not find much on either system on pros and cons. I found this website and I think all of you can help so I appreciate your feedback.

The first system is the York 3S Series 14 Seer 3 ton unit with the York GY9S gas furnace 92% AFUE at 90,000 BTU.

The other system we were quoted was the Goodman SSX16 series 16 Seer with the Multi-position, Variable speed gas furnace, 95% AFUE at 90,000 BTU.

I know part of it has to do with the contractor themselves and I've done as much research I can about both companies. They both have been in business for a while (One longer than the other) and neither one have had any complaints through the Better Business Bureau.

Also it seems as if Goodman has a better warranty than York but I am flexible with that. I do plan to live here for a long time. (In case this helps)

Through your expereince which would be the better system? Please let me know if you need anything and I will try to respond a.s.a.p.

Thanks for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garc33 View Post
    Also it seems as if Goodman has a better warranty than York but I am flexible with that. I do plan to live here for a long time. (In case this helps)
    I think you have your answer right here.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Do More Research On Your Contractors
    I Am Partial To Goodman,but Others Will Disagree[back Me Up Roboteq]
    Excellent Warranty On Gmfg Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

P.s. This Will Be Another Long Thread Full Of Ranting Lol

I will say it too, Goodman is a great product. HVAC2B is correct, someone ignorant will come along and make a mess of this, but please disregard there comments and go with the brand and contractor you feel comfortable with.

trane is great, but i would go with the goodman, they are slightly louder on the condencer side, but the warranty more than makes up for that, also get the 99 year compressor warranty. it's very affordable. i won't tell ya how much. (i don't want to throw anyone under the bus there)

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Longer warranties do not make the product better,just look at various car brands.Extended warraties are available for any brand.

I would favor the VS fan,regardless of brand.

If price is the most important to you,then maybe go Goodman.

None of the York 3S get 14 SEER without a VS blower. The GY9 is a PSC blower, so you not going to get 14 SEER.

The GY9 is a builder grade furnace(Latitude), you can get a 14 SEER Latitude condenser.(it is not a 3S) Same warranty as the 3S line though.

Personally I would want a VS blower no matter which brand you choose.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It`s like do I pick a Yugo or Hundai sure Hundai has a great warranty but taking it in the shop every day gets old

In regards to the VS blower, I am unfamiliar with that. Does York make that? How much on average does it cost more? Since it seems if the system does not have the VS blower what SEER rating will it get instead?

Also looking at prior posts it seems as if people aren't big fans of Goodman? Why??? Would you rate the York system better than Goodman or are they about the same. It did seem that they did not have the best product at first but they have shown improvements.

When I was quoted the Goodman system was 300.00 more that the York but it seemed to be a better system (Seer rating/Furnace). Why would it be still reasonably priced with a better system?

Also I was quoted with the Trane XL15i for about $1500.00 more but as a heat pump. Is a heat pump better than a gas furnace? I currently have the Trane XE1000 as a heat pump. Your advice is appreciated.

gas line capacity

Is a 2" gas line (2psi) adequate to supply a gas clothes dryer and gas water heater on top of an existing gas stove and dual fuel heat pump / furnace? Two person family, 2000 sq' home. Gas meter is 40' from furnace, 80" from stove. Dryer and water heater will be 90' from meter.
    Thanks.
    J.

You have a 2 lb service?

Unusual for resi around here.

But yes, a 2" pipe at 2 PSI will carry a standard resi gas furnace, WH, range and drier, for the distances you listed.
    And then some.

Are you sure you have a 2lb service.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I agree with snck, we have been installing goodman for over 2 years, we started with Lennox, then with Trane and Carrier, also with York, and now with Goodman. They do offer the best warranty in the market and you can also get the 99 year warranty on the compressor.

Warranty on Goodman is great. If you buy a Goodman make sure you go on line and registar for the extra 5 years on the parts side... I know they say 10 years parts but you must registar for the last five years...Also ask you HVAC contractor for a 10 year goodcare warranty on the labor....VARIABLE SPEED NO MATTER WHAT FURNACE YOU BUY.

Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast