Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,876

    Arrow Braze vs. Solder...need some thoughts

    Well, I was sitting here thinking about something...what do you guys think is better for copper linesets? Brazing, the traditional way with torches and nitrogen....

    or

    Soldering with a turbo torch, flux and some #8 solder?? (no nitrogen needed)
    I need a new signature.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,793
    oh boy.....this may get ugly!!!Name:  69.gif
Views: 256
Size:  1.7 KB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,876
    Yeah it probably will, but I am not saying that one is right or wrong, just curious to hear what everyone's thoughts are
    I need a new signature.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    656
    soft solder is for water lines and drains. use brazing rods

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by tjc76 View Post
    soft solder is for water lines and drains. use brazing rods
    ditto
    You can't fix stupid

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    wedged in freezer shelf
    Posts
    6,951
    leaks leaks leaks
    410 410 410 look out fire in the holeeeeeeee
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    s.w FL
    Posts
    19
    why not braze with turbo torch?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by Downeasthvac View Post
    why not braze with turbo torch?
    LOL...I guess I was talking more about a hand held propane torch with the trigger and all. Would take forever!!
    I need a new signature.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    2,919
    Stay Brite # 8. Many use brazing rods without nitrogen, Stay Brite #8 would be better. Plus Stay Brite does not weaken the base metal like brazing does.

    But I can do it either way, and do.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,793
    Ive used turbo torch in a pinch but you really need oxygen to get a hotter flame....and turbo does very poorly on large OD copper

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BAYOU LAND
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Well, I was sitting here thinking about something...what do you guys think is better for copper linesets? Brazing, the traditional way with torches and nitrogen....

    or

    Soldering with a turbo torch, flux and some #8 solder?? (no nitrogen needed)
    I like to braze with 15% silver with a nitro purge

    and sometimes i'll even use flux

    has anyone tried that "COOL GELL" from Johnstone? pretty good to use on service valves,and to spray on insulation in attics when brazing!!!!IMO

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,876
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC2B View Post
    I like to braze with 15% silver with a nitro purge

    and sometimes i'll even use flux

    has anyone tried that "COOL GELL" from Johnstone? pretty good to use on service valves,and to spray on insulation in attics when brazing!!!!IMO
    Yes I have used that and it is good stuff....plus it washes away with water! Beats the hell out of Thermotrap! That stuff was nasty!
    I need a new signature.....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,915
    If you are not brazing the lines with a silphos alloy, you are violating almost every manufacturers installation instructions.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event